Does Callen's Entropy Expression for a General Ideal Gas Contain an Error?

In summary: I am trying to use the concepts developed in Callen up to this point and not to use information from outside.
EE18
In Ch. 13.1 of the second edition, Callen defines a general ideal gas as follows:
(1) The mechanical equation of state is of the form ##PV = NRT##.

(2)For a single-component ideal gas the temperature is a function only
of the molar energy (and inversely). ##u = u(T,v) = u(T)## in particular.

(3) The Helmholtz potential ##F(T, V,N_1, N_2, \dots , N_r)## of a multicomponent ideal gas is additive over the components ("Gibbs's Theorem"):
$$F(T, V, N_1, ... , N_r)= F_1(T, V, N_1)+ F_2 (T, V, N_2)
+ \dots +F_r(T,V,N_r).$$

Of course, all of these can be proved as a theorem of statistical mechanics given a no-interaction assumption.

At any rate, my claim is about Callen's claim that a single component ##j## of general ideal gas has the following expression for its entropy:
$$S_j = N_js_{j0} + N_j\int_{T_0}^T \frac{c_{vj}}{T'} \, dT' + N_j R \ln \left(\frac{v}{v_0}\frac{N_0}{N_j}\right).$$

I supply a derivation below but want to confirm:

Let ##S_{j0} = N_js_{j0}## be the entropy in some reference state, and consider taking this substance to some other ##T,V## (at fixed ##N_j##). Then we have
$$dS_j = N_j\frac{c_{vj}}{T}dT + \left(\frac{\partial S}{\partial V}\right)_{T,N}dV = N_j\frac{c_{vj}}{T}dT + \left(\frac{\partial P}{\partial T}\right)_{V,N}dV $$
$$ = N_j\frac{c_{vj}}{T}dT + \left(\frac{\partial (N_jRT/V)}{\partial T}\right)_{V,N}dV = N_j\frac{c_{vj}}{T}dT + (N_jR/V)dV$$
so that
$$\int dS_j = S_j - S_{j0} = S_J - N_js_{j0} = \int_{T_0}^T N_j\frac{c_{vj}}{T'}dT' + \int_{V_0}^V(N_jR/V')dV' \implies S_j = N_js_{j0} + N_j\int_{T_0}^T \frac{c_{vj}}{T'} \, dT' + N_j R \ln \left(\frac{V}{V_0}\right).$$

But this is surely different than what Callen gets. Does Callen perhaps write ##v \equiv V/N_j## and ##v_0 \equiv V_0/N_0## (where ##N_0## is some randomly chosen number of moles)? Then his result is just
$$S_j = N_js_{j0} + N_j\int_{T_0}^T \frac{c_{vj}}{T'} \, dT' + N_j R \ln \left(\frac{v}{v_0}\frac{N_j}{N_0}\right).$$

But things are similar enough that I wonder if I've made an error?

Science news on Phys.org
Which parts are you having trouble with?

hutchphd said:
Which parts are you having trouble with?
Hi! The two parts that I'm struggling with are (1) that I am getting a different argument in the logarithm than Callen (see the ##N_j/N_0## in particular) and (2) understanding how this ##N_0## is defined. I assumed the reference state had the same ##N## as the actual state of interest, but perhaps that's not correct? But, if not, then I'd expect another term involving ##\mu_j## somehow, but that's not present.

EE18 said:
In Ch. 13.1 of the second edition, Callen defines a general ideal gas as follows:
Of course, all of these can be proved as a theorem of statistical mechanics given a no-interaction assumption.

At any rate, my claim is about Callen's claim that a single component ##j## of general ideal gas has the following expression for its entropy:I supply a derivation below but want to confirm:

Let ##S_{j0} = N_js_{j0}## be the entropy in some reference state, and consider taking this substance to some other ##T,V## (at fixed ##N_j##). Then we have
$$dS_j = N_j\frac{c_{vj}}{T}dT + \left(\frac{\partial S}{\partial V}\right)_{T,N}dV = N_j\frac{c_{vj}}{T}dT + \left(\frac{\partial P}{\partial T}\right)_{V,N}dV $$
$$ = N_j\frac{c_{vj}}{T}dT + \left(\frac{\partial (N_jRT/V)}{\partial T}\right)_{V,N}dV = N_j\frac{c_{vj}}{T}dT + (N_jR/V)dV$$
so that
$$\int dS_j = S_j - S_{j0} = S_J - N_js_{j0} = \int_{T_0}^T N_j\frac{c_{vj}}{T'}dT' + \int_{V_0}^V(N_jR/V')dV' \implies S_j = N_js_{j0} + N_j\int_{T_0}^T \frac{c_{vj}}{T'} \, dT' + N_j R \ln \left(\frac{V}{V_0}\right).$$
In a mixture, the partial molar entropy of a component is equal to that of the pure component at the same temperature and at a pressure equal to its partial pressure in the mixture.

