It is a simple Delta G naught reaction problem

In summary, an attempt was made to calculate Delta G for the reaction: Fe3+ + 2I- <--> Fe2+ + I2. Delta G was found to be 46.32 kJ.
Deudoronomy

Homework Statement

Calculate Delta G naught rxn and K for the reaction:

2 Fe 3+ +2I- <--> 2 Fe 2+ +I2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I came up with -.24 V for E naught and plugged it into ( -2*96.5*-.24) and got Delta G as 46.32 KJ but I don't know if this is right and I'm not sure if it is delta G naught rather than just delta G.

Then from that answer ( if it is right ) I put Delta G into ( Keq = e^-delta G naught/ RT) and got 8*10^-9

Please let me know if I am doing this right. It is due Monday and I need to make sure I am doing it right for final exam on Tuesday. Thank You

Physics news on Phys.org
Try asking this in the chemistry section ... I don't have any tables (and you ignore units except for 46 kJ, which should be kJ/mole)
... it's been a long time, but 46 kJ/mol sounds suspiciuosly high for an iron 2 - iron 3 reaction. what the heck is 2*96.5 ?

lightgrav said:
Try asking this in the chemistry section ... I don't have any tables (and you ignore units except for 46 kJ, which should be kJ/mole)
... it's been a long time, but 46 kJ/mol sounds suspiciuosly high for an iron 2 - iron 3 reaction. what the heck is 2*96.5 ?
-2*96.5*-.46 is nFE Moles of electrons *Faraday's constant * E rxn and I am prett sure Volts and Moles cancel leaving
KJ.
The Answer however does sound high to me as well though.

Is there a way to move this to chemistry thread ( I am new to this),
or should I just go there and start new?

(Mentor Note: Moved)

Last edited by a moderator:
ok, a Faraday is a mole of electrons, with charge 6E23e/mol*1.6E-19C/e = 96 kC/mol
... Energy = charge * voltage = 2e/molecule * 96 kC/mol *0.24V = 46 kJ/mole.
the R is 8.3 J/mole*Kelvin, or =0.0083 kJ/mol*K ... so the moles cancel in the exponent, as they should.
I get 9.5E-9 at 300 Kelvin, meaning that the "weak" ¼ volt drives the reaction essentially to completion
(equilibrium is Temperature-dependent, but would not approach 50/50 until 5,500 Kelvin).

I don't know how to move a thread, either. sorry ; best I can do.

From my CRC Handbook:
DeltaG0 in kcal/gmol:

Fe3+... -2.52

Fe2+... -20.3

I-..... -12.35

I2..... 4.63

Using these, I did not get your answer.

Last edited:
lightgrav said:
I get 9.5E-9 at 300 Kelvin, meaning that the "weak" ¼ volt drives the reaction essentially to completion
Do you mean completion to the right in the reaction as stated? With Keq = 9.5E-9?

State the reaction conditions.
lightgrav said:
46 kJ/mol sounds suspiciuosly high
Deudoronomy said:
sound high to me as well though
Do NOT use intuition.
Deudoronomy said:
Delta G naught rxn and K
Reread the problem statement as frequently as is necessary to avoid sidetracking yourselves.

What is a Delta G naught reaction problem?

A Delta G naught reaction problem is a type of thermodynamics problem that involves calculating the standard change in Gibbs free energy for a chemical reaction under standard conditions. It is used to determine the spontaneity and direction of a reaction.

How do you calculate Delta G naught for a reaction?

To calculate Delta G naught, you need to know the standard free energy of formation for each reactant and product in the reaction. The equation for Delta G naught is ΔG° = ΣΔG°f(products) - ΣΔG°f(reactants). This formula takes into account the change in Gibbs free energy for the entire reaction.

What do positive and negative values of Delta G naught indicate?

A positive value of Delta G naught indicates that the reaction is non-spontaneous and will not occur in the forward direction under standard conditions. A negative value indicates that the reaction is spontaneous and will proceed in the forward direction under standard conditions.

Can Delta G naught be used to predict the rate of a reaction?

No, Delta G naught does not provide any information about the rate of a reaction. It only indicates the spontaneity and direction of a reaction under standard conditions. Factors such as temperature, concentration, and catalysts affect the rate of a reaction.

What are the limitations of using Delta G naught in thermodynamics?

Delta G naught is only applicable to reactions under standard conditions, which may not accurately represent real-world conditions. It also does not take into account the activation energy of a reaction, which is important in determining the rate of a reaction. Additionally, it assumes that the reaction is at equilibrium, which may not always be the case.