Is there a trick to tell which is the higher curve?

• I
  • Thread starter Alexandra Fabiello
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Curve
In summary, when finding the area bounded between two functions/curves, it is important to determine which is the upper curve and which is the lower curve. This can be done by evaluating each function at a chosen value of x in the interval of interest and comparing the results. If the functions intersect, the interval may need to be split and multiple integrals evaluated. Another way to determine the upper and lower curves is by using the theorem that states if one function is greater than or equal to the other at a point and grows faster, then it is greater for all x-values after that point.
Alexandra Fabiello
The title space is too short for what I want to ask, so here it is.

When determining the area bounded between two functions/curves, you have to know which is the upper curve and which is the lower curve to solve the problem.

Currently I only know how to do it by graphing, but I was wondering if there's another way to do it that's shorter.

Physics news on Phys.org
Alexandra Fabiello said:
The title space is too short for what I want to ask, so here it is.

When determining the area bounded between two functions/curves, you have to know which is the upper curve and which is the lower curve to solve the problem.

Currently I only know how to do it by graphing, but I was wondering if there's another way to do it that's shorter.
When you consider two functions f and g, you can consider the function h = f - g.

h>0 => f>g
h<0 => f<g
h= 0 => f=g

Likes Cosmophile and perplexabot
Math_QED said:
When you consider two functions f and g, you can consider the function h = f - g.

h>0 => f>g
h<0 => f<g
h= 0 => f=g

Thanks!

To tell which function is "the upper curve" or "lower curve" you can choose any value of x (provided that your choice of x is in the interval of interest) and evaluate each function at that x value to determine which function is the upper (or lower) curve. The upper curve will be the function that yields the greatest number. The function that yields the lowest number (when evaluated at the same value of x) will be your lower curve.
Example. If you are given two functions, f(x)= 2x and g(x)=x^2, and you were asked to calculate the area between the two curves in the interval (0,2), then you could evaluate each function (at any value of x in between x=0 and x=2) and the function that yields the greatest number is the "upper function." 1 is in between (0,2) so evaluate each function at x=1. f(1)=2, and g(1)=1. Therefore, f(x) is your upper function in the interval (0,2). Be careful though because if the interval was beyond x=2 then the upper function changes due to the two functions intersecting. f(x)=2x and g(x)=x^2 intersect at x=2. Try evaluating each function at a value of x in the interval (2,6). For instance, if these functions are evaluated at x=4, then f(4)=8, and g(4)=16. Notice that g(x) yielded the greatest number now, so g(x) is now the upper function in the interval (2,6).
As a last note, its always good to check if the given functions intersect in a given interval before naming each function as "upper" or "lower." If they intersect in the interval, then you will have to evaluate the integral by splitting up the interval, and thus evaluate two integrals (or possibly more if your two functions intersect more than once in the given interval. (If you have questions on how to do this, let me know). (you can check to see if two functions intersect in a given interval by setting them equal to each other and solving for x. If the x you find is in the interval, then the two functions intersect within that interval).

Did this answer your question?

Last edited:
Likes Cosmophile and perplexabot
The ways listed above are the simplest, in my opinion. Though, there is also a handy theorem to know:

Let ##f, g## be two continuous, differentiable functions on some interval ##[a,b].## If ##f(a) \leq g(a)## and ##f'(x) \leq g'(x)## on ##(a,b)##, then ##f \leq g## on that interval.

In other words, if ##g## is greater than or equal to ##f## at ##a##, and if ##g## grows faster than ##f##, then ##g## is bigger than ##f## for all ##x > a## in the interval.

There have been cases where, just by knowing this, I've been able to jump straight into the computation of the integral without having to evaluate each function at some test point. Especially if the interval goes from ##[0, b]##. Usually, though, the ways listed above are the best.

Likes SammyS and member 587159
Given two curves y = f(x) and y = g(x) on some interval a ≤ x ≤ b, then — unless you know in advance that one curve is greater than the other — they may intersect in some number n of points xj, say for 1 ≤ j ≤ n, between a and b. To find those points, you would need to solve the equation

f(x) = g(x)​

for those values of x satisfying the equation and lying between a and b. Then, assuming you are finding the area per se (and not the "signed area"), you would want to integrate the absolute value

|f(x) - g(x)|

between each successive pair of x-values x = a, x = x1, x = x2, ..., x = xn, x = b.

To do this, you could just test one value in the interior each of the intervals of integration to see whether f(x)-g(x) is positive or negative. (It will not be 0; do you see why?) That will tell you whether

|f(x) - g(x)| = f(x) - g(x)

or

|f(x) - g(x)| = g(x) - f(x).

And finally, add the results together to get the total area between the curves.

Related to Is there a trick to tell which is the higher curve?

1. What is the difference between a higher and lower curve?

The higher curve is generally the one that is located above another curve and has a higher point on the graph. The lower curve is located below the higher curve and has a lower point on the graph.

2. How can I determine which curve is higher without looking at the graph?

One way to determine which curve is higher is by looking at the equation of each curve. The curve with a higher coefficient or exponent will generally be the higher curve.

3. Are there any visual cues that can help me identify the higher curve?

Yes, there are a few visual cues that can help you identify the higher curve. The higher curve will generally have a steeper slope or a larger amplitude compared to the lower curve. It may also intersect the y-axis at a higher point.

4. Can the higher curve change depending on the scale of the graph?

Yes, the higher curve can change depending on the scale of the graph. If the scale of the graph is changed, the relative positions of the curves may also change. This could result in the lower curve becoming the higher curve and vice versa.

5. Is there a foolproof method to determine the higher curve?

No, there is no foolproof method to determine the higher curve. It ultimately depends on the specific equations and variables being graphed. It is important to carefully analyze the graph and equations to accurately identify the higher curve.