Likes hutchphd and Lord Jestocost
Chestermiller said:
In a mixture, the partial molar entropy of a component is equal to that of the pure component at the same temperature and at a pressure equal to its partial pressure in the mixture.
I agree, but I am trying to use the concepts developed in Callen up to this point and not to use information from outside.

To some extent, I am trying to prove the statement you give, although I note that this question involves a so-called "general" ideal gas (Callen Ch 13) rather than a "simple" ideal gas (Callen Ch 3.4) wherein I've seen the derivation which leads to the statement you give. The statement holds for a general ideal gas too, but that's not the crux of my question.

Last edited:
EE18 said:
At any rate, my claim is about Callen's claim that a single component ##j## of general ideal gas has the following expression for its entropy:

1690743791430.png
I believe there is an error in Callen's expression for ##S_j##. The molar volumes in the last term should be actual volumes:

$$S_j = N_j s_{j0} + N_j \int_{T_0}^T \frac{c_{vj}}{T'}dT' + N_j R \ln\left(\frac{V}{V_0}\frac{N_0}{N} \right)$$

This is how Callen writes it in the first edition of his textbook and it agrees with the result from statistical mechanics.

I think this result can be obtained by going back to equation (3.36) in the second edition: $$ds = \left(\frac 1 T \right) du + \left( \frac P T \right) dv,$$ where ##s, u## and ##v## are molar quantities. This is for a single-component ideal gas. Let ##du = c_v dT## where ##c_v## is the molar heat capacity at constant volume. Also, let ##P = \frac{NRT}{V} = \frac{RT}{v}##. So, $$ds = \frac{c_vdT}{T} + R \frac{dv}{v}$$ Integrate to get $$s = s_0 + \int_{T_0}^T \frac{c_vdT}{T} +R \ln \frac{v}{v_0}$$ The total entropy is then $$S = Ns_0 + N\int_{T_0}^T \frac{c_vdT}{T} + NR \ln \frac{v}{v_0} = Ns_0 + N\int_{T_0}^T \frac{c_vdT}{T} + NR \ln\left(\frac{V}{V_0}\frac{N_0}{N} \right)$$

I hope I'm not overlooking something. It seems a bit odd to me that Callen makes the same mistake in equations (13.4) and (13.6) of the 2nd edition.

I still don't see the difference. One is per mole, one is not. How is the result incorrect?

hutchphd said:
I still don't see the difference. One is per mole, one is not. How is the result incorrect?
Callen's result is not extensive (see the logarithm argument).

TSny said:
I believe there is an error in Callen's expression for ##S_j##. The molar volumes in the last term should be actual volumes:

$$S_j = N_j s_{j0} + N_j \int_{T_0}^T \frac{c_{vj}}{T'}dT' + N_j R \ln\left(\frac{V}{V_0}\frac{N_0}{N} \right)$$

This is how Callen writes it in the first edition of his textbook and it agrees with the result from statistical mechanics.

I think this result can be obtained by going back to equation (3.36) in the second edition: $$ds = \left(\frac 1 T \right) du + \left( \frac P T \right) dv,$$ where ##s, u## and ##v## are molar quantities. This is for a single-component ideal gas. Let ##du = c_v dT## where ##c_v## is the molar heat capacity at constant volume. Also, let ##P = \frac{NRT}{V} = \frac{RT}{v}##. So, $$ds = \frac{c_vdT}{T} + R \frac{dv}{v}$$ Integrate to get $$s = s_0 + \int_{T_0}^T \frac{c_vdT}{T} +R \ln \frac{v}{v_0}$$ The total entropy is then $$S = Ns_0 + N\int_{T_0}^T \frac{c_vdT}{T} + NR \ln \frac{v}{v_0} = Ns_0 + N\int_{T_0}^T \frac{c_vdT}{T} + NR \ln\left(\frac{V}{V_0}\frac{N_0}{N} \right)$$

I hope I'm not overlooking something. It seems a bit odd to me that Callen makes the same mistake in equations (13.4) and (13.6) of the 2nd edition.
I agree with your derivation, thank you! I am extremely confused in where I have erred in my derivation. If you see any slips I would greatly appreciate it, but I'll roll with this at any rate :)

hutchphd said:
It's my understanding that the fiducial (reference) state is some arbitrarily chosen ##S_0##, ##V_0##, and ##N_0## and that ##v = V/N## while ##v_0 = V_0/N_0##. The state of interest has values ##S##, ##V##, and ##N##.Then, ##v/v_0 \neq V/V_0##.

But maybe in the second edition, Callen is defining ##v_0## as ##V_0/N## instead of ##V_0/N_0##. Then ##v/v_0## would equal ##V/V_0##. That seems to me to be equivalent to assuming that the fiducial state has the same number of moles ##N## as the state of interest. But then I don't see why Callen bothers to use the notation ##N_0## at all.

