Joining. What are the rules?

• Thread starter Guy_Rene_emancipee
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Metaphysics
In summary: That includes amateurs.Here, "amateur" means someone who is not professionally engaged in science. For example, a high school student who is doing physics as an extracurricular activity would be considered an amateur.Welcome to PF.
Guy_Rene_emancipee
Hello.
I am Guy René Bongers from Belgium.
I joined in principle - here meaning to begin with - to post a metaphysical comparison related to quantum physics and non physical areas.

It got refused by one censorer.

So what are the rules, criteria for censorship. ?

Is there here room for metaphysics ?

There are different opinions, beliefs conclusion, ideas, thesis, theory regarding physics.
Can they be explored here or can only the established be uncontested here ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Guy_Rene_emancipee said:

There are different opinions, beliefs conclusion, ideas, thesis, theory regarding physics.
Can they be explored here or can only the established be uncontested here ?
From our mission statement:
PF Mission Statement said:
Our mission is to provide a place for people (whether students, professional scientists, or others interested in science) to learn and discuss science as it is currently generally understood and practiced by the professional scientific community.
So, there is no room for metaphysics here, unfortunately. Furthermore, we are happy to discuss theories in physics rather than theories "regarding" physics.

Likes russ_watters and topsquark
Welcome to PF.

Guy_Rene_emancipee said:
So what are the rules, criteria for censorship. ?
You agreed to the PF Rules when you joined here. See "INFO" at the top of the page.

Likes chwala, russ_watters and Vanadium 50
Lets reply with the easy stuff first.

Thank you for replying to this post.

That is the easiest.

The rest is harder, for my first thought is ramblings and such.

I am going through reading the https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/physics-forums-global-guidelines.414380/
Some thoughts come to mind in response to that.

But they have been discussed before by others maybe and from reading a few post here I get the impression that previous topics are not open for re-discussion. It is very human not to want to keep discussing the same thing over and over again.

Not wanting to re-discuss is also true on the stack exchange network. There it is re-asked not discussed.

That leaves the forum with new questions with-in mainstream science but are not mainstream topics. Because those have already been discussed and are closed as for new replies.
Or they are never discussed except as chit-chat because they are known and old.

This does not cover the homework section.

• Sad
  • Skeptical
Likes PeroK and Wrichik Basu
Guy_Rene_emancipee said:
That leaves the forum with new questions with-in mainstream science but are not mainstream topics. Because those have already been discussed and are closed as for new replies.
How can something be within mainstream science but not be a mainstream topic?

Likes russ_watters and Vanadium 50
Guy_Rene_emancipee said:
But they have been discussed before by others maybe and from reading a few post here I get the impression that previous topics are not open for re-discussion.
If you are referring to locked threads that are many years old, you can re-discuss them subject to the current guidelines. For example, if you are reading an old thread that is discussing something which is currently prohibited, then you cannot start a thread to discuss that again. It's always good to have a word with a Mentor before starting a thread based on another locked thread.

Last edited:
Likes topsquark and berkeman
A mainstream topic is something you learn in school.
It is also some thing the general public deals with, talk about in general.
Stuff like that
- A mainstream topic for doctors is not a mainstream topic for all people.
- Quantum physics is not mainstream physics for the general population but it is for quantum physicists .

What is not a mainstream topic are either
- old topics
- cutting edge new topic
- rare topics
- boring topics
- doctorate level science unless most participants are doctors.

Example :
The study of shrimp is not a mainstream discussion for the general population but for marine biologists it is a lot more mainstream. Not being a biologist and therefor evenless a marine biologist I do not know how much it is a mainstream topic amongst marine biologists.

Interesting interpretations. Here at PF, the term "mainstream" means published in the professional peer-reviewed literature or part of professional textbooks. The list of acceptable peer-reviewed journals is linked to in the PF Rules.

Likes pinball1970, russ_watters, dextercioby and 4 others
from : https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/physics-forums-global-guidelines.414380/
Mission Statement:

Our mission is to provide a place for people (whether students, professional scientists, or others interested in science) to learn and discuss science as it is currently generally understood and practiced by the professional scientific community. As our name suggests, our main focus is on physics, but we also have forums for most other academic areas including engineering, chemistry, biology, social sciences, etc.
That includes amateurs.

but following this quote and the link it originally contained
Speculative or Personal Theories:
Physics Forums is not intended as an alternative to the usual professional venues for discussion and review of new ideas, e.g. personal contacts, conferences, and peer review before publication. If you have a new theory or idea, this is not the place to look for feedback on it or help in developing it.

For further explanation of our policy on personal theories and speculative posts, and the history behind it, see the following entry in the Physics Forums FAQ:
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/physics-forums-faq-and-howto.617567/#post-4664231

That research led me to understand your site.

You are not as interesting as I assumed. You used to be as interesting as I assumed.

It is my understanding from reading the FAQ that the site with regards to learning is only good for students and their homework in the homework section. But it is my understanding that outside of the homework section learning is frowned upon both for amateur, students and academics.

That means I suspect that the only posters outside the homework section you end up with are professionals in the mainstream - not cutting edge - area of their profession.

You could not tolerate anything else.

Further reading of the FAQ conforms my suspicion.

I feel sorry for you.

• Sad
  • Skeptical
Likes weirdoguy and PeroK
Guy_Rene_emancipee said:
It is my understanding from reading the FAQ that site with regards to learning is only good for students and their homework in the homework section. But it is my understanding that outside of the homework section learning is frowned upon both for amateur, students and academics.
Your interpretation there is quite wrong. PF is a great place to learn about real science. That means that we don't tolerate personal speculation, etc., but that only makes it easier to learn the real science. I know I've learned a huge amount over the years here.

