Jae 's question at Yahoo Answers (Intersection of subspaces)

• MHB
  • Thread starter Fernando Revilla
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Subspaces
In summary, the question was about finding the intersection of two subspaces, P1 and P2, given by certain vectors. The output provided a matrix representing the four vectors and showed that the dimension of P1+P2 is 2, which implies the dimension of their intersection is also 2. It was also shown that P1∩P2=P1, so a basis for the intersection was found to be B={(1,2,2),(0,1,1)}.
Fernando Revilla
Gold Member
MHB
Here is the question:

P1 = span( (1,2,2) , (0,1,1) )
P2 = span( (2,1,1) , (1,0,0) )

What I currently did:

a[1 2 2] + b[0 1 1] - c[2 1 1] - d[1 0 0] = 0
[1 0 -2 -1
2 1 -1 0
2 1 -1 0]

From this matrix, I get a = 2c + d and b = -3c -2d

I'm not sure where I go from here. I know you have to chug a,b,c,d back in but not sure on how that works.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

Here is a link to the question:

Intersection of subspaces P1 and P2? - Yahoo! Answers

I have posted a link there to this topic so the OP can find my response.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hello Jae,

Those four vectors span $P_1+P_2$. Besides
$$\begin{bmatrix}1&2&2\\0&1&1\\2&1&1\\1&0&0 \end{bmatrix} \sim\ldots \sim \begin{bmatrix}1&2&2\\0&1&1\\0&0&0\\0&0&0 \end{bmatrix}$$ This means that $\dim (P_1+P_2)=2$ which implies $$\dim (P_1\cap P_2)=\dim P_1+\dim P_2-\dim (P_1+P_2)=2+2-2=2$$
But $P_1\cap P_2\subset P_1$ (this happens in general) and $\dim (P_1\cap P_2)=\dim P_2$ (in this case), hence $P_1\cap P_2=P_1$, so $B=\{(1,2,2),(0,1,1)\}$ (for example) is a basis of $P_1\cap P_2$.

P.D. The question has just been deleted, so I need to cry at least one minute.

Last edited:

Related to Jae 's question at Yahoo Answers (Intersection of subspaces)

1. What is the intersection of subspaces?

The intersection of subspaces is the set of all elements that are common to two or more subspaces. In other words, it is the set of all vectors that belong to both subspaces.

2. How can the intersection of subspaces be calculated?

The intersection of subspaces can be calculated by finding the basis of each subspace and then finding the vectors that are present in both bases. These vectors make up the basis for the intersection of subspaces.

3. What is the significance of the intersection of subspaces?

The intersection of subspaces is significant as it helps in understanding the relationships between different subspaces and can aid in solving problems related to linear algebra and vector spaces.

4. Can the intersection of subspaces be empty?

Yes, the intersection of subspaces can be empty if the subspaces do not have any common elements. This means that the subspaces are linearly independent and do not share any vectors.

5. How is the intersection of subspaces related to linear independence?

The intersection of subspaces is related to linear independence as it can help determine if a set of vectors is linearly independent. If the intersection of subspaces is empty, then the vectors are linearly independent. If the intersection is not empty, then the vectors are linearly dependent.