Is This a Correct Definition of a Limit in Calculus?

In summary, the statement "for all d>0 there exists e>0 such that o<|x-a|<d -> |f(x)-L|<e" is not the definition of limit, as it does not accurately capture the concept. Setting e = 2 does not provide a satisfactory solution without a definition of limit. A more meaningful question would be to provide both definitions and find a function and number that satisfies one definition but not the other.
flying2000
show by example that the stament
for all d>0 there exists e>0 such that o<|x-a|<d ->
|f(x)-L|<e is Not the definition of limit.

would somebody give me a hint?

Physics news on Phys.org
Why not let e be 2?

I don't understand..

matt grime said:
Why not let e be 2?
I think it's "there exists e"

I take it that means you didn't understand the hint?

Ok, the function f(x)=2 for all x in R is obvioulsy continuous. Take your known incorrect definition, take my hint and think...

"there exists e"

If you can do it by setting e = 2, then this clause is certainly satisfied.

how can you answer this without a definition of limit? a more meaningful question would be to also give the definition of limit and then ask for a function and number that satisfies one definition and not the other.

Related to Is This a Correct Definition of a Limit in Calculus?

1. What is a limit definition problem?

A limit definition problem is a type of mathematical problem that involves finding the limit of a function as a variable approaches a specific value. It is commonly used in calculus to determine the behavior of a function at a certain point.

2. How do you solve a limit definition problem?

To solve a limit definition problem, you first need to identify the function and the value that the variable is approaching. Then, you can use various methods such as substitution, algebraic manipulation, or graphing to evaluate the limit and determine its value.

3. What are some common strategies for solving limit definition problems?

Some common strategies for solving limit definition problems include using the properties of limits, applying L'Hopital's rule, using trigonometric identities, and using the squeeze theorem. It is important to choose the most appropriate strategy for each problem.

4. Can you provide an example of a limit definition problem?

Sure, an example of a limit definition problem could be finding the limit of the function f(x) = (x^2 + 3x - 4)/(x-2) as x approaches 2. This can be solved by substituting 2 for x in the function and simplifying the resulting expression to get a limit of 7.

5. Why are limit definition problems important in science?

Limit definition problems are important in science because they help us understand the behavior of functions and how they change over time. They are particularly useful in physics, engineering, and other sciences that involve continuous change and motion.