Is There Another Method to Evaluate This Limit Without Using Taylor Series?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Barioth
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Form Limit
In summary, the conversation discusses a limit involving logarithms and asks if there is an alternative method to evaluating it besides using Taylor series. The expert suggests substituting a variable and using L'Hopital's rule to simplify the limit.
Barioth
Hi, I have a question that is very close the the one of the OP so I tough I should post in here instead of making a new thread. (Hope no one mind )

Let's say

\(\displaystyle \lim_{x->\pm\infty}x(log \sqrt{x} - log(\sqrt{x}-y)-\frac{y}{\sqrt{x}} )=\frac{y^2}{2}\)

Now I could use taylor series to evaluate it, is there another way? (I find using taylor series very long)

Thanks for passing by!

Physics news on Phys.org
Barioth said:
Hi, I have a question that is very close the the one of the OP so I tough I should post in here instead of making a new thread. (Hope no one mind )

Let's say

\(\displaystyle \lim_{x->\pm\infty}x(log \sqrt{x} - log(\sqrt{x}-y)-\frac{y}{\sqrt{x}} )=\frac{y^2}{2}\)

Now I could use taylor series to evaluate it, is there another way? (I find using taylor series very long)

Thanks for passing by!

Well, let's substitute $u = \sqrt x$.
Note that the limit can only exist if x is positive.

Then you get
$$\lim_{u \to \infty}u^2\left(\log u - \log(u-y)-\frac{y}{u} \right)
= \lim_{u \to \infty}u^2\left(\log u - \log\big( u(1-\frac y u)\big)-\frac{y}{u} \right)
= \lim_{u \to \infty}u^2\left(- \log\big(1-\frac y u\big)-\frac{y}{u} \right)
$$
Now do a Taylor expansion with \(\displaystyle \frac y u\)...

I like Serena said:
Well, let's substitute $u = \sqrt x$.
Note that the limit can only exist if x is positive.

Then you get
$$\lim_{u \to \infty}u^2\left(\log u - \log(u-y)-\frac{y}{u} \right)
= \lim_{u \to \infty}u^2\left(\log u - \log\big( u(1-\frac y u)\big)-\frac{y}{u} \right)
= \lim_{u \to \infty}u^2\left(- \log\big(1-\frac y u\big)-\frac{y}{u} \right)
$$
Now do a Taylor expansion with \(\displaystyle \frac y u\)...
You could at this point let $1 - \dfrac{y}{u} = e^p$ so that $u \to \infty$ gives $p \to 0$ and turn the limit into one that you can use L'Hopital's rule on.

Related to Is There Another Method to Evaluate This Limit Without Using Taylor Series?

What is a limit in an indeterminate form?

A limit in an indeterminate form is a situation where the expression for the limit of a function approaches either positive or negative infinity, or takes on the form of 0/0 or ∞/∞. These types of limits do not have a defined value and require further analysis to determine the actual limit.

How do you evaluate a limit in an indeterminate form?

To evaluate a limit in an indeterminate form, you can use various techniques such as factoring, simplifying, or applying L'Hospital's rule. These methods help to manipulate the expression into a form that is no longer indeterminate, allowing you to substitute the value of the limit variable and find the actual limit.

What is L'Hospital's rule and when should it be used?

L'Hospital's rule is a mathematical theorem that states if the limit of a function in an indeterminate form can be written as the quotient of two differentiable functions, then the limit can be evaluated by taking the derivative of both the numerator and denominator and then taking the limit again. This rule should be used when the other methods of evaluating indeterminate forms, such as factoring or simplifying, do not work.

Can a limit in an indeterminate form have multiple solutions?

Yes, a limit in an indeterminate form can have multiple solutions. This is because different methods of evaluating the limit may result in different values. It is important to check your solution by using other methods to ensure that it is correct.

What are some real-world applications of limits in indeterminate forms?

Limits in indeterminate forms are commonly used in physics and engineering to analyze rates of change and predict the behavior of systems. They are also used in calculus to calculate derivatives and integrals of complex functions. In finance, limits in indeterminate forms are used to determine the maximum profit or loss in certain investment scenarios. Additionally, they are used in computer science and data analysis to optimize algorithms and analyze data sets.