Is there any solution to the equation x^(0.5)+1=0?

• I
  • Thread starter Alan Lugano
  • Start date
In summary: No, it comes from solving equations.Suppose we are given ##a \geq 0## and we wish to find ##x \in \mathbb{R}## such that ##x^2 = a##. Then we show:If ##a = 0## there only exists one solution, namely ##x=0##,If ##a \neq 0## then there exists two distinct solutions ##x_1## and ##x_2##,We involke the fact that the reals have a total ordering, so that either ##x_1 > x_2## or ##x_1 < x_2##.We prove that ##x_2 = -x_1##.After
Alan Lugano
I got myselft wondering if there is any solution to the equation x^(0.5)+1=0. I know that for a real x there is not but, when I assume x is any imaginary number in the form e^(ix/2) and then solve the equation e^(ix/2)=-1 the result is x=2(2 pi n + pi) for integer values of n. If one then takes n=1, x=6pi and e^(i 6pi) = 1. Whaaaat?

My other question is why in an equation like the one above, squaring both sides to get the solution is not allowed since it would result in x=1.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Why isn't ##1## a solution ?

Hello Alan, :welcome:

Alan Lugano said:
when I assume x is any imaginary number in the form e^(ix/2)
You mean 'of the form ##e^{ix}## '
Alan Lugano said:
If one then takes n=1, x=6pi and e^(i 6pi) = 1
You mean 'and ##e^{3\pi} = -1## '

Question is: is ##e^{6\pi}## in the domain of the function, or is the domain limited to arguments ##[0, 2\pi)## or perhaps ##(-\pi , \pi]## ? Read about it here

(I only get to see the animation when I open the picture in a new tab)

Buffu said:
Why isn't ##1## a solution ?

Well I think that once you substitute x=1 in the equation you would get:

1^(0.5) + 1 = 0
2=0 ?

Am I missing something?

BvU said:
Hello Alan, :welcome:You mean 'of the form ##e^{ix}## '

You mean 'and ##e^{3\pi} = -1## '

Question is: is ##e^{6\pi}## in the domain of the function, or is the domain limited to arguments ##[0, 2\pi)## or perhaps ##(-\pi , \pi]## ? Read about it here

(I only get to see the animation when I open the picture in a new tab)
Thank you for the answer and the greeting! Let me put it differently:

I have the equation:

##x^{0.5}## +1 = 0

So I assume that ##x=e^{iy}## and then I get that ##e^{iy/2}+1=0##

From the Euler's identity I have a solution in the form ##y=2\pi##

So ##x=e^{2\pi i}## which gives ##x=1## and therefore ##1^{0.5}+1=0##. Where am I missing something?

Alan Lugano said:
Well I think that once you substitute x=1 in the equation you would get:

1^(0.5) + 1 = 0
2=0 ?

Am I missing something?

No you are correct but also ##(-1)^2 = 1## so ##1^{1/2} = \pm 1##. Or ##1^{1/2} + 1 = -1 + 1 = 0##.

You were told to find the solutions to the equation.

Buffu said:
No you are correct but also ##(-1)^2 = 1## so ##1^{1/2} = \pm 1##. Or ##1^{1/2} + 1 = -1 + 1 = 0##.

You were told to find the solutions to the equation.

But if you graph the function ##y(x)=1^{x}## and look at the point ##x=0.5## you will get y=1. In the other hand, if you graph ##(-1)^{x}## you will get ##y=i##. So how can you affirm that ##1^{1/2}+1=-1+1=0##??

Alan Lugano said:
But if you graph the function ##y(x)=1^{x}## and look at the point ##x=0.5## you will get y=1. In the other hand, if you graph ##(-1)^{x}## you will get ##y=i##. So how can you affirm that ##1^{1/2}+1=-1+1=0##??

Are you saying that you don't believe that ##(-1)^2 = 1## ?

When you graph a function, the graph will be on the domain and range of the function. For the function ##f(x) = \sqrt{x}##, the domain and range is ##x\ge 0## (by convention for range).

You are given to find the solutions to a equation not roots of a function ##f(x) = \sqrt{x} + 1##.

