Is the range of a laser beam limited by the width of its wave packet?

In summary: This does not have anything to do with the transverse field mode, which can be approximately Gaussian/Hermite/Laguerre, depending on the cavity cross-section shape.In summary, even the best lasers have a small line width, which can be Lorentzian or Gaussian depending on the type of laser. The longitudinal mode profile can become complicated for pulsed sources, but the temporal profile of a pulse is related to the spectral lineshape. The transverse field mode can also be approximately Gaussian, Hermite, or Laguerre depending on the cavity cross-section shape. The wave emitted by a continuous laser source with a certain line-width may exhibit randomly jagged structures due to sources of noise.
Anton Alice
I think I am in a misconception concerning laser beams:
Even the best lasers have a small line width. The spectral line is gauss-shaped. therefore the wave in position-pace is also a gauss-shaped wave packet, that travels with a certain group velocity. But this gauss shaped wave packet has a finite width. Doesnt that mean, that the laser beam has a finite range, which is equal to the width of the wave packet?

Science news on Phys.org
Anton Alice said:
The spectral line is gauss-shaped.
In fact, it is difficult to realize a laser with such a line shape.
Anton Alice said:
therefore the wave in position-pace is also a gauss-shaped wave packet,
The conjugate space for frequency is time, not position. You probably intended to mean the longitudinal position coordinate, the wave envelope in longitudinal direction will also be Gaussian if the wave is of plane wave.
Anton Alice said:
Doesnt that mean, that the laser beam has a finite range, which is equal to the width of the wave packet?
Taken a snapshot of a pulsed laser, yes it has finite range in space but this pulse is actually travelling.

I don't understand what you mean. How does the wave emitted by a continuous laser source with a certain line-width look like?
blue_leaf77 said:
The conjugate space for frequency is time, not position. You probably intended to mean the longitudinal position coordinate, the wave envelope in longitudinal direction will also be Gaussian if the wave is of plane wave.
If the Shape of the Beam in Time domain(at some fixed position) is gaussshaped , then it should be also gauss-shaped in position domain, not? this is why I directly concluded that. But I don't quite understand yet. What is the difference between what I concluded for the shape of the wave packet, and what you said about the longitudinal coordinate?

blue_leaf77 said:
Taken a snapshot of a pulsed laser, yes it has finite range in space but this pulse is actually travelling.

How about continuous lasers? I can not imagine them to emit gauss shaped wave forms.

Why does a laser have only a finite coherence length? because of the line width, right? and the coherence length itself would be then correlated to the spatial length of the wave packet.

Anton Alice said:
I think I am in a misconception concerning laser beams:
Even the best lasers have a small line width. The spectral line is gauss-shaped. therefore the wave in position-pace is also a gauss-shaped wave packet, that travels with a certain group velocity. But this gauss shaped wave packet has a finite width. Doesnt that mean, that the laser beam has a finite range, which is equal to the width of the wave packet?

In the limit, spectral lineshapes for homogeneously broadened lasers are typically Lorentzian, while spectral lineshapes for inhomogeneously broadened lasers are Gaussian. In between, the lineshape is called a 'Voight profile". Longitudinal mode profiles can become complicated for pulsed sources, but you are on the right track that the temporal profile of a pulse is related to the spectral lineshape.

This does not have anything to do with the transverse field mode, which can be approximately Gaussian/Hermite/Laguerre, depending on the cavity cross-section shape.

Anton Alice said:
If the Shape of the Beam in Time domain(at some fixed position) is gaussshaped , then it should be also gauss-shaped in position domain, not?
Consider a Gaussian beam, in such a beam the amplitude is modulated by ##\frac{A_0}{\sqrt{1+(z/z_R)^2}}##. At least the presence of this term will make the beam envelope along the propagation axis not exactly Gaussian when you take a snapshot of the beam. Only for the case of perfect plane wave does the longitudinal envelope is similar to that in time domain.
Anton Alice said:
How does the wave emitted by a continuous laser source with a certain line-width look like?
It depends on the lineshape, but in practice there are always sources of noise which modifies the intensity profile so that it exhibits randomly jagged structures.

Related to Is the range of a laser beam limited by the width of its wave packet?

1. What is the finite range of a laser beam?

The finite range of a laser beam refers to the maximum distance that the laser can travel before it loses its intensity and becomes too weak to be detected. This distance can vary depending on the power and quality of the laser, but it is typically in the range of several kilometers.

2. How does the finite range of a laser beam affect its effectiveness?

The finite range of a laser beam can greatly impact its effectiveness, as it limits the distance at which the laser can be used for various applications. Additionally, as the laser travels further, it becomes weaker and less precise, making it less effective in targeting specific objects or areas.

3. Can the finite range of a laser beam be extended?

Yes, the finite range of a laser beam can be extended in a few ways. One method is to increase the power of the laser, which allows it to travel further before losing intensity. Another way is to use optics such as lenses or mirrors to focus the beam, which can increase its range by reducing beam spread.

4. What are some common applications for lasers with finite range?

Lasers with finite range have a wide range of applications, including communication, remote sensing, and scientific research. They are also used in various industrial processes, such as cutting, welding, and drilling.

5. How do scientists measure the finite range of a laser beam?

The finite range of a laser beam can be measured using various methods, including using a laser range finder or by measuring the beam's divergence. Scientists may also use mathematical calculations based on the laser's power and other characteristics to determine its maximum range.