Is the security of PF at stake?

• Thread starter Wrichik Basu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    security
In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of spam being posted on the Science and Maths Textbooks forum. The user mentions receiving email notifications for spam threads and reporting them, and expresses concern about potential attacks on PF to steal information or shut down the site. The mentors assure the user that spam threads are not frequent and are mostly caught by filters, and that there is no threat to the security of PF. They also mention the importance of not clicking on suspicious links and reporting spam threads. The conversation ends with a side discussion about a blinking icon.
Wrichik Basu
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
I am a daily visitor to the Science and Maths Textbooks forum. I have enabled the option to watch the forum, so that everyone time a new thread is posted, I'm notified by email.

Recently, however, I got email notification for three threads that were spam. Two of them were already removed when I visited them to report spam, while one of them was still there and I reported it. The mentors will know what I'm talking of because they have themselves deleted those threads.

I haven't been a member of PF for long, so I don't know whether these spam threads are frequent. I felt that some group of people may be attacking PF to steal information or to hack into the servers to shut down the site altogether.

PF has been very helpful in my study of Physics and in my struggle for acquiring knowledge. I would consider closing of PF as a disaster. I just wanted to ask whether PF is secure and robust to these attacks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Wrichik Basu said:
are frequent.
Very.

Most spam that gets posted is attempting to sell something (mostly "supplements" :wink:). We get very few phising expeditions.

Also, most spam gets caught in our automatic spam filter, so it is only a few that can get send out through e-mail alerts. We do our best to remove all spam, and do not hesitate to report it when something evades the filter and our vigilance.

DrClaude said:
Most spam that gets posted is attempting to sell something (mostly "supplements" :wink:). We get very few phising expeditions.

Also, most spam gets caught in our automatic spam filter, so it is only a few that can get send out through e-mail alerts. We do our best to remove all spam, and do not hesitate to report it when something evades the filter and our vigilance.
Which means that there is no stake to the security of PF, right?

Wrichik Basu said:
I haven't been a member of PF for long, so I don't know whether these spam threads are frequent. I felt that some group of people may be attacking PF to steal information or to hack into the servers to shut down the site altogether.

Such threads are frequent on every forum. I doubt anyone specifically tries to attack PF to take the site down, most of these spam threads are posted by bots on every possible forum. That being said, be sure @Greg Bernhardt keeps his finger on the pulse while administering the forum, and that every forum Mentor is vigilant.

Likes Wrichik Basu
Wrichik Basu said:
Which means that there is no stake to the security of PF, right?
Right. And no threat to you if you don't click the links.

Likes ISamson and Wrichik Basu
Borek said:
That being said, be sure @Greg Bernhardt keeps his finger on the pulse while administering the forum, and that every forum Mentor is vigilant.
Yes, we, the members, always have faith on the Mentors and the Administrator @Greg Bernhardt. I just wanted to make sure this isn't some type of an attack, keeping in mind the increasing cases of cyber crime and ransomware attacks.

Is the security of PF at stake?
No.

These are humans or bots (typically bots) that register new accounts and make posts. The same actions every regular user here can do, and of course we want users to be able to create accounts and contribute to the forum. This has nothing to do with hacking or security of the forum.
Popular webpages are always the target of these spambots that try to get as many viewers of their spam links as they can. Most of them are caught before they can make a visible post, but a small fraction gets visible until a moderator deletes it and bans the spammer.

Just don't click on the links, and report the thread if it is not deleted yet.

Likes dextercioby
Wrichik Basu said:
I haven't been a member of PF for long, so I don't know whether these spam threads are frequent.

Spam is a problem, especially if it's patient humans doing the work. However we do an amazing job recognizing it and cleaning it up.

Wrichik Basu said:
I felt that some group of people may be attacking PF to steal information or to hack into the servers to shut down the site altogether.

Spam attacks aren't designed to and theoretically can't harm the server. They are solely intended to trick and exploit forum users into clicking a link or buying a product for the originators sole personal gain. If you see a thread that looks suspicious please report it.

Likes cnh1995, ISamson, dlgoff and 1 other person
This might not be entirely on topic here, but...
This is a screen snip of some bookmarks I always have showing... and Greg's picture, also... :cool: . :cool: *

I've noticed that the little icon where the red arrow points, seems to "blink" off and on at times. Anybody else notice that ?

PF Bookmark 1.jpg

* Two cool ... :biggrin:

Attachments

• PF Bookmark 1.jpg
    PF Bookmark 1.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 274

1. What is PF and why is its security important?

PF (Personal Firewall) is a software program that acts as a barrier between a computer and the outside world, monitoring and controlling incoming and outgoing network traffic. Its security is important because it protects the computer from unauthorized access and potential cyber threats.

2. How can the security of PF be compromised?

The security of PF can be compromised in several ways, including outdated software, weak passwords, and social engineering attacks. Additionally, if the user disables or misconfigures the PF, it can leave the computer vulnerable to external threats.

3. Are there any specific measures that can be taken to improve the security of PF?

Yes, there are several measures that can be taken to improve the security of PF. These include keeping the software up-to-date, using strong and unique passwords, avoiding suspicious emails or links, and regularly checking and adjusting the PF settings.

4. Can a personal firewall protect against all types of cyber attacks?

No, a personal firewall cannot protect against all types of cyber attacks. While it can prevent unauthorized access to the computer, it may not be able to detect and block sophisticated attacks such as zero-day exploits or social engineering attacks.

5. What should be done if a security breach is suspected in the PF?

If a security breach is suspected in the PF, the first step is to disconnect the computer from the internet. Then, the user should run a full virus scan to check for any malware or malicious programs. If necessary, the PF should be reconfigured or reinstalled to ensure its security.