Japan Radioactivity Spreading to West Coast of US

In summary, there is speculation about the possibility of nuclear material from a core meltdown in Japan entering the Jet Stream and reaching the west coast of the US. However, due to the distance and dilution of the material, it is unlikely to pose a significant health hazard. The idea of needing iodine pills in the US is considered humorous by some, and the current levels of radiation in Tokyo are within normal background levels. Samples are being taken in the US to monitor for any traces of the fission products.
sadasiva
There is a lot of speculation about this. Is that really possible?

It is being proposed that after meltdown and release the nuclear material will enter the Jet Stream and be in west Coast US in a few days.

Personally I find it hard to swallow. I mean we exploded two nuclear devices over Japan in 1945 and did not experience widespread nuclear contamination in the US.. A core meltdown devastates the soil, water and local air.. for at least a few hundred miles, but by the time anything enters the Jet Stream, etc.. how powerful could it be?

I realize these are different scenarios, a nuclear blast and a core meltdown in a nuclear reactor.. (with the Atomic explosion MUCH MORE SEVERE).

So, is there any scenario whereby even if four core meltdowns occur and their radioactivity gets released, that the West Coast of US needs to worry.

Am I missing something here?

Thanks a lot

Engineering news on Phys.org
The amount released from the damaged reactors would be diluted so much on its way here that it should pose almost no health hazard. I laughed when I saw on the news that Iodine pills were selling out all along the west coast here in the US. (Of course I could be wrong, but then I'm glad i live in Louisiana instead of California.)

Drakkith said:
The amount released from the damaged reactors would be diluted so much on its way here that it should pose almost no health hazard. I laughed when I saw on the news that Iodine pills were selling out all along the west coast here in the US. (Of course I could be wrong, but then I'm glad i live in Louisiana instead of California.)

I read that too while I was eating, had to spit out my water laughing. Unfortunately, it's people like that that will be deciding public policy about reactors going forward...

mhs25 said:
I read that too while I was eating, had to spit out my water laughing. Unfortunately, it's people like that that will be deciding public policy about reactors going forward...

Yep. Nothing better than uninformed decision makers eh? Oh wait...

To put this in perspective - there is an online live geiger counter in Tokyo. Tokyo is south of the plant a ways and it is reading normal background levels of radiation still.

California is in *no* danger from this. I can't imagine what the Surgeon General is thinking.

http://www.kek.jp/quake/radmonitor/GeMonitor2-e.html

KEK (in Tsukuba, outside Tokyo) is currently detecting atmospheric 131I at 2.7×10-7 Bq/cm3.

That's absolutely tiny... I doubt it will be detectable at all on the other side of the pacific. There's absolutely no way in hell it's harmful.

It may be detectable. The nuclear engineering community at Berkeley are currently running air and rainwater samples as we speak, looking for traces of those fission products.

Last edited by a moderator:

What is the source of the radioactivity spreading to the West Coast of the US?

The source of the radioactivity is from the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant in Japan, which experienced a nuclear meltdown after a major earthquake and tsunami in 2011.

Is the radioactivity reaching dangerous levels on the West Coast of the US?

No, the levels of radioactivity reaching the West Coast of the US are very low and pose no immediate danger to human health. The US Environmental Protection Agency regularly monitors and reports on these levels to ensure public safety.

How does the radioactivity travel from Japan to the West Coast of the US?

The radioactivity is carried by ocean currents from Japan to the West Coast of the US. However, the levels of radioactivity decrease significantly during this journey due to dilution and decay.

Can the radioactivity affect the food supply on the West Coast of the US?

The levels of radioactivity in the ocean and food supply on the West Coast of the US are very low and do not pose a significant threat to human health. The US Food and Drug Administration regularly monitors and tests seafood from this region to ensure its safety for consumption.

What precautions should be taken to protect against the radioactivity?

The current levels of radioactivity on the West Coast of the US do not require any special precautions. However, individuals can take general precautions such as limiting consumption of seafood from the region and following safety guidelines for handling and disposing of potentially contaminated materials.