Is the Work Done in Charging an Inductor Different in Non-Quasistatic Scenarios?

In summary: In your case, the current is not changing, so there is no EM radiation.In order to obtain EM radiation, we require an alternating current. You are using a DC supply so there is no alternating current.If the inductor is connected to AC, then there will be some radiated energy, depending on the dimensions and the size of the current. In your case, the current is not changing, so there is no EM radiation.In summary, the work done by an outside agency in creating a current in an inductor is given by the equation 1/2LI2, which is derived from the quasistatic approximation. In non-quasistatic scenarios, the work done may be different due to radiation.
mayank pathak
As we know, work done by an outside agency in creating some current ''I" in an inductor 'L' is 1/2LI2. Now this result is derived by quasistatic approximation if I am not wrong. Now, I am assuming that in non quasistatic (real) scenarios, the work done by outside agency would be different(If you actually calculate by using Poynting Vector, there would be some radiation flying off ...). Am I right till here ?

My question is :Let W be the work done in charging inductor to current I in time T (at a rate of I/T amperes per second) without making qusi static approximations. Is W > 1/2LI2 ? Also, if T approaches infinity (i.e. the rate of increasing current is too darned slow), will W approach 1/2LI2 ?

<< Post edited by Mentor for language >>

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
To help answer your question ## L=\frac{\Phi}{I} ## , and for a long cylinder ## B=n \mu_o I ##. The result is with ## E=(1/2)LI^2 ## and with ## \Phi=nL( BA) ## that ## E=(1/2) \frac{B^2}{\mu_o} V ##. This assumes nothing gets radiated away=otherwise, yes, there is power that is lost and not described by these basic equations. It is still correct that ## E=(1/2) LI^2 ##. That part of the energy is recoverable.

Charles Link said:
To help answer your question ## L=\frac{\Phi}{I} ## , and for a long cylinder ## B=n \mu_o I ##. The result is with ## E=(1/2)LI^2 ## and with ## \Phi=nL( BA) ## that ## E=(1/2) \frac{B^2}{\mu_o} V ##. This assumes nothing gets radiated away=otherwise, yes, there is power that is lost and not described by these basic equations. It is still correct that ## E=(1/2) LI^2 ##. That part of the energy is recoverable.

Yes. Thanks. I think I get it now.

Also, is my assumption about super-slow process true(will W= 1/2LI^2 in that limiting case where T approaches infinity)

mayank pathak said:
Also, is my assumption about super-slow process true(will W= 1/2LI^2 in that limiting case where T approaches infinity)
Yes

Likes Charles Link
Khashishi said:
Yes
One more question : then how can an lossless LC circuit exist ? It should lose energy by means of radiation since current in the circuit is definitely greater than zero(hence quasistatic approximation certainly doesnot hold)

mayank pathak said:
One more question : then how can an lossless LC circuit exist ? It should lose energy by means of radiation since current in the circuit is definitely greater than zero(hence quasistatic approximation certainly doesnot hold)
I don't know that anyone ever said that an LC circuit is completely lossless. Normally, LC circuits come with a quality factor ## Q ##, and the higher the ## Q ##, the smaller the losses. The losses can be both resistive and radiative, and it can be somewhat difficult to determine how much is resistive and how much is radiative.

Likes mayank pathak
Charles Link said:
I don't know that anyone ever said that an LC circuit is completely lossless. Normally, LC circuits come with a quality factor ## Q ##, and the higher the ## Q ##, the smaller the losses. The losses can be both resistive and radiative, and it can be somewhat difficult to determine how much is resistive and how much is radiative.

Thanks. "Lossless" word stuck with me and I guess I never cared so deeply about these questions until now. Maxwell equations has certainly enlightened me. I almost see the whole picture now. Thanks again :)

Likes Charles Link
mayank pathak said:
Thanks. "Lossless" word stuck with me and I guess I never cared so deeply about these questions until now. Maxwell equations has certainly enlightened me. I almost see the whole picture now. Thanks again :)
It sounds as if you are charging the inductor from a DC source such as a battery.
Any EM wave radiated would then have to be unidirectional. The usual view is that this is not possible.
So it looks as if the radiated energy may be zero for this case.

tech99 said:
It sounds as if you are charging the inductor from a DC source such as a battery.
Any EM wave radiated would then have to be unidirectional. The usual view is that this is not possible.
So it looks as if the radiated energy may be zero for this case.

I didn't understand. Can you elaborate more ?

mayank pathak said:
I didn't understand. Can you elaborate more ?
In order to obtain EM radiation, we require an alternating current. You are using a DC supply so there is no alternating current.
If the inductor is connected to AC, then there will be some radiated energy, depending on the dimensions and the size of the current.

1. What is magnetic energy?

Magnetic energy is a form of potential energy that is stored in a magnetic field. It is the energy that is required to create or maintain a magnetic field.

2. What is the formula for calculating magnetic energy?

The formula for calculating magnetic energy is 1/2 x L x I^2, where L is the inductance of the coil and I is the current flowing through it.

3. What is inductance?

Inductance is the property of an electrical circuit that opposes changes in the current by creating a counter electromotive force.

4. How is magnetic energy used in everyday life?

Magnetic energy is used in many everyday devices, such as electric motors, generators, and transformers. It is also used in MRI machines for medical imaging and in magnetic levitation trains.

5. Can magnetic energy be converted into other forms of energy?

Yes, magnetic energy can be converted into other forms of energy, such as electrical energy. This is how electric generators work, by converting the kinetic energy of a rotating turbine into electrical energy through the use of magnetic fields.