Is the Speed of Light Limited by the Properties of Matter?

In summary: However, I think it would be more accurate to say that matter cannot exist in "empty space" as we currently understand it.
Jeffrey phalen
Is it possible that the speed of light exists because we cannot move faster than our particles? I.e. the speed of electrons that create the electromagnetic force that hold matter together.

Science news on Phys.org
Jeffrey phalen said:
Is it possible that the speed of light exists because we cannot move faster than our particles? I.e. the speed of electrons that create the electromagnetic force that hold matter together.

The speed of electrons is not the same as the speed of light. So I don't see how this idea would make sense.

So then it would have to be the speed of the particles our particles are made of?

Jeffrey phalen said:
So then it would have to be the speed of the particles our particles are made of?
No. The speed of light is the invariant speed for our space-time. It has nothing to do with particles being made of particles being made of... turtles all the way down.

Likes Jeffrey phalen
The question in the thread title is "Reason for the speed of light".

Light is electromagnetic waves, so the speed of light is the speed at which electromagnetic waves propagate. If you start with Maxwell's laws of electricity and magnetism, you can calculate that speed (Maxwell did that himself, more than 150 years ago).

Likes Jeffrey phalen, itfitmewelltoo and PeroK
Jeffrey phalen said:

We already know that the speed of light is not the same as the speed of the particles we are made of.

Jeffrey phalen said:
The speed of light is fixed as a result of the properties of free space. While free space is not a medium in terms of "eather", as was once considered, it is still something in and of itself. It has properties beyond simply the three dimensions of distance. Two of these, in the classical sense, are the fundamental constants of electromagnetic propogation. These are what fix the speed of light.

Likes Jeffrey phalen
itfitmewelltoo said:
The speed of light is fixed as a result of the properties of free space... Two of these, in the classical sense, are the fundamental constants of electromagnetic propogation.
The speed of light depends on the resistance of space to electric flux. This electric constant is only about 8.85 x 10-12 farads per metre.

Likes Jeffrey phalen
David Lewis said:
The speed of light depends on the resistance of space to electric flux.

It depends on ##\mu_0## as well as ##\epsilon_0##. I believe those are the two constants that @itfitmewelltoo was referring to. (And this assumes that you are choosing that particular system of units--in other unit systems those constants don't even exist.)

Empty space is not a type of medium, yet in many ways it is easier to think in terms of Einsteins India rubber sheet. If you drop an object onto a rubber sheet a "shockwave" spreads out through the rubber at the speed of sound. If you drop an object into empty space the gravity, charge and any other properties that say there has been a change here, all spread out at the speed of the "shockwave" through empty space. We just use the phrase "speed of light", we could use other phrases to describe the speed of this "here is a change shockwave".

There is an interesting addendum to this "nothing travels faster than the speed of light" phrase. According to Encyclopedia Britannica (in refractive index} Xrays traveling through glass are bent towards the normal, suggesting they travel faster than the speed of light through "empty space".

Neil Condon said:
If you drop an object into empty space ...
Since this is clearly an impossible thing to do, best to stick with known causes of gravity waves such as merging black holes.

Yes clearly it is impossible to just drop an object into empty space, I was speaking metaphorically as an analogy to dropping an object on a rubber sheet. Most people want a simple way of understanding things.

Neil Condon said:
Yes clearly it is impossible to just drop an object into empty space, I was speaking metaphorically as an analogy to dropping an object on a rubber sheet. Most people want a simple way of understanding things.
The difficulty is that stacking a counter-physical analogy on top of a questionable analogy may not lead to actual understanding.

I'm not sure that your argument is valid. It widely understood that matter-antimatter pairs come into existence and annihilate again shortly after. The question of why is there normal matter in the universe and not an even amount of each, or just the light from a totally annihilated universe. So it is obvious than in some circumstances matter can suddenly appear in empty space. It is also widely understood that the gravitation field of newly created matter can only spread out at the speed of light.

I stand by what I said people want simple answers so that they build more complex answers on as their understanding increases. Someone asking for the reason why light is the speed limit in this neighborhood is not asking for an equation.

It is the anomalies to our simple ideas that really teach us something. For example: all agree that a change in a gravitational field spreads out at the speed of light, but the Earth orbits the Sun where the Sun is now not the position of the Sun eight minutes ago where the Sun appears to be if we look. This suggests that once curvature has established itself it behaves in an "instantaneous" manner, and it is only the change in a local field that is limited to light speed.

Neil Condon said:
It widely understood that matter-antimatter pairs come into existence and annihilate again shortly after.

No, it is widely misunderstood that this happens.

Neil Condon said:
So it is obvious than in some circumstances matter can suddenly appear in empty space

No, it is not obvious, it is false. The stress-energy tensor in GR is conserved; that means matter cannot "suddenly appear in empty space".

Neil Condon said:
I stand by what I said people want simple answers so that they build more complex answers on as their understanding increases.

This only helps if the simple answers are correct. Yours are not. Moreover, what you are saying has nothing to do with why the speed of light is what it is, or why there is a finite speed of light at all.

Please do not post this misinformation again; if you do, you will receive a warning.

Are you denying that matter came into existence shortly after inflation?

Neil Condon said:
Are you denying that matter came into existence shortly after inflation?
It's hard to deny or not deny that statement because it can be interpreted in several different ways, some incorrect, some correct, and some too vague to call either way.

The claim about particle/antiparticle pairs appearing is OK as long as you're talking about pair production, which is not an "empty space" phenomenon. It is, as PeterDonis says, a common misunderstanding if you're imagining something involving quantum fluctuations in otherwise empty space.

This is all a digression from the original thread topic, so it would be best to start a new thread to continue this discussion. But before you do... please review our Insights articles on virtual particles.

1. What is the reason for the speed of light being constant?

The speed of light is a fundamental constant in the universe and is defined as 299,792,458 meters per second. It is constant because it is a property of space and time, and it does not change regardless of the observer's frame of reference.

2. How did scientists determine the speed of light?

The speed of light was first determined by Danish astronomer Ole Rømer in the 17th century by observing the moons of Jupiter. Later, scientists like Albert Michelson and Edward Morley used interferometry to measure the speed of light more accurately.

3. Why is the speed of light considered the universal speed limit?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, the speed of light is the maximum speed at which all matter and information can travel in the universe. This is because as an object approaches the speed of light, its mass increases infinitely, making it impossible to accelerate further.

4. Does the speed of light ever change?

No, the speed of light is a constant. However, it can appear to change when it travels through different mediums, such as air, water, or glass. This is because light can be absorbed and re-emitted by these substances, causing it to travel slower than its maximum speed in a vacuum.

5. Can anything travel faster than the speed of light?

According to our current understanding of physics, nothing can travel faster than the speed of light. This is because it would require infinite energy to accelerate an object to the speed of light, and as mentioned before, its mass would become infinite. Therefore, it is considered impossible for anything to travel faster than the speed of light.