Is the Rutherford model invalid due to a violation of Gauss's Law?

In summary, the conversation discusses the invalidity of Rutherford's original model of the atom, which is based on a clearly invalid assumption that violates Gauss's Law. This assumption was not caught in the peer review process and undermines the validity of the mathematical calculations in the paper. Quantum mechanics replaces classical mechanics and has been shown to make more accurate predictions about the behavior of atoms. Some posts in the conversation request a professional scientific reference for the claim that Rutherford's model violates Gauss's Law. The conversation ultimately ends with a reminder to adhere to the rules and use professional scientific references when making claims.
jmfrank63
TL;DR Summary
The original publication was clearly invalid, not just inaccurate. Why is this of no concern?
Our current model of the atom is still based on the original publication of Rutherford. However, this publication is clearly invalid. I am not talking about inaccurate. I am using the word invalid, and that is for a reason. People have often criticized historic publications, one example is Euclid's equilateral triangle. Yet, Euclid's proof might be inaccurate, but it is certainly not invalid. But Rutherford's paper is not simply inaccurate, it is actually invalid.

Here is why:
In his original publication, you can read early this sentence:

Consider an atom which contains a charge ±Ne at its centre surrounded by a sphere of electrification containing a charge ±Ne [N.B. in the original publication, the second plus/minus sign is inverted to be a minus/plus sign] supposed uniformly distributed throughout a sphere of radius R.

If you want to verify the quote, here is a replica of the original article, page 671 first paragraph:

This is a clearly invalid assumption, such an object can never exist, for it is clearly violating Gauss's Law. Here I am talking to physicists, so I do not give a detailed explanation on how the law works, I just will point out the uniform sphere surrounding the centre will prevent any field lines to leave to the outside. I am curious if, in a physics forum, this needs further explanation or this will already make clear that the assumption is invalid. I am happy to give an in-depth explanation if asked for.

Now, given the invalid assumption, you can show about anything. While the mathematics in the paper is impressive, it does not help, based on a wrong assumption it is worthless. I also think, the peer review should have caught this.

Why is this not of any concern, and why is this not discussed? How does quantum mechanics fix this? I've never heard of quantum mechanics replacing classical mechanics, only of extending it. So if it extends, how does it make an invalid object valid?

• Sad
Likes PeroK
Physics news on Phys.org
jmfrank63 said:
for it is clearly violating Gauss's Law... the uniform sphere surrounding the centre will prevent any field lines to leave to the outside.
How is it violating Gauss's Law? No force lines leaving to the outside is just another a way of stating that the atom as a whole is electrically neutral. Negative charge at a greater distance from the nucleus than the penetrating particle has, by the shell theorem, no effect on the particle, so effects from the electric field of the nucleus are expected within the shell.

Likes Vanadium 50 and Dale
jmfrank63 said:
Our current model of the atom is still based on the original publication of Rutherford.
No, it isn't. It's based on modern quantum mechanics, which is nothing like Rutherford's original model.

jmfrank63 said:
I've never heard of quantum mechanics replacing classical mechanics, only of extending it.
Then you evidently have not looked very hard. Classical mechanics makes obviously wrong predictions, one of which is that atoms cannot exist--electrons would emit EM radiation and spiral into the nucleus. Quantum mechanics does not extend classical mechanics in this, as in other cases--it replaces it with a new, different, incompatible theory that makes new, different, incompatible predictions. And the QM predictions are the correct ones, as extensive experiments have shown over the past century or so.

Likes PeroK and Dale
jmfrank63 said:
it is clearly violating Gauss's Law
Do you have a professional scientific reference that says the Rutherford model violates Gauss’ law? We don’t do personal speculation here.

There are many subsequent papers that corrected Rutherford model and fixed the theoretical and experimental problems with it. To the best of my knowledge, none of them make the objection you make.

Likes PeterDonis
@jmfrank63 before you post again, please post the professional scientific paper that supports your specific complaint. I can restore your recent post once it is clear that it is based on the professional scientific literature and not just personal speculation

Dale said:
@jmfrank63 before you post again, please post the professional scientific paper that supports your specific complaint. I can restore your recent post once it is clear that it is based on the professional scientific literature and not just personal speculation
I need to find a scientific paper to ask a question? I don't understand. Did I make a mistake in the simulation?

• Skeptical
Likes berkeman
jmfrank63 said:
I need to find a scientific paper to ask a question? I don't understand. Did I make a mistake in the simulation?
You are not asking a question. You are making a specific claim that the Rutherford model violates Gauss law.

This thread is closed. If you wish to open a new thread please read the rules and ensure that either you have a professional scientific reference to support any claims you make or that you actually ask questions without making unfounded claims.

1. Is the Rutherford model still considered valid in modern science?

No, the Rutherford model is no longer considered valid in modern science. It was developed in the early 1900s and has since been replaced by more accurate models.

2. What is the Rutherford model and how does it violate Gauss's Law?

The Rutherford model is a model of the atom proposed by Ernest Rutherford in 1911. It depicts the atom as a small, positively charged nucleus surrounded by negatively charged electrons. This model violates Gauss's Law, which states that the electric flux through a closed surface is equal to the enclosed charge divided by the permittivity of free space.

3. Why is Gauss's Law important in understanding the structure of the atom?

Gauss's Law is important in understanding the structure of the atom because it helps us to understand the distribution of electric charge within the atom. This, in turn, helps us to better understand the behavior and interactions of particles within the atom.

4. How was the Rutherford model disproved?

The Rutherford model was disproved through various experiments, including the famous gold foil experiment, which showed that most of the alpha particles passed straight through the gold foil, rather than being deflected as predicted by the Rutherford model. This led to the development of the more accurate Bohr model of the atom.

5. What are the implications of the Rutherford model being invalid?

The invalidity of the Rutherford model has significant implications for our understanding of the atom and its structure. It has led to the development of more accurate models, such as the Bohr model and the quantum mechanical model, which have greatly advanced our understanding of the atom and its behavior.