Jansky for blackbody radiation

In summary, the speaker is seeking assistance with converting the y-axis on a plot of mJy vs frequency in order to fit a blackbody plot. They are working with a professor on this project but are not able to speak with them for a few more days. This is not for a school assignment.
Silviu
Hi! I hope this is the right place for this question. I have a plot of mJy vs frequency and I want to fit a blackbody plot to it. I just don't know how to convert the y-axis correctly to use the formula for the fit. Any help is appreciated.

Science news on Phys.org
Silviu said:
Hi! I hope this is the right place for this question. I have a plot of mJy vs frequency and I want to fit a blackbody plot to it. I just don't know how to convert the y-axis correctly to use the formula for the fit. Any help is appreciated.
Can you provide more information and show your data? Is this for schoolwork?

So I need to fit a blackbody to any set of 4 points. I am working with a professor on this (but he is not available this week so I can't talk to him for a few more days) but it is not an assignment (I do it outside the school work).

Attachments

• Flux_vs_Freq.png
    Flux_vs_Freq.png
    8.7 KB · Views: 519

What is Jansky for blackbody radiation?

Jansky is a unit of measurement used in radio astronomy to quantify the strength of radio waves emitted by celestial objects. It is specifically used to measure the intensity of blackbody radiation, which is the thermal radiation emitted by an object due to its temperature.

How is Jansky calculated?

Jansky is calculated using the formula Jy = 10-26 W/m2 * Hz-1. This means that for every square meter of surface area, a blackbody emits 10-26 watts of power at each frequency measured in hertz.

Why is Jansky used for blackbody radiation instead of other units?

Jansky is used specifically for blackbody radiation because it is a unit that is independent of the distance to the object. This means that it can be used to compare the strength of radiation from different sources, regardless of their distance from Earth.

What is the relationship between Jansky and temperature?

The intensity of blackbody radiation, measured in Jansky, is directly proportional to the temperature of the object emitting the radiation. This means that as the temperature increases, the intensity of radiation also increases proportionally.

How is Jansky used in scientific research?

Jansky is used in scientific research to measure the strength of radio waves emitted by celestial objects such as stars, galaxies, and quasars. This information can then be used to study the physical properties and characteristics of these objects, providing insights into the universe and its evolution.