Is this correct? (Final grade calculation)

• MHB
  • Thread starter ineedhelpnow
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculation
In summary, a final grade is calculated by taking the weighted average of all grades in a course, with each assignment or exam being given a specific percentage value. The ability to drop a grade or include extra credit in the calculation depends on the course's grading policy and the use of a calculator may also vary. It's best to consult with your instructor for more details.
ineedhelpnow
my instructor has everything in percentages not points. the final was 20% of the overall grade. up until the final (80% of the course) i had a 92%. and i received an 88% on the final exam. so what i did was 0.8*92=73.6 and then i did 0.2*88=17.6. i then added the two and i got 91.something. did i calculate my final grade right?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Yes, I get 91.2 as your final grade.

Yes!

1. How do I calculate my final grade?

The final grade is typically calculated by taking the weighted average of all grades received throughout the course. This means that each assignment or exam is given a specific percentage value, and the final grade is determined by multiplying each grade by its respective percentage and adding them together.

2. Can I drop my lowest grade from the final grade calculation?

This depends on the specific grading policy of your course. Some courses allow for a certain number of grades to be dropped, while others do not. It's important to check with your instructor or refer to the course syllabus for clarification.

3. Do I need to include extra credit in the final grade calculation?

Extra credit is not always included in the final grade calculation, as it is typically optional and not a requirement for the course. Again, it's best to check with your instructor for their specific policy on extra credit.

4. How can I calculate my grade if the course has a curve?

If a course is graded on a curve, the final grade is typically calculated based on the highest score in the class. For example, if the highest score in the class is 90%, then a score of 80% would be considered a B instead of a C. The specific curve used may vary, so it's important to check with your instructor for more details.

5. Can I use a calculator to determine my final grade?

This depends on the specific equations and calculations involved in your course's grading system. Some courses may allow for the use of a calculator, while others may require manual calculations. It's best to check with your instructor for their specific requirements.