Alan Lugano said:
But if you graph the function ##y(x)=1^{x}##...
The graph of ##y = 1^x## isn't very interesting, assuming x and y are real numbers. 1 raised to any finite power is just 1, so the graph is just a horizontal line through (0, 1).

Last edited:
Buffu said:
By convention ##\sqrt{1} = + 1##, ##\sqrt 4 = + 2##, NOT ##\pm 1## or ##\pm 2##, respectively. By extension, ##1^{1/2} = \sqrt 1##.

If ##z = e^{i\cdot 2\pi}## = 1 + 0i, then the principal (complex) square root is ##e^{i \cdot \pi}## = -1 + 0i. So this value of z is a solution to the equation ##z^{1/2} = -1##, or equivalently ##z^{1/2} + 1 = 0##.

I am using z to reinforce the idea that I'm working with complex numbers.

Mark44 said:
If ##z = e^{i\cdot 2\pi}## = 1 + 0i, then the principal (complex) square root is ##e^{i \cdot \pi}## = -1 + 0i. So this value of z is a solution to the equation ##z^{1/2} = -1##, or equivalently ##z^{1/2} + 1 = 0##.

I am using z to reinforce the idea that I'm working with complex numbers.

When you wirte ##z=-1+0i## aren't you saying this is a pure real number once the imaginary part is zero? If so, is it right to say that the equation has a real solution. This is very confusing to me.

Alan Lugano said:
When you wirte ##z=-1+0i## aren't you saying this is a pure real number once the imaginary part is zero?
z here has no imaginary part, but ##z^{1/2}## is complex, and that is what the equation involves.
Alan Lugano said:
If so, is it right to say that the equation has a real solution. This is very confusing to me.

Mark44 said:
By convention ##\sqrt{1} = + 1##, ##\sqrt 4 = + 2##, NOT ##\pm 1## or ##\pm 2##, respectively. By extension, ##1^{1/2} = \sqrt 1##.

Reason for that convention is that to fit ##\sqrt{x}## in functions but that does not matter when solving a equation.

Buffu said:
Reason for that convention is that to fit ##\sqrt{x}## in functions but that does not matter when solving a equation.
You are mistaken.
In the real numbers, ##\sqrt x = 2## has one solution -- x = 4.

Buffu said:
No, it comes from solving equations.

Suppose we are given ##a \geq 0## and we wish to find ##x \in \mathbb{R}## such that ##x^2 = a##. Then we show:
  1. If ##a = 0## there only exists one solution, namely ##x=0##,
  2. If ##a \neq 0## then there exists two distinct solutions ##x_1## and ##x_2##,
  3. We involke the fact that the reals have a total ordering, so that either ##x_1 > x_2## or ##x_1 < x_2##.
  4. We prove that ##x_2 = -x_1##.
After doing all that, we conclude that one of the two solutions is positive and the other is negative. We define the notation ##\sqrt{a}## to be the positive value and call it the principle square root. Due to 4, the other root is then ##-\sqrt{a}##.

Further, it's easy to see that "that does not matter when solving a equation" is a false statement by just looking at the quadratic formula. If ##\sqrt{a}## meant both positive and negative the formula would never have the ##\pm## sign in it.

1. What does the equation x^(0.5)+1=0 represent?

The equation x^(0.5)+1=0 represents a mathematical expression where the square root of x is added to one, resulting in a sum of zero.

2. Is there a solution to this equation?

Yes, there is a solution to this equation. However, it may not be a real number solution. It depends on the value of x.

3. How do you solve this equation?

To solve this equation, you can isolate the x term by subtracting one from both sides and then square both sides to eliminate the square root. This will result in x=-1, which is the solution to the equation.

4. Can this equation be solved algebraically?

Yes, this equation can be solved algebraically as shown in the previous answer. However, there are also other methods to solve this equation, such as using the quadratic formula.

5. What does the solution to this equation represent?

The solution to this equation represents the value of x that makes the equation true. In this case, x=-1 is the only value that satisfies the equation x^(0.5)+1=0.