Is There a Safer and More Efficient Way to Wind a Spool?

In summary, retractable cords, pet/id leashes, and tape measures all work in a similar way with a long metal band coiled inside. However, dealing with the many feet of coiled metal can be dangerous and the coil has relatively little power in its original state. The strength could potentially be increased by exchanging the metal band for wire and using a zip-tie to make it safer. For a smaller length of travel, there may be more efficient coils or mechanisms for winding the spool. One potential solution could be using clockwork designs with springs, such as self-retracting tapes or spring balancer tool holders. Another option could be using a piston in a cylinder or a syringe to create a constant pulling force.
Alt-Bringer
sorry bout long lead up

retractable cords, pet/id leashes and tape measuers work the same way
they have a really long metal band coiled inside, anchored on 2 separate pieces
this coiled up band of metal gets tighter as you pull, and tries to uncoil when let go

my questions/problems are as such

the many feet of metal band take up a decent amount of space
dealing with many feet of coiled metal is relatively dangerous (if it "pops out")
the coil has relatively little power (in their original state)

im fairly certian this type of coil is used because of the " length of travel"
(if you want to pull out 20ft of cord, that spool needs to spin many many times)

i believe the strenght would be increased just by exchanging the metal band, for wire
coiling could be made safer, with use of a zip-tie
but were still talking many feet of loose metal

if i have a much smaller length of travel, is there a more efficient coil or other mechanism for winding the spool?
how can i get more resistance (resists removal of cord or "unspooling")

lets say this device is metal, and the approximate size of a roll/spool of teflon tape
(1" > inner dia, 2" dia flange)

the coil needs to fit the inner dia.
spool only needs to rotate a few dozen or so times

then i would need to find a calculator online for determining coil make and power
(i remember finding one for compression/extension springs, but not sure about coils)

Engineering news on Phys.org
sorry
yes, it was meant to be a question (was going to try editing the OP to clear up but can't do that here)

im trying to make spool "self wind"
the problem is i want a greater resistance in a smaller form, if possible

i just had a revelation, but can't find an explanation of the mechanism on the internet

wind up live traps (mouse trap)
the mechanism is near impossible to get to w/o destroying the unit (you can only see the stopper mech, which I've no interest in)
but appears to be closer to what i want
all you can see and infer of the mech proper, is that its a rod/tube and includes a coil or spring

anyone happen to know what the mech likely is, and how it works (so i could make it)

i think if i only needed it to spin partialy, itd use one of those omega shaped springs
but since i need more travel, it won't work

Alt-Bringer said:
the problem is i want a greater resistance in a smaller form, if possible
All engineers want that. There are many “clockwork” solutions that involve springs. The energy stored is the force employed multiplied by the distance travelled. The volume of spring material needed will be proportional to the total energy storage needed. So using a long thin wire spring or a short roll of flat spring tape is decided by how much force you need to apply and over what length you need it to act. Self retracting tapes are reasonably close to optimum. You could scale those designs to suit your application.

You have not specified the application, force, turns, or the length of filament that the spool must hold. That is not the best way to get assistance.

*deleted hours rambling, sad excuse for communication

lets say i can steal the guts from a tape mesure, and have it work for what i need
since i need far less rotations than the measure, could i subtract some length from the coil, and "increase power" that way?

or is my best bet just to get some music wire, and make a coil randomly and work from there?
since i can't really explain what I am doing?

since the other dimension change depending how small or large a coil i can/need to use
all i can state for sure is I am tring to achieve about 10lbs of resistance

(i mean i know what I am trying to do, and can do it safely, but damned if i can express it cohereantly)

eBay search 'Spring Balancer Tool Holder'
Small ones are like a retracting tape and cost less than $20, bigger ones have a fusee.

You might find a retracting tape that gives about 10 lbs of pull, then if you only need x% of the retraction length, keep a little more than an x% length of the internal clock spring.

Two clock springs wound together will pull twice as hard as one.
If you cut a clock spring down the middle, one half will have half the pull of the original.

If you need only a short straight pull, you can use a piston in a cylinder.

When a gas is compressed in a cylinder, the force on the piston increases as the compressed volume reduces. But if you draw a vacuum with a piston in a cylinder, (or with a syringe), you have a constant pulling force on the piston.

Given atmospheric pressure across the piston and a need for about 10 lbs of pull, you could use a syringe with an internal cylinder diameter of about 0.94”.

found this
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008WZC2LK/?tag=pfamazon01-20

though on amazon many of these devices have rather poor reviews
(the few that have any reviews)

but after trying other wordings, i came across these
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000UGLHB0/?tag=pfamazon01-20

would this work as an alternative maybe?

1. What is a self winding spool?

A self winding spool is a type of spool that automatically winds or reels up a material, such as thread or wire, without the need for manual winding. This feature is usually achieved through a mechanism that uses the tension of the material being wound to turn the spool.

2. How does a self winding spool work?

A self winding spool works by utilizing the tension of the material being wound to turn the spool. This tension is usually created by a mechanism that pulls the material as it is being fed onto the spool, causing the spool to rotate and wind up the material.

3. What are the benefits of using a self winding spool?

Some benefits of using a self winding spool include faster and more efficient winding, as well as less strain on the user's hands and wrists. It can also reduce the chances of tangles and knots, resulting in a smoother and neater winding process.

4. What materials can be wound on a self winding spool?

A self winding spool can be used to wind a variety of materials, such as thread, wire, rope, and even fishing line. The key factor is that the material must have enough tension to turn the spool and be fed onto it in a consistent manner.

5. Are there different types of self winding spools?

Yes, there are different types of self winding spools, such as electric and spring-loaded spools. Electric self winding spools use a motor to turn the spool, while spring-loaded spools use a spring mechanism to create tension and turn the spool. The specific type used will depend on the intended application and user preferences.