Is the Rotation Method Accurate for Drawing an Archimedean Spiral?

In summary, the conversation discusses a method for drawing an Archimedean spiral using a string and rod, and questions the accuracy and potential problems with this method. Alternative methods, such as using a gear and rack system, are also proposed and discussed. The conversation also touches on the potential applications for high precision Archimedean spirals and the technical details of the proposed methods.
person123
I have a concern about a method for drawing an Archimedean spiral.

If a spiral is drawn by rotating a string around a rod, it would only be an approximation of an Archimedean spiral. Starting from the edge of the circle, each time the string goes around once, the change in distance from the center would be ##\sqrt {r^2+(2πrx)^2}## (using the Pythagorean Theorem) and the change in the angle would ##2πx-\arctan(\frac{2πrx}{r})=2πx-\arctan(2πx)## (x being the number of rotations around the rod). When dividing the two and plotting the graph, it doesn't show a perfectly horizontal line, which would be expected if it were truly Archimedean: https://www.desmos.com/calculator/v5c9rsbhd3

Do you think this approximation could be a problem? How would the accuracy of this method compare to plotting points and then connecting them free-handed? Thanks in advance.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
person123 said:
Do you think this approximation could be a problem?
It depends on the application.
The error is worst closest to the rod. At the extreme, the tangent to the curve goes through the centre of the rod.
I can visualise a better mechanism. The axis of the rod could be mounted on an axle which is itself on an arm length r (radius of rod) from a fixed point. Some gearing mechanism would ensure the rod is irrotational as its axis rotates about the fixed point. The string would be always tangential to the rod at the fixed point.

person123 said:
Do you think this approximation could be a problem?
Is there any application for high precision Archimedean spirals drawn manually?
It is not a problem if you just want to make a nice pattern on paper. If you want to produce parts that have to fit together, you'll use machines anyway, they will just follow an x-y-path given by a computer, they don't have that problem.

mfb said:
Is there any application for high precision Archimedean spirals drawn manually?
Do you think drafting might require it (especially for architecture or something similar)? I also could see it being useful in school, maybe in a geometry class. I'm not entirely sure, though.

haruspex said:
I can visualise a better mechanism. The axis of the rod could be mounted on an axle which is itself on an arm length r (radius of rod) from a fixed point. Some gearing mechanism would ensure the rod is irrotational as its axis rotates about the fixed point. The string would be always tangential to the rod at the fixed point.
After starting this thread, I've thought of a way of drawing a true Archimedean spiral (I can't say I'm sure it will work, though).
Disc A is placed flat on the paper. Disc B is in contact with this one in this orientation. In this video, Disc A would be the wood disc and disc B would be one of the pink discs (ignore the differential):

Disc B is connected to a shaft and is allowed to slide across this shaft to change the gear ratio. This shaft is connected to a gear, and the gear is meshed with a rack. The edge of the rack would hold a pencil. Disc B, the shaft, the gear, and the rack, are allowed to rotate along the axis of rotation which goes through the center of Disc A. As it rotates, it causes Disc B to spin, causing the gear to spin, and causing the pencil to move outward or inward.
I'm not sure if I got the idea across clearly, but I think it's an interesting idea.

person123 said:
This shaft is connected to a gear, and the gear is meshed with a rack.
You could simplify that a bit by using a threaded shaft, like a worm gear, and a corresponding thread in the hole of disk B.

Likes person123
haruspex said:
You could simplify that a bit by using a threaded shaft, like a worm gear, and a corresponding thread in the hole of disk B.
And the threaded shaft would be unable to rotate and instead be forced to move straight through while disc B rotates?

I think that may cause the system to get stuck and/or disc B to slip, especially if the threads were densely packed. But I may just not be imagining it correctly.

person123 said:
the threaded shaft would be unable to rotate and instead be forced to move straight through while disc B rotates?
No, the shaft would be fixed to a vertical axis, unable to to rotate on its own axis and unable to migrate across the vertical axis. As it rotates about the vertical axis, the disk rolls on the ground, and so rotates on the shaft. That drives the disk towards/away from the vertical axis.

I should have clarified that when I wrote it "would be unable to rotate", I meant rotating around its own axis. I'm assuming that disc B and the shaft are both rotating together around the vertical axis (causing the pencil to rotate around this axis as well).

This is quickly drifting away from math, so if we want to keep this going, I guess it should be moved.

person123 said:
I should have clarified that when I wrote it "would be unable to rotate", I meant rotating around its own axis.
It was the shaft "moving straight through" that confused me. The disk moves along the shaft. Apart from rotating about the vertical axis the shaft does not go anywhere.

haruspex said:
Apart from rotating about the vertical axis the shaft does not go anywhere.
haruspex said:
That drives the disk towards/away from the vertical axis.

I'm imagining disc B rotating around the vertical axis at a fixed distance from the center while the shaft (which is connected to the pencil) moves inward or outward while rotating around the vertical axis. This keeps the gearing ratio the same while drawing your spiral.

It seems like you're imagining that disc B is the one moving inward or outward.

person123 said:
I'm imagining disc B rotating around the vertical axis at a fixed distance from the center while the shaft (which is connected to the pencil) moves inward or outward while rotating around the vertical axis. This keeps the gearing ratio the same while drawing your spiral.

It seems like you're imagining that disc B is the one moving inward or outward.
I was, with the pencil mounted adjacent to it. But it could work either way.

Wouldn't moving disc B toward or away from the center change the gear ratio, making the spacing of the spiral uneven? (You would also need to prevent the pencil from rotating around the axis of disc B). If that weren't the case, moving the disc instead might be easier than moving the entire shaft.

person123 said:
Wouldn't moving disc B toward or away from the center change the gear ratio
Ha! This approach cannot work. It will produce a geometric spiral.
As the shaft rotates dθ about the vertical axis the point of contact of the wheel with table moves rdθ (near enough). That will drive the wheel further away by αrdθ for some constant α. dr/dθ=αr.

The camera quality is terrible, but this a rough orthographic drawing from top, front, and side as I would imagine it to look like. It uses a rack and pinion, the pencil is shown, and disc B is replaced by a ball (which I think would be more effective).
WIN_20170812_19_19_33_Pro.jpg

1. What is an Archimedean Spiral?

An Archimedean Spiral is a mathematical curve that extends infinitely in both directions. It is created by drawing a line from a central point, while continuously rotating a fixed distance.

2. How is an Archimedean Spiral different from other types of spirals?

Unlike logarithmic spirals, which grow exponentially, the distance between the turns of an Archimedean Spiral remains constant. This makes it a more practical and easier to construct spiral.

3. What are the applications of an Archimedean Spiral?

Archimedean Spirals have many practical applications, such as in architecture, art, and engineering. They can be used for creating curved staircases, designing patterns, and even in the construction of wind turbines.

4. How do you draw an Archimedean Spiral?

To draw an Archimedean Spiral, you will need a pen, paper, and a compass. Start by drawing a point on the paper, which will serve as the center of the spiral. Then, using your compass, draw a small circle around the point. Next, move the compass to the edge of the circle and draw another circle with a slightly larger radius. Repeat this process, each time increasing the radius by the same amount. Connect the points where the circles intersect to create the spiral.

5. What is the mathematical equation for an Archimedean Spiral?

The mathematical equation for an Archimedean Spiral is r = a + bθ, where r is the distance from the center, θ is the angle of rotation, and a and b are constants that determine the size and shape of the spiral. This equation can be modified to create different variations of the spiral.