Is the rotation angle in Minkowski's diagram real or imaginary?

In summary, there are three ways to explain the rotation angle in Minkowski's diagram. Minkowski chose to use an imaginary rotation angle in order to express the laws of physics in four-dimensional terms. This choice may have been influenced by his preference for circular functions and his goal to highlight the connection between special Lorentz transformations and rotations in the (x3, x4)-plane. There is still debate over which version, between using a real or imaginary rotation angle, is the most accurate. However, it is clear that Minkowski's use of the imaginary angle was intentional and served a specific purpose in his representation of Lorentz transformations.
gene1721
In Figure_1(b) I have depicted a simplified version of Minkowski's diagram, where

[tex]\beta = \frac{v}{c}= \tanh \psi= - i \tan i \psi= \frac{( e^{\psi} - e^{-\psi})}{( e^{\psi} + e^{-\psi})} [/tex],

the rotation of [tex](x',t')[/tex]-axes being defined as imaginary (considering x and t real, and c=1).

However, I have found books where this rotation is considered as real, while the rotation in Figure_1(a) is shown as imaginary (considering x real, t imaginary, and c=1).

Could you explain which rotation is real and which imaginary?

Physics news on Phys.org
Figure_1 is here!

Attachments

• Figure_1.jpg
    Figure_1.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 858
Doing a Lorentz transformation (boost) by a velocity v to some 4-vector is equivalent to rotate it an imaginary angle [tex]\chi[/tex] such that:

[tex]\chi = arctan( v )[/tex]

http://casa.colorado.edu/~ajsh/sr/wheel.html

Thanks Kuon!

If I understand correctly, you come with a third possibility, right? :smile:

gene1721 said:
Could you explain which rotation is real and which imaginary?
That depends on how you define "rotation". I wouldn't call a Lorentz boost a "rotation". I don't mind calling it a "hyperbolic rotation" or a "Minkowski orthogonal transformation" but calling it a "rotation" is a bit weird in my opinion.

There's no need to bring imaginary numbers into this.

The angle of a rotation is always real and can be defined by writing the matrix as

[tex]\begin{pmatrix}\cos\theta & -\sin\theta\\ \sin\theta & \cos\theta\end{pmatrix}[/tex]

A 2×2 matrix represents a proper rotation if and only if it's orthogonal and has determinant 1. Alll 2×2 matrices with those properties can be put in the form above, with different values of [itex]\theta[/itex].

The rapidity of a Lorentz boost in 1+1 dimensions is always real and can be defined by writing the matrix as

[tex]\begin{pmatrix}\cosh\theta & -\sinh\theta\\ -\sinh\theta & \cosh\theta\end{pmatrix}[/tex]

A 2×2 matrix [itex]\Lambda[/itex] represents a proper orthochronous Lorentz boost if and only if it satisfies [itex]\Lambda^T\eta\Lambda=\eta[/itex], [itex]\det\Lambda=1[/itex], and [itex]\Lambda_{00}\geq 1[/itex]. (That's just its upper left component). All 2×2 matrices with those properties can be put in the form above, with different values of [itex]\theta[/itex]. This [itex]\theta[/itex] is usually referred to as the "rapidity" of the Lorentz transformation, not the "angle", but I wouldn't mind calling it the "hyperbolic angle" or even the "angle of a hyperbolic rotation". I just don't want to call it a "rotation angle", as you did in the thread title.

Note that you can't turn one of these matrices into the other just by substituting [itex]\theta\rightarrow i\theta[/itex]. That's why it doesn't quite make sense to describe a Lorentz transformation as a rotation by an imaginary angle.

Last edited:
Fredrik said:
That's why it doesn't quite make sense to describe a Lorentz transformation as a rotation by an imaginary angle.

Scott Walter (http://www.univ-nancy2.fr/DepPhilo/walter/), who published several papers on Minkowski and his diagram, wrote on page 9 of this article http://www.univ-nancy2.fr/DepPhilo/walter/papers/nes.pdf

... Minkowski retained the geometric interpretation of Lorentz transformation ... In doing so, he elaborated the notion of velocity as a rotation in four-dimensional space. He introduced a formula for the frame velocity [tex]q[/tex] in terms of the tangent of an imaginary angle [tex]i \psi[/tex], such that

[tex]q = - i \tan i \psi= \frac{( e^{\psi} - e^{-\psi})}{( e^{\psi} + e^{-\psi})} [/tex].

Minkowski could very well have expressed frame velocity in the equivalent form [tex]q = \tanh \psi [/tex], where the angle of rotation is real instead of imaginary, and all four space-time coordinates are real. He did not do so, but used the imaginary rotation angle [tex]i \psi [/tex] to express the special Lorentz transformation in the trigonometric form:

[tex] x_1'= x_1,~~x_2'= x_2,~~x_3'= x_3 \cos i \psi + x_4 \sin i \psi,~~x_4'= - x_3 \sin i \psi+ x_4 \cos i \psi[/tex].

The use of circular functions here underscores the fact that a special Lorentz transformation is equivalent to a rotation in the [tex]( x_3 x_4 )[/tex]--plane. Likewise, by expressing velocity in terms of an imaginary rotation, Minkowski may have...

Minkowski's preference for circular functions may be understood in relation to his project to express the laws of physics in four-dimensional terms. ... Expressing the Lorentz transformation as a hyperbolic rotation would have obscured the connection for physicists.

We can see now not only that it does make sense to describe a Lorentz transformation as a rotation by an imaginary angle, but to also inquire why would Minkowski really want to use the imaginary rotation. (I have to say that I buy only partially into Walter's explanation!)

Trying to understand why wanted Minkowski to use the imaginary angle, I found in different sources three ways (including Koun's version!) to explain the rotation angle in Minkowski's diagram:

1. x real, t real and the rotation angle real;
2. x real, t real and the rotation angle imaginary;
3. x real, t imaginary and the rotation angle imaginary.

So, given that Minkowski didn't want to use version 1, which between version 2 and version 3 is the correct one?

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Is the rotation angle in Minkowski's diagram real or imaginary?

1. What is Minkowski's diagram?

Minkowski's diagram, also known as a spacetime diagram, is a graphical representation of the relationship between space and time in special relativity. It was developed by physicist Hermann Minkowski in 1908.

2. How is the rotation angle in Minkowski's diagram defined?

The rotation angle in Minkowski's diagram is defined as the angle between the world line of an object and the horizontal time axis. It represents the change in time experienced by an object as it moves through space.

3. Is the rotation angle in Minkowski's diagram real or imaginary?

The rotation angle in Minkowski's diagram can be either real or imaginary, depending on the relative speed and direction of motion between the observer and the object being measured. In special relativity, the concept of time becomes relative, and the rotation angle may have an imaginary component to account for this.

4. How does the rotation angle affect the perception of time in special relativity?

The rotation angle in Minkowski's diagram is directly related to the concept of time dilation in special relativity. As an object moves closer to the speed of light, the rotation angle increases, indicating that time appears to pass slower for the object compared to a stationary observer.

5. Can the rotation angle be used to explain the twin paradox in special relativity?

Yes, the rotation angle in Minkowski's diagram can be used to explain the twin paradox, which is a thought experiment that explores the effects of time dilation. The twin paradox shows that the twin who travels at high speeds, and therefore has a larger rotation angle, will experience less time compared to the twin who stays on Earth and has a smaller rotation angle.