Is there a good tool to get titles of lists of references?

• Other
  • Thread starter The Bill
  • Start date
  • Tags
    References
In summary, the speaker is frustrated by the lack of titles in reference lists of papers, making it difficult to compare and find relevant articles. They are wondering if there is a tool that can automatically search and return reference lists with titles included. However, this may require a paid service or a Google developer API key due to changes in internet security. The speaker finds it surprising that omitting titles in references is now acceptable.
The Bill
I've noticed that a lot of papers these days don't include titles in their references. This grates on me, since it makes an article hard to use to survey what references are often used in a particular area. Often, what I want to do is retrieve a dozen articles in a field and compare their reference lists for references that cover a particular overlapping topic that each of those papers touch on. Not having titles keeps me from knowing which papers are actually relevant to me until I search for each one individually.

So, if I'm presented with one or more reference lists with dozens of entries of the form:
[##] M. Foo and H.B. Bar, Phys. Rev. E ##(#), #### (####).

Is there a tool that I can just paste a whole list of references into which will automatically do all the searches and return a proper reference list with the titles of all the articles, textbooks, etc. that should have been there in the first place? Keeping the same numbers as the original list, of course.

Likes Demystifier
Physics news on Phys.org
You are basically asking for the ability to run automated queries on a database of every single journal article (at least in the specific subject area), and I suspect that's a service you will have to pay for, if it exists.

You can, of course, do it one reference at a time via Google Scholar, but automating the process probably requires a Google developer API key.

Likes FactChecker
It's shocking to me that it is acceptable now to omit the title in a reference.
I used to be able to automate internet searches, but my last (casual) attempt failed. I think the changes for security (HTTPS?) have made my old techniques out of date.

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71, The Bill and pasmith

1. What is the best tool to use for getting titles of lists of references?

The best tool to use for getting titles of lists of references is a reference management software, such as EndNote, Mendeley, or Zotero. These tools allow you to easily import and organize references from various sources, and provide features for automatically generating reference lists with titles.

2. Are there any free tools available for getting titles of lists of references?

Yes, there are several free reference management tools available, such as Zotero and BibMe. These tools offer similar features to paid software, but may have limitations in terms of storage space or advanced features.

3. Can I use Google Scholar to get titles of lists of references?

Yes, Google Scholar can be used to get titles of lists of references. Simply search for the article or book you are referencing, and click on the "Cite" button below the search result. This will provide a list of citation styles and options, including the option to copy the reference list with titles.

4. How accurate are the titles provided by reference management tools?

The accuracy of titles provided by reference management tools depends on the accuracy of the information you input. If you have entered the author, title, and publication information correctly, the tool should provide an accurate title. However, it is always a good idea to double-check the titles and other information before using them in your references.

5. Can I customize the format and style of the titles in my reference list?

Yes, most reference management tools allow you to customize the format and style of your reference list, including the titles. You can usually choose from a variety of citation styles, or create your own custom style. Just make sure to follow the formatting guidelines required by your institution or publisher.