Is there a Leibnitz theorem for sums with variable limits?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Leibnitz theorem for differentiating integrals with variable limits and integrands. The question then arises about differentiating a function defined as a summation with variable limits. The speaker suggests trying to calculate the derivative from first principles and determining the conditions for its existence.
bobby2k
Is there a "Leibnitz theorem" for sums with variable limits?

Wikipedia says that if we want to differentiate integrals where the variable is in the limit and in the integrand, we can use Leibnitz theorem:

d631f2432bde50aba7dc5768666ed744.png

But what if I need to integrate a function defined like this:[itex]\Sigma_{I(x)}[f(x,t)][/itex], Here I(x) just means that the values depend on x. Or even what if I simpler:

[itex]\Sigma^{b(x)}_{a(x)}[f(x,t)][/itex], where we just have that the start and end of the summation depend on x. Are there some conditions where if we want to calculate:

[itex]\frac{d}{dx}[\Sigma_{I(x)}[f(x,t)]][/itex], we can move move the derivative inside, and get some more terms. Or do we have to calculate the sum before differentiating?

Physics news on Phys.org
bobby2k said:
Wikipedia says that if we want to differentiate integrals where the variable is in the limit and in the integrand, we can use Leibnitz theorem:

d631f2432bde50aba7dc5768666ed744.png

But what if I need to integrate a function defined like this:

[itex]\Sigma_{I(x)}[f(x,t)][/itex], Here I(x) just means that the values depend on x. Or even what if I simpler:

[itex]\Sigma^{b(x)}_{a(x)}[f(x,t)][/itex], where we just have that the start and end of the summation depend on x. Are there some conditions where if we want to calculate:

[itex]\frac{d}{dx}[\Sigma_{I(x)}[f(x,t)]][/itex], we can move move the derivative inside, and get some more terms. Or do we have to calculate the sum before differentiating?

I would suggest that you try to calculate
[tex]
\frac{d}{dx} \left( \sum_{t \in I(x)} f(x,t) \right)
[/tex]
from first principles and see what conditions must be satisfied by [itex]f : \mathbb{R} \times X \to \mathbb{R}[/itex] and [itex]I : \mathbb{R} \to 2^{X}[/itex] for that derivative to exist.

1. What is Leibnitz theorem for sums with variable limits?

Leibnitz theorem for sums with variable limits is a mathematical theorem that states that the derivative of a sum of two functions is equal to the sum of the derivatives of the individual functions. This is also known as the product rule for derivatives.

2. How is Leibnitz theorem for sums with variable limits used in calculus?

Leibnitz theorem is used to find the derivative of a sum of two or more functions, where the limits of the summation are variables. It is a fundamental tool in calculus and is often used to solve problems involving rates of change and optimization.

3. Can Leibnitz theorem be extended to more than two functions?

Yes, Leibnitz theorem can be extended to more than two functions. In general, it states that the derivative of a sum of n functions is equal to the sum of the derivatives of the individual functions.

4. Is Leibnitz theorem applicable to all types of functions?

No, Leibnitz theorem is not applicable to all types of functions. It is applicable to differentiable functions, which means that the function must have a well-defined derivative at every point in its domain.

5. Can Leibnitz theorem be used to find the derivative of integrals?

Yes, Leibnitz theorem can be used to find the derivative of integrals. This is known as the fundamental theorem of calculus and is a direct consequence of the product rule for derivatives.