Is this point of contact an inertial frame?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of inertial and non-inertial frames of reference in relation to a disc being pulled by a constant force and performing pure rolling. The acceleration and velocity of a point on the disc, specifically point A, is also mentioned. The conclusion is that point A is not an inertial frame, but rather a non-inertial frame.
Taufik
Consider a disc being pulled by a constant force F and it is performing pure rolling. Now, the disc has a certain acceleration, point A has a acceleration in right direction and another centripetal acceleration in vertically upward direction but it has zero instantaneous velocity because of pure rolling. If I consider my frame of reference as point A, then it should be a non-inertial frame since it has acceleration but my physics teacher said that it is an inertial frame.
So, is point A an inertial or a non inertial frame?
Image1506122223.314666.jpg

If it a non inertial frame of reference, then what would be the torque equation in that frame about point A? Is the torque equation that I have written correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
An inertial frame is a set of coordinates in which Newton's laws hold. There is no such thing as "a point being an inertial frame". For example, I can place the origin of a reference frame at the center of the disc. If the directions of the coordinate axes are fixed, that reference frame would be inertial, but if it rotates with the wheel, it would be a non-inertial frame.

Your teacher is likely referring to the frame where the origin is placed at the point of contact (not moving around the disc's perimeter), which would just be a translation away from the reference frame described by placing the origin at the center of mass and using fixed coordinate axes.

Taufik said:
point A has a acceleration in right direction
No it doesn't. Considering the inertial frame with its origin in the disc's center, it is fairly obvious that the acceleration of point A is only in the upwards direction. Acceleration is invariant under changes of inertial frame.

Taufik said:
Consider a disc being pulled by a constant force F and it is performing pure rolling. Now, the disc has a certain acceleration, point A has a acceleration in right direction and another centripetal acceleration in vertically upward direction but it has zero instantaneous velocity because of pure rolling. If I consider my frame of reference as point A, then it should be a non-inertial frame since it has acceleration but my physics teacher said that it is an inertial frame.
So, is point A an inertial or a non inertial frame?
Point A is undergoing acceleration even when it is in contact with the ground. Its motion in any arbitrarily small neighbourhood of the point of contact is not uniform.

AM

1. What is an inertial frame?

An inertial frame is a reference frame in which Newton's laws of motion hold true. This means that an object at rest will remain at rest, and an object in motion will remain in motion at a constant velocity, unless acted upon by an external force.

2. Why is it important to determine if a point of contact is an inertial frame?

Determining if a point of contact is an inertial frame allows us to accurately describe and predict the motion of objects in that frame. It is especially important in scientific experiments and calculations.

3. How can you determine if a point of contact is an inertial frame?

A point of contact can be considered an inertial frame if there are no external forces acting on the objects within that frame. This can be achieved by eliminating any external factors such as friction or air resistance.

4. Can a point of contact be both an inertial and non-inertial frame?

No, a point of contact can only be either an inertial or non-inertial frame. If there are external forces acting on the objects within the frame, it is considered a non-inertial frame.

5. What are some examples of inertial frames?

Some examples of inertial frames include a train moving at a constant velocity, a satellite orbiting Earth, and a person standing on a stationary platform.