Jobs for a physicist in Bangladesh?

In summary: I told him so and that he should go back to school and learn something useful, like accounting or marketing. The company failed.From what you have said, it sounds like you have the talent and potential to do a great job. But you need to be realistic and not expect miracles. If you are lucky, you might find an employer who sees something in you and gives you a chance. However, more often than not, you will have to start from the bottom and work your way up.
Tamira Hassan
Hello fellows!
I was looking for a little guidance and some career advice. What job/work options are there for a physics graduate in Bangladesh other than teaching?

Physics news on Phys.org
Tamira Hassan said:
Hello fellows!
I was looking for a little guidance and some career advice. What job/work options are there for a physics graduate in Bangladesh other than teaching?
Based on your other thread, I would look for entry level positions as a technician in whatever parts of your degree that you enjoyed the most:

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/masters-application-with-a-low-gpa.955646/

Did you enjoy your electronics class(es)? How about your E&M classes? What classes did you enjoy the most? What technician jobs are available in those areas?

To the OP:

Since you are from Bangladesh, you are probably more familiar with the economic situation in your country than we are, including the rampant poverty and lack of development and investment that is characteristic of your country.

To be absolutely honest, you are in a serious disadvantage in terms of both your poor grades and opportunities available for physics-related positions in Bangladesh (assuming there are any).

Furthermore, if I assume that "Tamira Hassan" (your PF handle name) is your actual name, then I assume you are a woman (Tamira I believe is Muslim woman's name). If so, then I'm sure you are aware of the sexism that is prevalent within your country as well in terms of employment.

I would need to ask you some further questions before I can give you any career-related advice:

(1) Have you looked at why your GPA was so low? Did you have difficulty with the academic material in physics?

(2) What is the possibility for you to pursue a second undergraduate degree in Bangladesh in a different field?

If #2 is possible for you, I would suggest that you take that instead, in a field other than physics, and seek to earn a high GPA.

Likes berkeman
StatGuy2000 said:
To the OP:

Since you are from Bangladesh, you are probably more familiar with the economic situation in your country than we are, including the rampant poverty and lack of development and investment that is characteristic of your country.

To be absolutely honest, you are in a serious disadvantage in terms of both your poor grades and opportunities available for physics-related positions in Bangladesh (assuming there are any).

Furthermore, if I assume that "Tamira Hassan" (your PF handle name) is your actual name, then I assume you are a woman (Tamira I believe is Muslim woman's name). If so, then I'm sure you are aware of the sexism that is prevalent within your country as well in terms of employment.

I would need to ask you some further questions before I can give you any career-related advice:

(1) Have you looked at why your GPA was so low? Did you have difficulty with the academic material in physics?

(2) What is the possibility for you to pursue a second undergraduate degree in Bangladesh in a different field?

If #2 is possible for you, I would suggest that you take that instead, in a field other than physics, and seek to earn a high GPA.
I thought you were supposed to help people instead of putting them down.

Tamira Hassan said:
I thought you were supposed to help people instead of putting them down.
It's not a put-down at all. We are just being honest with you.

Likes StatGuy2000
Please view our responses as constructive criticism. That can be very valuable at critical times in your life. :smile:

Likes StatGuy2000 and jedishrfu
You are very new to PF. When you ask for advice, we try to give the best that we can with what we know of your general situation. Sometimes, our advice may sound harsh but it’s just that we want you to be grounded with the truth at least as we understand it from current events and how cultures work in different parts of the world.

When we are young we often have idealized notions of how the world works. We look at jobs and think I can do that if only they’d hire me. However, companies only hire people that they think can do the job and they decide this based on what you’ve done previously. Once in a lifetime, you might find an employer with a special sense who hires you because they see something in you. But more often than not they can’t find a qualified person so they decide hire someone who isn’t fully qualified and train them on the job.

I once knew a student who believed he was a skilled programmer. I was his advisor in Explorer Scouts. It was in early days of PC computing and opportunity was everywhere. He started his own company, got equipment and a contract and asked me to join it. However, I could see that he was more preoccupied with the trappings of the business ie the new computers, the office an assistant... but didn’t know how to drive the business forward, didn’t have the skill to design the software well enough and it failed after a year or so. I couldn’t help because he didn’t listen well and if I spoke more pragmatically he would have refused to believe it. We must always be grounded in reality so we can see things as they are and can then figure how to anticipate and navigate the tough spots.

Sorry for the long winded diatribe. This doesn’t mean you can’t succeed but you must find a path to your goal given your circumstances. We may be able to help as you run into roadblocks but ultimately it’s up to you to get there.

Jedi

PS it may be that teaching is the first step to give you some experience and improve your physics skills. From there keep looking for other types of jobs.

Likes berkeman and StatGuy2000
Thread is now re-opened. Thanks for your patience. :smile:

What kind of job opportunities are available for physicists in Bangladesh?

There are various job opportunities available for physicists in Bangladesh, including research positions in government and private institutions, teaching positions at universities and colleges, and employment in industries such as energy, telecommunications, and healthcare.

What qualifications are typically required for jobs in physics in Bangladesh?

Most jobs for physicists in Bangladesh will require a minimum of a bachelor's degree in physics or a related field. Some positions, particularly in research and academia, may require a master's or doctoral degree.

What is the salary range for physicists in Bangladesh?

The salary range for physicists in Bangladesh can vary depending on the specific job and employer. On average, however, the salary for a physicist in Bangladesh can range from 50,000 to 150,000 Bangladeshi taka per month.

Are there any specific industries or companies that frequently hire physicists in Bangladesh?

Physicists in Bangladesh can find job opportunities in a variety of industries, including government agencies, universities, research institutions, and private companies in fields such as energy, telecommunications, and healthcare. Some specific companies that may hire physicists in Bangladesh include Grameenphone, Bangladesh Atomic Energy Commission, and Bangladesh Council of Scientific and Industrial Research.

Are there any professional organizations or networking opportunities for physicists in Bangladesh?

Yes, there are several professional organizations and networking opportunities for physicists in Bangladesh, including the Bangladesh Physical Society and the Bangladesh Association of Scientists and Scientific Professions. These organizations offer networking events, conferences, and workshops for physicists to connect with each other and stay updated on the latest developments in the field.