Is there a forum for weekly engineering math challenges?

In summary, this conversation discusses a forum where people can come together and solve math puzzles. Each week, a new challenge is posted and a point system is used to incentivize participation. The challenges are meant to be solved with new and creative methods, and there is a moderator who decides if a solution counts as new or not. The points cannot be traded for prizes, but users can suggest interesting math problems to the moderator. Previous threads from a retired mentor were moved to a different forum, and there is a discussion about including high school level topics in the challenges. One user suggests having engineering topics as well.
Office_Shredder
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
What is this place?
This forum is for people to come together and stretch their brains on math puzzles. Each week there will be a new challenge for the forum to try.

What do I get for answering challenges?
We're going to try a point system. The first person to post a solution will be awarded 2 points, and every solution posted after that which is legitimately different from any already posted solutions will be worth one point. I want to see as many different solutions as you guys can think up on each problem, and if you see a problem has already been solved just think of that as an extra challenge to solve it better. Simplify an existing solution, attack it from a different angle, everything's fair game as long as you're doing some new math (maximum one score per person but feel free to post extra solutions). I am the final arbiter on whether a solution counts as new or not in the event of a dispute.

Can I trade in my points for cool Physics Forums prizes?
No, you can't.

[Admin Edit] not yet at least :)

I have a cool question I think you should ask.
Hey, this is frequently asked questions, not frequently stated sentences. If you have a particularly interesting math problem, feel free to PM me! If I think it's appropriate (not too technical, not too obvious, etc.) I'll include it as a challenge and you'll get a point for it.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
what happened to the previous threads? I remember there were a few questions posted already

When micromass retired as a mentor, they got moved into the general math forum with the closure of his sub-forum (you can find them by searching the general math forum for threads by micromass). Would people prefer to have them collected here in some fashion? (either a post with links to all of the threads, or moving them into this forum).

Is it possible for the challenges to include topics which are taught at High school level? I am sure that challenging questions can be made on those topics. I don't know how to express myself. Maybe Olympiad-type problems?

Most of the challenges will have solutions which require only high school level math or calculus to solve - even if it's not immediately clear that an such an elementary solution exists.

Great activity/Board, this is great guys, keep it up!

is there something like that includes engineering topics as well (preferably in aero/fluids but anything engineering will do)? Or know of a place that does this?

1. What is the purpose of the Weekly Math Challenge?

The purpose of the Weekly Math Challenge is to provide a fun and engaging way for individuals to improve their math skills and problem-solving abilities.

2. Who can participate in the Weekly Math Challenge?

Anyone can participate in the Weekly Math Challenge, regardless of age or educational background. The challenges are designed to be accessible to all levels of math proficiency.

3. How often are the challenges released?

The Weekly Math Challenge is released every week, hence the name. A new challenge will be posted every Monday.

4. Are there any prizes for completing the challenges?

While there are no physical prizes for completing the challenges, the real reward is the improvement of your math skills and the satisfaction of solving challenging problems.

5. Can I submit my solutions for review or assistance?

Yes, you can submit your solutions for review or assistance through the provided contact form. However, please note that the purpose of the Weekly Math Challenge is to challenge individuals to solve problems on their own without outside help.