Is there any math involved here?

• Thread starter robert Ihnot
  • Start date
In summary, the stock XYZ declared a special dividend of $8/share on the ex-dividend date, causing the price to drop immediately by the same amount. While the payment date was 3 weeks later, there was no significant effort to recover the former price due to other factors such as the high P/E ratio and issues in Europe. The dividend was not given much attention in the market and the speaker was unable to find any help or explanation for the situation. It was also noted that the accounting for the dividend and stock sale can be confusing.
robert Ihnot
Now a matter I'd like to bring up is that XYZ-- I will let you guess the stock--declared a special dividend of $8/share awarded on the ex-dividend date at 9 a.m. Generally a dividend is small, like 50 cents or a $1.00 and the net result is that the price is automatically and immediately dropped by the amount of the dividend. However, it usually recovers fast, maybe even in one day. The payment date is about 3 weeks later, and I had some expectation that it (might) recover the $8 by that time.

As far as the mathematics of this $8 dividend, if it was even worth anything, nobody in the market seemed to find it important enough to even mention. It seems on the ex-dividend date, the stock dropped about $7.00, when I looked, and I immediately sold my shares.

Now the stock had a p/e of over 300 and as far as I have been able to tell in the following weeks, the P/e was so high on this over $100 stock,that it made no difference if it dropped $8.00 or not. I doubt buyers can tell the difference, and there has been, in the wake of the problems in Europe with the Euro, no real effort to recover the former price. Actually now the stock is below the price I sold it at.

I tried to think this out for some time. I never found anyone one to help, or even comment. The way dividends usually go, they quickly recover...but this did not work that way. I had some assumption that the stock price would rise as one reached the ex-dividend date, as people would want the $8/share. On the other hand, why not sell prior to the $8 drop, keep the $8 in my pocket, and then buy back at the reduced price?

I spent a lot of time thinking about this matter and never arrived at any conclusion. The press totally ignored the dividend. My broker had no suggestions. Furtheremore it muddles the accounting since the dividend is counted seperately from the money lost on the stock sale.

Was there any math here worth thinking about? I have no idea, but I do know now what immediately happened, possessing now 20/20 hindsight.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
robert Ihnot said:
Now a matter I'd like to bring up is that XYZ-- I will let you guess the stock--declared a special dividend of $8/share awarded on the ex-dividend date at 9 a.m. Generally a dividend is small, like 50 cents or a $1.00 and the net result is that the price is automatically and immediately dropped by the amount of the dividend. However, it usually recovers fast, maybe even in one day. The payment date is about 3 weeks later, and I had some expectation that it (might) recover the $8 by that time.

As far as the mathematics of this $8 dividend, if it was even worth anything, nobody in the market seemed to find it important enough to even mention. It seems on the ex-dividend date, the stock dropped about $7.00, when I looked, and I immediately sold my shares.

Now the stock had a p/e of over 300 and as far as I have been able to tell in the following weeks, the P/e was so high on this over $100 stock,that it made no difference if it dropped $8.00 or not. I doubt buyers can tell the difference, and there has been, in the wake of the problems in Europe with the Euro, no real effort to recover the former price. Actually now the stock is below the price I sold it at.

I tried to think this out for some time. I never found anyone one to help, or even comment. The way dividends usually go, they quickly recover...but this did not work that way. I had some assumption that the stock price would rise as one reached the ex-dividend date, as people would want the $8/share. On the other hand, why not sell prior to the $8 drop, keep the $8 in my pocket, and then buy back at the reduced price?
If you sell the stock before the $8 dividend, then buy it back, immediately after the dividend at the 'reduced price' you will have gained or lost nothing- you will have gained $8 on the sale of the stock but lost the $8 dividend. That's the reason for the drop in the price of the stock. As for it regaining that amount in the future, that depends on the market for that particular stock.

I spent a lot of time thinking about this matter and never arrived at any conclusion. The press totally ignored the dividend. My broker had no suggestions. Furtheremore it muddles the accounting since the dividend is counted seperately from the money lost on the stock sale.

Was there any math here worth thinking about? I have no idea, but I do know now what immediately happened, possessing now 20/20 hindsight.

1. What is the importance of math in scientific research?

Math is essential in scientific research because it allows us to quantify and analyze data, make predictions, and test hypotheses. It provides a universal language for communicating and understanding complex concepts in various fields of science.

2. How is math used in different branches of science?

Math is used in almost all branches of science, including biology, chemistry, physics, and earth sciences. In biology, math is used in genetics, population studies, and ecology. In chemistry, math is used to calculate chemical reactions and properties. In physics, math is used to describe the behavior of matter and energy. In earth sciences, math is used to measure and analyze geological, atmospheric, and oceanographic data.

3. Can I be a successful scientist without being good at math?

While having strong math skills can be beneficial in scientific research, it is not a requirement to be a successful scientist. Many scientists collaborate with mathematicians or use computer programs to handle complex calculations. However, having a basic understanding of math concepts and the ability to interpret and analyze data is essential in any scientific field.

4. How can I improve my math skills for scientific research?

To improve your math skills for scientific research, you can practice solving math problems related to your field of study, take courses or workshops specifically focused on math for scientists, and seek help from a mentor or tutor. It is also important to regularly review and apply mathematical concepts in your research to maintain and improve your skills.

5. Are there any resources available for scientists to learn and apply math in their research?

Yes, there are many resources available for scientists to learn and apply math in their research. These include textbooks, online courses, workshops, and tutorials, as well as software and computer programs designed for scientific data analysis. Many universities also offer resources and support for students and researchers to improve their math skills and apply them to their work.