Isotope fractionation with condensation

In summary, there is confusion about the concept of isotopic separation during condensation. One source suggests that heavier isotopes condense first as temperature decreases, while another source explains that lighter isotopes may actually condense first due to their higher velocities and increased surface collisions. The question remains whether heavy or light isotopes will condense first in different situations. Additionally, it is unclear why fayalite evaporates faster than forsterite in an olivine solid solution.
Puchinita5

Homework Statement

I'm really confused about this concept. I know that when you evaporate a liquid, heavier isotopes stay behind because it's easier to evaporate lighter isotopes. This is intuitive to me.

I'm confused on the case of condensation because I'm reading two things that seem to contradict each other. In one source, "heavier isotopes of oxygen are selectively precipitated from an air mass as temperature decreases." This seems to be intuitive to me in the same way as evaporation. As temperature decreases, heavier isotopes would condense first.

However, in another source I'm reading, "partial condensation can produce isotopically light condensates" ... I asked my professor about this, and he says that this is because lighter elements are moving faster, so they hit surfaces more often than heavier, so they condense first. It's still intuitive to me to think that heavy isotopes have lower energy so they are just easier to slow down into the condensed state.

Am I missing something? Is there certain situations where heavy things condense first and others where lighter things condense first?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
And in relation to this topic, why is it that fayalite (iron rich silicate) evaporates faster than forsterite (magnesium rich silicate) from an olivine solid solution?

1. What is isotope fractionation with condensation?

Isotope fractionation with condensation is a process that occurs during the formation of clouds or precipitation, where heavier isotopes of a particular element are selectively removed from the vapor phase and incorporated into the condensed phase. This results in a difference in the isotopic composition between the vapor and condensed phases.

2. How does isotope fractionation with condensation occur?

Isotope fractionation with condensation occurs through the process of kinetic isotope effect, where molecules with heavier isotopes have a slower rate of evaporation and preferentially condense into the condensed phase. This can be influenced by factors such as temperature, humidity, and atmospheric mixing.

3. What are the applications of isotope fractionation with condensation?

Isotope fractionation with condensation has a wide range of applications in various fields such as atmospheric science, paleoclimatology, and geochemistry. It can be used to study past climate conditions, track water sources, and understand chemical reactions in the atmosphere.

4. How is isotope fractionation with condensation measured?

Isotope fractionation with condensation is typically measured using stable isotope analysis, where the ratio of heavy to light isotopes is quantified. This can be done through techniques such as mass spectrometry, which can accurately measure the differences in isotope ratios between the vapor and condensed phases.

5. What factors can affect the degree of isotope fractionation with condensation?

The degree of isotope fractionation with condensation can be influenced by various factors such as temperature, humidity, and the source of the vapor. Different isotopic systems also have different degrees of fractionation, with some elements exhibiting a larger range of fractionation than others.