Is there a name for these graphs?

• Thread starter Omegatron
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graphs
In summary, the conversation discusses the usefulness of 3D graphs in understanding Fourier transforms and complex signals. The speaker asks if there is a specific name for these graphs and mentions examples such as Bode plots and wavelts. The conversation also mentions that the spectrogram shown is also known as a waterfall plot.
Omegatron
This is sort of a math question, sort of a signal processing engineering question.

I've found 3D graphs of real vs imaginary vs time/frequency to be very helpful in my understanding of Fourier transforms, complex signals, and the like. Is there a convenient/clever name for these graphs? I don't see them used very often, which I think is a bad thing.

Examples: http://www.complextoreal.com/tfft2_files/image016.gif"

For instance, http://www.vnij.com/company/press/image_library/full_res/spectrogram.gif" isn't called "graph of frequency and phase vs amplitude on logarithmic axes"; it's called a "Bode plot".

Just wondering.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
I have not seen names for the first few plots you show. However, wavelts are quite common in vibrational analysis and that is what I have seen the majority of them referred to as.

The spectrogram you posted is also known as a waterfall plot. Although, I haven't seen one quite in that format. It is the same information, a spectrum in the frequency domain plotted against a time axis.

FredGarvin said:
The spectrogram you posted is also known as a waterfall plot. Although, I haven't seen one quite in that format. It is the same information, a spectrum in the frequency domain plotted against a time axis.

Yeah. I think a waterfall plot is just a specific type of spectrogram plot.

Related to Is there a name for these graphs?

1. What are these graphs called?

These graphs are commonly known as line graphs, as they use lines to plot data points and show trends over time.

2. Is there a specific term for these types of graphs?

In addition to line graphs, these graphs may also be referred to as time series graphs or trend graphs, depending on the context in which they are used.

3. Do these graphs have any other names?

Some other names for these graphs include line plots, curve charts, and time plots.

4. Are these graphs only used for showing trends over time?

While these graphs are commonly used to display trends over time, they can also be used to compare multiple data sets or illustrate relationships between variables.

5. Are there any variations of these graphs?

Yes, there are several variations of these graphs, such as scatter plots, area graphs, and bar graphs, that use different types of visual representations to show the same type of data.