Is this a valid equation for determining electromagnetic force?

In summary, the equation found at the eHow link is not a valid equation for calculating the force of an electromagnet and the Biot-Savart Law should be used instead.
Da Apprentice
I have been searching the internet for a simplistic equation which is capable of calculating the force of an electromagnet. I think I have found one at http://www.ehow.com/how_5969962_calculate-force-electromagnet.html however am not entirely sure this is a correct equation (don't really trust Ehow...). Another reason I don't trust the equation is that the Biot-Savart Law is an equation I know which determines the force of a magnetic field produced by an electromanget and this equation appears nothing like that... So is this a valid equation?

Thanks,
Z.C.

Physics news on Phys.org
No, the equation provided at the eHow link is not a valid equation for calculating the force of an electromagnet. The equation provided at the link is an equation to calculate the force between two magnets. The Biot-Savart Law equation is the correct equation to calculate the force of an electromagnet.

Related to Is this a valid equation for determining electromagnetic force?

1. What is an equation for determining electromagnetic force?

An equation for determining electromagnetic force can be expressed as F = q(E + v x B), where F is the force, q is the charge of the particle, E is the electric field, v is the velocity of the particle, and B is the magnetic field.

2. How is this equation derived?

This equation is derived from the Lorentz force law, which states that the force exerted on a charged particle in an electromagnetic field is equal to the product of the charge and the vector sum of the electric and magnetic fields.

3. Is this equation valid for all situations?

This equation is valid for all situations as long as the electric and magnetic fields are perpendicular to each other. If they are not perpendicular, the equation must be modified.

4. What are the units of this equation?

The units of this equation are Newtons (N) for force, Coulombs (C) for charge, Volts per meter (V/m) for electric field, meters per second (m/s) for velocity, and Tesla (T) for magnetic field.

5. How is this equation used in practical applications?

This equation is used in many practical applications, including determining the force between two charged particles, calculating the force on a charged particle in an electric or magnetic field, and understanding the behavior of particles in accelerators and particle colliders.