Jacobi identity in local coordinates?

In summary, the Jacobi identity for the Poisson bracket can be expressed in local coordinates as \sum_{\text{cyclic}}\pi^{i\nu}\partial_{\nu}\pi^{jk}=0, where the sum is over all cyclic permutations of the i, j, k indices. This is equivalent to \sum_{\text{cyclic}}\{x^i,\{x^j,x^k\}\}, which leads to the general Jacobi identity. This is defined as \{f,g\}:=\pi(df,dg) = \sum\pi^{ij}\partial_if \partial_j g.
quasar987
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Jacobi identity in local coordinates?!?

Apparently (i.e. according to an article written by physicists), the Jacobi identity for the Poisson bracket associated to a Poisson bivector [itex]\pi = \sum\pi^{ij}\partial_i\wedge\partial_j[/itex] is equivalent to [itex]\sum_{\text{cyclic}}\pi^{i\nu}\partial_{\nu}\pi^{jk}=0[/itex] the sum is over all cyclic permutation of the i,j,k indices and the summation convention is used on the nu index. It is easy to see that this identity is equivalent to [itex]\sum_{\text{cyclic}}\{x^i,\{x^j,x^k\}\}[/itex] but why does this imply the general Jacobi identity?!?

Physics news on Phys.org
Recall (or learn) that by definition, [itex]\{f,g\}:=\pi(df,dg) = \sum\pi^{ij}\partial_if \partial_j g[/itex].

1. What is the Jacobi identity in local coordinates?

The Jacobi identity in local coordinates is a mathematical principle that describes the relationship between three operators or functions. It states that the sum of the cyclic permutations of the three operators or functions should be equal to zero.

2. Why is the Jacobi identity important in mathematics?

The Jacobi identity is important in mathematics because it is a fundamental property of many mathematical structures, such as Lie algebras and Poisson algebras. It also helps to ensure the consistency and validity of mathematical equations.

3. How is the Jacobi identity used in physics?

In physics, the Jacobi identity is used to describe the behavior of physical systems and to derive equations of motion. It is also an essential tool in the study of symmetries and conservation laws in physics.

4. What are some real-world applications of the Jacobi identity?

The Jacobi identity has various applications in fields such as mechanics, quantum mechanics, and differential geometry. It is used to study the stability of mechanical systems, the quantization of physical systems, and the curvature of surfaces, among others.

5. Can the Jacobi identity be generalized to higher dimensions?

Yes, the Jacobi identity can be generalized to higher dimensions, such as four-dimensional space-time in physics. In this case, the Jacobi identity becomes the Jacobi equation, which describes the curvature of the space-time manifold.