Is there a way to make sub-forums appear on the PF front page?

• Suggestion
  • Thread starter PeterDonis
  • Start date
In summary: Yes, I think that would be a helpful addition.Then it stands by itself, when now it's a sub forum, part of a relational hierarchy.Yes, I think that would be a helpful addition.
Right now sub-forums (such as the Quantum Interpretations and Foundations forum, a subforum of Quantum Physics) don't appear on the PF front page; only top-level forums do. This can make subforums harder to find, or hide the fact that they even exist from new members. Is there a way to have sub-forums appear on the front page (for example, indented under the top-level forum they are subforums of)?

Likes JD_PM, weirdoguy, Wrichik Basu and 1 other person
Physics news on Phys.org
This was a decision to choose a cleaner front interface.

Greg Bernhardt said:
This was a decision to choose a cleaner front interface.

If the interface is so clean that new members don't even know subforums exist, it might be too clean. :wink:

What prompted this thread was that I moved a post from the QM forum to the QM interpretations subforum because the OP had been unable to find the foundations subforum--even though he had found the QM guidelines that told him such a forum existed. Now that his thread is in that subforum, he can see the link to it at the top of the thread page, but to him, in his words, it was as if the subforum appeared "by magic" where he couldn't see it before.

If it's too much clutter to put actual subforum links on the front page by default, at least some visual indication that there are subforums, where applicable, might be helpful. Maybe a "subforums" link that, when clicked, takes you to the main forum page and somehow focuses in on the block at the top where the subforum links are. (For that matter, a little header saying "Subforums" or something similar above that block on the main forum page might be helpful.)

Likes phinds
PeterDonis said:
If the interface is so clean that new members don't even know subforums exist, it might be too clean. :wink:
I didn't think we wanted to promote that forum anyway :D

• Haha
Likes weirdoguy and atyy
Greg Bernhardt said:
I didn't think we wanted to promote that forum anyway

I don't know about "promote" in the sense of "get excited about all the wonderful posts there", but I think we certainly wanted to redirect posts from QM to that forum that were just noise in QM. :wink:

Instead the front page, could we have a "tree view" or "site map" under the Forums header on the top bar, or on the bottom bar next to CONTACT.

Likes phinds
Given that 'Quantum Interpretations and Foundations forum' is the only Physics Sub-Forum (if I am not mistaken), why not filling the gap? :smile:

Captura de pantalla (1049).png

JD_PM said:
Given that 'Quantum Interpretations and Foundations forum' is the only Physics Sub-Forum (if I am not mistaken), why not filling the gap? :smile:
Then it stands by itself, when now it's a sub forum, part of a relational hierarchy.

Likes JD_PM

1. How can I make sub-forums visible on the PF front page?

To make sub-forums appear on the PF front page, you can go to the "Forum Management" section in your PF admin panel and select "Manage Forums." Then, click on the sub-forum you want to appear on the front page and check the box that says "Show on forum index."

2. Can I choose which sub-forums appear on the front page?

Yes, you can select which sub-forums appear on the front page by following the steps mentioned above and checking the box next to the specific sub-forum you want to display. You can also rearrange the order of the sub-forums by dragging and dropping them in the desired position.

3. Will the sub-forums automatically appear on the front page once I check the box?

Yes, once you check the box next to the sub-forum you want to display, it will automatically appear on the front page of your PF forum. However, you may need to refresh the page to see the changes.

4. Can I make sub-forums appear on the front page without making them visible to guests?

Yes, you can make sub-forums visible on the front page without making them visible to guests. In the "Forum Management" section, click on "Permissions" next to the sub-forum you want to modify. Then, uncheck the box next to "Viewable by guests" and save your changes.

5. Is it possible to have sub-forums appear on the front page in a different layout?

Yes, you can change the layout of sub-forums on the front page by going to the "Forum Management" section and selecting "Front Page Layout." From there, you can choose from various layout options for your sub-forums, such as grid or list view.