Is there an easier way to solve rational equations?

• Thread starter cmcraes
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rational
In summary, solving rational expressions with monomial, binomial, and trinomial denominators involves converting them into polynomial equations and solving through factoring. While there are alternative methods such as the quadratic formula or certain formulas for specific types of rational equations, they are not necessarily quicker or easier than factoring. Even using multiple Newton iterations and deflating the polynomial may not result in a simple fraction answer.
cmcraes
Hi there, I've been learning about Solving for x in rational expressions with Mono, Bi and tri nomial denominators, and I was curious if there was an easier way to solve them than by factoring.

I already understand and fully grasp the concept, but its just annoying to go through all the same steps over and over again.

Is there some process (maybe integration, or derivation) that could 'simplify' the problem? Thanks!

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
You multiply on both sides of the equations by the "least common denominator" to convert to a polynomial equation. Then you have to solve the polynomial equation- and one way of doing that is factoring! I presume you know the "quadratic formula". There also exist formulas (though much more difficult http://www.sosmath.com/algebra/factor/fac11/fac11.html, http://www.sosmath.com/algebra/factor/fac12/fac12.html). There do not, and can not, exist formula that solve higher degree polynomial equations (in terms of elementary functions such are roots).

Yes i know you can turn it into a Polynomial equation and factor it, Thats exactly what I am trying to find a quicker way of doing! Haah

I don't think there is a quicker way. When there is a polynomial in the denominator, it's much more convenient to have the polynomial in factored form (as a product of lower-degree polynomials) than it is to have it as a sum of terms.

I wouldn't be surprised if you could come up with a formula for a few certain classes of rational equations (like you can for quadratic, cubic, quartic), but it would not necessarily be any easier to solve. It might be fun to find some... but I'm not going to do it.

I would run multiple Newton iterations then deflate the polynomial.

Tough luck if what comes out of there is not an easy fraction.

Related to Is there an easier way to solve rational equations?

1. What is a rational equation?

A rational equation is an equation that contains at least one rational expression, which is a fraction with a polynomial in the numerator and denominator. Examples of rational equations include 3/x = 5 and (x+2)/(x+1) = 2.

2. Why are rational equations difficult to solve?

Rational equations can be difficult to solve because they often involve fractions and can lead to complex equations with multiple steps. Additionally, the variables in rational equations can be present in both the numerator and denominator, making it challenging to isolate and solve for a specific variable.

3. Is there a specific method for solving rational equations?

Yes, there are specific steps that can be followed to solve rational equations. These steps include clearing fractions, factoring, finding a common denominator, and solving for the variable. However, some equations may require additional techniques such as cross-multiplication or using the LCD (lowest common denominator).

4. Can rational equations be solved using a calculator?

Yes, rational equations can be solved using a calculator, but it is important to note that calculators may not always provide the most simplified form of the solution. It is still important to understand the steps and methods for solving rational equations by hand in order to check the accuracy of calculator solutions.

5. Are there any shortcuts or tricks for solving rational equations?

While there are no shortcuts or tricks for solving all rational equations, there are some strategies that can make the process easier. These include simplifying fractions, using the distributive property, and checking for common factors. It is also helpful to practice and become familiar with common patterns and techniques for solving different types of rational equations.