Is there a relation between log and arcs for complex numbers?

In summary, the author is looking for an equation that combines arcsin and arccos to express the logarithm. He is not able to find a true equation, but he is close to it.
Jhenrique
If there is a formula relating the exponential with sine and cosine normal and hyperbolic (exp(ix) = cos(x) + i sin(x), exp(x) = cosh(x) + sinh(x)), there is also a formula relating the logarithm with arcsin, arccos, and arcsinh arccosh?

Physics news on Phys.org
But, But I wonder if there is a general expression that combines the sine the cosine (hyperbolic or no) of one side of the equality with the logarithm, in other side of the equality...

Are you talking about expressing sin(x) and cos(x) in terms of log(x)? Your question is not very clear.

Sorry. I'm talking about an expression of log(x) in terms of arcsinh(x) and arcosh(x).

Already answered in Post #2

You mean ln (e^x) = x and ln (e^ix) = ix? I'm sorry, I'm not following your question.

I apologize too, because my English is primitive...

I'm trying to say that if you can combine sine and cosine to express the exponential, then it should also be possible to combine and arcsin arccos to express the logarithm. But this combination is not so simple ... I tried to add and multiply arcsineh(x) with arccosh(x), I tried to combine they by arithmetic and geometric mean, I tried to break log(x) on even and odd function. I've tried several things, but I was not able to find a true expression.

I look for an expression as log(x) = arccosh(x) + arcsinh(x). This expression is false, but it is close of the genuine.

Do you mean

$$\log(x)=\mathrm{arcsinh} \left( \frac{x^2-1}{2x} \right)=\imath \arcsin \left( \frac{x^2-1}{2 \imath x} \right)$$

This only holds for 0<x
but similar expressions can be used for x complex

1. What is the relationship between logarithms and inverse trigonometric functions?

The relationship between logarithms and inverse trigonometric functions, such as arcsine, arccosine, and arctangent, is that they are all mathematical operations that involve finding the angle or value that produces a specific result in a given function. Logarithms are used to find the power or exponent that produces a specific number, while inverse trigonometric functions are used to find the angle that produces a specific trigonometric ratio.

2. How are logarithms and inverse trigonometric functions used in real-world applications?

Logarithms and inverse trigonometric functions are used in a variety of fields, including physics, engineering, and finance. In physics, logarithms are used to measure the intensity of earthquakes and sound waves, while inverse trigonometric functions are used to analyze the motion of objects. In finance, logarithms are used to calculate compound interest and stock prices, while inverse trigonometric functions are used in option pricing models.

3. Can logarithms and inverse trigonometric functions be used interchangeably?

No, logarithms and inverse trigonometric functions cannot be used interchangeably. While they both involve finding specific values in a given function, they serve different purposes and have different properties. Logarithms are used to solve equations involving exponents, while inverse trigonometric functions are used to solve equations involving angles and trigonometric ratios.

4. Are there any limitations to using logarithms and inverse trigonometric functions?

Yes, there are limitations to using logarithms and inverse trigonometric functions. In some cases, certain values may not have a corresponding logarithm or inverse trigonometric function. Additionally, the use of these functions may also introduce round-off errors and other inaccuracies in calculations.

5. How can understanding the relationship between logarithms and inverse trigonometric functions benefit me?

Understanding the relationship between logarithms and inverse trigonometric functions can benefit you in various ways. It can help you solve complex mathematical problems, make predictions and calculations in real-world applications, and deepen your understanding of mathematical concepts. Additionally, it can also aid in understanding and interpreting data in fields such as science, finance, and engineering.