Anyway, maybe I'm misinterpreting some of the notation.

EE18 said:
I agree with your derivation, thank you! I am extremely confused in where I have erred in my derivation. If you see any slips I would greatly appreciate it, but I'll roll with this at any rate :)
If ##N_0## for the fiducial state differs from ##N## for the state of interest, then I think we need an additional term in your equation

EE18 said:

That is, $$dS_j = N_j\frac{c_{vj}}{T}dT + \left(\frac{\partial S}{\partial V}\right)_{T,N}dV + \left(\frac{\partial S}{\partial N}\right)_{T,V}dN$$ I'm not sure if this would fix things.

TSny said:

A question on this derivation for you. If we are indeed starting at some fiducial state with arbitrary ##N_0##, should not the very first term in your expression for ##S## be ##N_0s_0## rather than ##Ns_0##?

Edit: scratch that, that's wrong.

TSny said:
If ##N_0## for the fiducial state differs from ##N## for the state of interest, then I think we need an additional term in your equation
I see. Is it a correct assessment then to say that my conclusion is correct if we take the fiducial state with ##N_0 = N##? Extensively would hold in this case since ##V_0 = v_0N_0## would scale with ##N = N_0## just as ##V## would.

Last edited:
Sorry, fiducial state?

EE18 said:
I see. Is it a correct assessment then to say that my conclusion is correct if we take the fiducial state with ##N_0 = N##?
I think so. However, when dealing with a mixture of gases, the different components will generally have different mole numbers ##N_j##. Then, ##N_0## for the fiducial state cannot be chosen to equal ##N_j## for all of the components. In the first edition, Callen makes the following statement:

"It will be noted that in specifying a fiducial state for each [component] gas we have adopted the convention that ##T_0##, ##V_0##, and ##N_0## are the same for each gas. However, ##U_0## and ##S_0## vary from gas to gas and consequently carry the subscript j in the foregoing equations."

hutchphd said:
Sorry, fiducial state?
Reference state is what's meant by that I believe.

TSny said:
I think so. However, when dealing with a mixture of gases, the different components will generally have different mole numbers ##N_j##. Then, ##N_0## for the fiducial state cannot be chosen to equal ##N_j## for all of the components. In the first edition, Callen makes the following statement:

"It will be noted that in specifying a fiducial state for each [component] gas we have adopted the convention that ##T_0##, ##V_0##, and ##N_0## are the same for each gas. However, ##U_0## and ##S_0## vary from gas to gas and consequently carry the subscript j in the foregoing equations."
I've just purchased the first edition. It seems much more in depth from a glance online. It seems Callen sacrificed a great deal to include thermostatistics in the second edition!

I think the answer is yes......(truth: but thermo is my shakiest subject)

PS Just saw @TSny post.....listen to him

Likes PhDeezNutz and EE18
EE18 said:
I've just purchased the first edition. It seems much more in depth from a glance online. It seems Callen sacrificed a great deal to include thermostatistics in the second edition!
I think both editions are worth having access to. The edition that I own is the 1st edition. It was the textbook for the thermo course that I took back in 1969! For the 2nd edition, I have online access. I like both editions. The 2nd edition has more worked-out examples and some of the homework problems seem more interesting than in the 1st edition.

TSny said:
I think both editions are worth having access to. The edition that I own is the 1st edition. It was the textbook for the thermo course that I took back in 1969! For the 2nd edition, I have online access. I like both editions. The 2nd edition has more worked-out examples and some of the homework problems seem more interesting than in the 1st edition.
Amazing, it seems like it has stood the test of time :)

Thank you as always for your help! It has been invaluable to me as I work through Callen.

Likes berkeman

1. Is Callen a reliable source for scientific information?

Callen is a well-respected textbook in the field of thermodynamics and has been used by scientists and engineers for decades. It is considered a reliable source of information, but as with any source, it is always important to critically evaluate the information presented.

2. Are there any known errors in Callen?

There have been some minor errors identified in Callen, but they are not significant enough to undermine the overall accuracy and reliability of the textbook. These errors are typically corrected in subsequent editions.

3. How often is Callen updated?

Callen is typically updated every few years to incorporate new research and developments in the field of thermodynamics. However, the core principles and theories presented in the textbook remain unchanged.

4. Can Callen be used as a standalone resource for learning thermodynamics?

Callen is a comprehensive textbook that covers the fundamentals of thermodynamics. It can be used as a standalone resource for learning the subject, but it is always recommended to supplement with other resources and consult with a teacher or mentor for a more well-rounded understanding.

5. Is Callen suitable for both beginners and advanced learners?

Callen is written in a clear and concise manner, making it suitable for both beginners and advanced learners. It presents the fundamental principles of thermodynamics in a way that is easy to understand for those new to the subject, but also provides in-depth explanations and mathematical derivations for more advanced readers.