Is the Relationship Between Energy and Distance Always Direct in Earth Science?

In summary: Potential energy only increases with distance if there is a force acting on it. Heat does not have this property.
Delcatoune
I know that energy increases with distance, but what is the relationship? What are different ways to measure something decreasing over distance or time.
I really don't have the time to help my younger sister do her homework so I need someone to help me explain to her the relationship concerning temperature as it relates to distance from the heat source in easy words ><

Physics news on Phys.org
It really depends on what you have. Potential energy increases with distance, but only for gravity. I don't think it is the same for heat. Energy would decrease.

Likes Delcatoune
lekh2003 said:
It really depends on what you have. Potential energy increases with distance, but only for gravity. I don't think it is the same for heat. Energy would decrease.
Yes that's what I was thinking as well, she hasn't given me any data to go on so I'm not really sure... Thank you!

Delcatoune said:
Yes that's what I was thinking as well, she hasn't given me any data to go on so I'm not really sure... Thank you!
What exactly is she doing? Is it a lab report, experiment, assignment, essay? Could you please give us more information?

lekh2003 said:
What exactly is she doing? Is it a lab report, experiment, assignment, essay? Could you please give us more information?
Well it is a sort of discussion/ experiment, she had to record data :
Phase:
Distance
(in.) :
Temperature
(°F) :

and then had to respond to this: Review the data you collected concerning temperature as it relates to distance from the heat source, and write a hypothesis that explains this relationship. Using the discussion board, share your data and your hypothesis with your classmates. (she's just given me this... The thing is I don't know how to explain it to her, everything I've tried to she just doesn't get it)

This is a typical investigation assignment. The idea is that she gives a hypothesis, she can be wrong and say that the phase is always the same for all I care, but let her have a guess. Let her put in her thoughts into the investigation.

Later, when she experiments, she will see whether her prediction was right or wrong. If at any time after that, she doesn't understand the results, then you may explain it to her.

Or does she already have data?

Likes Delcatoune
lekh2003 said:
This is a typical investigation assignment. The idea is that she gives a hypothesis, she can be wrong and say that the phase is always the same for all I care, but let her have a guess. Let her put in her thoughts into the investigation.

Later, when she experiments, she will see whether her prediction was right or wrong. If at any time after that, she doesn't understand the results, then you may explain it to her.

Or does she already have data?
I'm trying to convince her to write a hypothesis, she's scared to get it wrong although it's good if she does in order for her to explain why she got it wrong compared to the data she accumulated. Thank you very much for your help, as soon as she finishes gathering all the data she needs (which isn't much) I'll see if she understands or not. And again, thanks for replying to my post so fast :)

You should very much convince her to get it wrong. There is no problem. I too am still in school, I get hypotheses wrong all the time. That's not a problem. That's learning.

You're welcome for the help.

Likes Delcatoune
Delcatoune said:
I know that energy increases with distance

As a general statement that is very, very wrong.

Likes lekh2003

What is the solar system?

The solar system is a collection of planets, moons, asteroids, comets, and other objects that orbit around the Sun. It also includes the Sun itself, which is a star.

How many planets are in the solar system?

There are eight planets in the solar system: Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, and Neptune.

What is the largest planet in the solar system?

Jupiter is the largest planet in the solar system. It is more than twice as massive as all the other planets combined.

What is the purpose of studying the solar system?

Studying the solar system helps us understand the origins and evolution of our own planet, as well as the other planets in our solar system. It also allows us to better understand the Sun and how it affects Earth and other planets.

What are some current missions exploring the solar system?

Some current missions exploring the solar system include NASA's Juno mission to Jupiter, the Cassini mission to Saturn, and the New Horizons mission to Pluto and beyond. There are also ongoing missions to study the Sun, such as the Solar Dynamics Observatory and the Parker Solar Probe.