Is this a linear system of equations?

In summary, the conversation discussed whether a system of equations can be classified as linear and provided a matrix equation as an example. It was mentioned that the system can be considered linear if the f(...) coefficients are constant, but if they are dependent on the S unknowns, the linearity is lost. It was also suggested to consult Wikipedia for a more detailed definition of linear systems.
nde
Hello everyone!

I have a question on whether a system of equations can be classified as linear. I have the following matrix:[itex]
\begin{equation}
\left[ \begin{array}{c} S_t(1) \\ S_t(2) \\ \vdots \\ S_t(\omega_N) \end{array} \right] =
\begin{bmatrix} f(x_1, x_2, 1) & f(x_2, x_3, 1) & \cdots & f(x_i, x_{i+1}, 1) \\
f(x_1, x_2, 2) & f(x_2, x_3, 2) & \cdots & f(x_i, x_{i+1}, 2) \\
\vdots & \vdots & \ddots & \vdots \\
f(x_1, x_2, \omega_N) & f(x_2, x_3, \omega_N) & \cdots & f(x_i, x_{i+1}, \omega_N) \\
\end{bmatrix}
\times
\left[ \begin{array}{c} S_1 \\ S_2 \\ \vdots \\ S_i \end{array} \right]
\label{equationsystem}
\end{equation}
[/itex]where [itex] f(x_i, x_{i+1}, \omega_N) [/itex] is a non-linear function containing two exponential terms and [itex]S_i[/itex] is unknown. Does this system of equations qualify as linear if I know [itex]x_i, x_{i+1}[/itex] and [itex]\omega_N[/itex] and plug it into [itex] f(x_i, x_{i+1}, \omega_N) [/itex] to yield a numerical value (real number)?

If this is true, I should be able to figure out [itex]S_i[/itex] by taking the inverse of the function marix and multiplying both sides with it.

I greatly appreciate your input. Thank you in advance for taking the time to answer this.

Kind regards.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes if the f(...) are considered constant coefficients then you can do the matrix inversion but if they are somehow dependent on the S unknowns then all bets are off.

Thanks for your reply. What do you mean when you say that the [itex]S_i[/itex] are somehow dependent on the [itex]f[/itex]? Could you please illustrate it with a simple example?

Hello,

Based on the information provided, this system of equations does not qualify as linear. A system of linear equations is one where the variables appear only in a linear fashion, meaning they are not raised to any powers or involved in any other non-linear operations. In this case, the function f(x_i, x_{i+1}, \omega_N) contains exponential terms, which makes it non-linear.

To solve a system of linear equations, the inverse of the coefficient matrix can be used, as you mentioned. However, in this case, since the function matrix is not linear, the inverse cannot be calculated using traditional methods.

I would suggest exploring other methods for solving non-linear systems of equations, such as using numerical methods or approximation techniques.

I hope this helps clarify the concept of linear systems of equations. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Best,

What is a linear system of equations?

A linear system of equations is a set of two or more equations that involve two or more variables, where the variables are only raised to the first power and are not multiplied together. The solution to a linear system of equations is a set of values for each variable that satisfies all of the equations simultaneously.

How do I know if a system of equations is linear?

A system of equations is linear if all of the equations in the system are linear, meaning that the variables are only raised to the first power and are not multiplied together. Additionally, the variables in each equation must be the same, meaning they represent the same quantity. If these conditions are met, the system is linear.

What are the methods for solving a linear system of equations?

There are several methods for solving a linear system of equations, including substitution, elimination, and graphing. These methods involve manipulating the equations to eliminate one of the variables, then solving for the remaining variables. Other methods, such as matrix operations and Gaussian elimination, can also be used for more complex systems.

Can a linear system of equations have more than one solution?

Yes, a linear system of equations can have more than one solution. This can happen when there are more variables than equations, or when the equations are not independent, meaning one equation can be obtained by manipulating the others. In these cases, the system is said to have infinitely many solutions, and the solutions form a line or a plane in the solution space.

What is the importance of linear systems of equations in science?

Linear systems of equations are used extensively in science for modeling and solving real-world problems. They are used to describe relationships between various quantities and can help predict outcomes or solve for unknowns. In fields such as physics, engineering, and economics, linear systems of equations are crucial for making accurate predictions and solving complex problems.