Is there an equivalent form for arctan?

In summary, there is confusion about the use of arctan(epsilon) in a specific problem and how it relates to the general formula arctan(x) = ∫(dt)/(a2+t2). A suggestion is made to substitute u for t/epsilon in the integral, but there is uncertainty about how epsilon is incorporated into the argument of arctan. The solution ultimately yields 1, but there may be an error in the original problem.
Aristotle
Hi, I was just looking at an example for a certain problem and noticed that in the second step they went to arctan(epsilon). I know there's a form that is equal to arctan but am a little unsure.
I've come across formulas on the web such as
arctan(x) = ∫(dt)/(a2+t2)
but nothing else that would get to arctan.

Can somebody please direct me to the correct formula?

CnCbra6.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the ##\varepsilon## in the term with ##\tan^{-1}## is misleading. What if you substitute ##u := \frac{t}{\varepsilon}## and solve the integral?

fresh_42 said:
I think the ##\varepsilon## in the term with ##\tan^{-1}## is misleading. What if you substitute ##u := \frac{t}{\varepsilon}## and solve the integral?
If you don't mind me asking, where did you get t/ε from?

For the integral, ##\varepsilon## is only a disturbing constant as ##\pi## is. I simply tried to get the integral in the form ##\int \frac{1}{1+x^2} dx## which means to pull out ##\varepsilon^2## in the denominator.

fresh_42 said:
For the integral, ##\varepsilon## is only a disturbing constant as ##\pi## is. I simply tried to get the integral in the form ##\int \frac{1}{1+x^2} dx## which means to pull out ##\varepsilon^2## in the denominator.
The only way I see taking ε2 out of the denominator is dividing that number by itself for numerator and denominator.
But you would get ∫(1/ε)⋅( (dt) / ( (t22)+1) )

Yes, and now substitute ##u := \frac{t}{\varepsilon}## and replace ##dt## by ##du##.

fresh_42 said:
Yes, and now substitute ##u := \frac{t}{\varepsilon}## and replace ##dt## by ##du##.
Wouldn't that get you arctan(t) and not arctan(ε)?

##\arctan u## as I see it. I don't understand how the ##\varepsilon## get's into the argument of ##\arctan##. As such it is the variable where the ##\pm \infty## apply to, not the ##\varepsilon## from the limit. I said I find the notation misleading. But it's only a temporary result anyway, so I didn't bother too much.

Likes Aristotle
fresh_42 said:
##\arctan u## as I see it. I don't understand how the ##\varepsilon## get's into the argument of ##\arctan##. As such it is the variable where the ##\pm \infty## apply to, not the ##\varepsilon## from the limit. I said I find the notation misleading. But it's only a temporary result anyway, so I didn't bother too much.
Thank you so much for your help! I also got the same. Possibly their answer is incorrect...

Aristotle said:
Thank you so much for your help! I also got the same. Possibly their answer is incorrect...
Why? It's ##1## in the end, so the result is correct, only the ##\varepsilon## in between is odd.

fresh_42 said:
Why? It's ##1## in the end, so the result is correct, only the ##\varepsilon## in between is odd.
Woops didnt mean to say the answer was wrong. ?:)
But yeah the ε in the arctan in that step is odd. Think they forgot a 't' in the numerator.

Related to Is there an equivalent form for arctan?

1. What is the equivalent form for arctan?

The equivalent form for arctan is the inverse function of tangent, also known as arctangent.

2. What is the definition of arctan?

The arctan function is defined as the angle whose tangent is equal to a given number or ratio.

3. How is arctan related to trigonometric functions?

Arctan is a trigonometric function that is the inverse of tangent. It is also related to sine and cosine through the identity tan(x) = sin(x)/cos(x).

4. What is the domain and range of arctan?

The domain of arctan is all real numbers, while the range is from -π/2 to π/2 radians (-90° to 90°).

5. How is arctan used in mathematics and science?

Arctan is used in a variety of mathematical and scientific applications, including solving right angle triangles, finding angles in trigonometric equations, and calculating complex numbers in polar form.