Likes russ_watters, Vanadium 50 and topsquark
berkeman said:
Your interpretation there is quite wrong. PF is a great place to learn about real science. That means that we don't tolerate personal speculation, etc., but that only makes it easier to learn the real science. I know I've learned a huge amount over the years here.
What level of knowledge did you start with ?

Guy_Rene_emancipee said:
But it is my understanding that outside of the homework section learning is frowned upon both for amateur, students and academics.

That means I suspect that the only posters you end up with are professionals in the mainstream - not cutting edge - area of their profession.
"I don't understand this: ..." / "What is this theory actually saying?" and similar questions ##\not\equiv## "I have a personal theory which hasn't yet been published in any peer reviewed journal; I want to explain why it is correct."

Edit: Get your cutting-edge theories published in a peer-reviewed journal, and then we would be happy to explain the same to people who don't understand it. The discussion of "Why my theory is wrong?" should be done with the reviewers who reject your paper.

Likes topsquark
Guy_Rene_emancipee said:
from : https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/physics-forums-global-guidelines.414380/

That includes amateurs.

but following this quote and the link it originally contained

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/physics-forums-faq-and-howto.617567/#post-4664231

That research led me to understand your site.

You are not as interesting as I assumed. You used to be as interesting as I assumed.

It is my understanding from reading the FAQ that the site with regards to learning is only good for students and their homework in the homework section. But it is my understanding that outside of the homework section learning is frowned upon both for amateur, students and academics.

That means I suspect that the only posters outside the homework section you end up with are professionals in the mainstream - not cutting edge - area of their profession.

You could not tolerate anything else.

Further reading of the FAQ conforms my suspicion.

I feel sorry for you.
I think you are misunderstanding the basic purpose of this site. It was said before but I'll paraphrase it. We are here to help members learn "Standard Physics." That is to say, if you are in a class, we specialize in helping you with the stuff you will be learning. We aren't saying that other topics aren't important... this just makes it easier for the members to find the information they are looking for without having to weed through speculation.

For Metaphysics you need to go elsewhere.

-Dan

Likes pinball1970, russ_watters and Wrichik Basu
Wrichik Basu said:
"I don't understand this: ..." / "What is this theory actually saying?" and similar questions ##\not\equiv## "I have a personal theory which hasn't yet been published in any peer reviewed journal; I want to explain why it is correct."

Get your cutting-edge theories published in a peer-reviewed journal, and then we would be happy to explain the same to people who don't understand it. The discussion of "Why my theory is wrong?" should be done with the reviewers who reject your paper.
Hello.
This post is not about a theory.
I am new to this site.

This post is about what I learned about the nature of this site.

Guy_Rene_emancipee said:
You couldn't be more wrong. Perhaps you should spend some time browsing the site so you can see for yourself.

Guy_Rene_emancipee said:
Nothing wrong with "cutting edge" as long as it's published in respected, peer-reviewed journals.

Likes Vanadium 50, pinball1970 and russ_watters
Guy_Rene_emancipee said:
Hello.
This post is not about a theory.
I am new to this site.

This post is about what I learned about the nature of this site.
But the thread started because your thread on metaphysics was deleted by the mentors, isn't it? Coming back to the point raised in the OP, we don't deal in philosophy. Regarding your views about the nature of the site: Correct, we don't discuss cutting-edge physics that has not been published in any peer-reviewed journal. Once you get it published in a journal that is not predatory and has a proper peer-review process, you can surely come back here and explain what the theory says. In fact, at that time, you can probably even write an Insight article explaining the theory to beginners in less-mathematical language.

Likes pinball1970 and berkeman
Thank you for your replies.

Likes berkeman
Guy_Rene_emancipee said:
What level of knowledge did you start with ?
MSEE, which includes a couple years of undergraduate physics classes. You can read my Mentor Biography by clicking on my Avatar to visit my Profile Page.

I've learned a bit more in EE here, lots more in ME and similar here, and a huge amount more intermediate Physics. I enjoy reading the more advanced Physics threads here as well, but they are well over my head currently. :smile:

Likes pinball1970 and Wrichik Basu
Wrichik Basu said:
But the thread started because your thread on metaphysics was deleted by the mentors, isn't it? Coming back to the point raised in the OP, we don't deal in philosophy. Regarding your views about the nature of the site: Correct, we don't discuss cutting-edge physics that has not been published in any peer-reviewed journal. Once you get it published in a journal that is not predatory and has a proper peer-review process, you can surely come back here and explain what the theory says. In fact, at that time, you can probably even write an Insight article explaining the theory to beginners in less-mathematical language.
I did not know you where referring to my first post.

berkeman said:
MSEE, which includes a couple years of undergraduate physics classes. You can read my Mentor Biography by clicking on my Avatar to visit my Profile Page.

I've learned a bit more in EE here, lots more in ME and similar here, and a huge amount more intermediate Physics. I enjoy reading the more advanced Physics threads here as well, but they are well over my head currently. :smile:
congratulations on learning.

Likes berkeman
Doc Al said:
You couldn't be more wrong. Perhaps you should spend some time browsing the site so you can see for yourself.Nothing wrong with "cutting edge" as long as it's published in respected, peer-reviewed journals.
The replies so far confirm my understanding

Guy_Rene_emancipee said:
Cutting edge topics are welcome as long as they are based on an acceptable peer-reviewed paper - and because peer-reviewed publication is how new cutting edge ideas are are disseminated and evaluated anything that doesn’t meet that bar is going to be nonsense masquerading as new ideas, not serious work at the cutting edge.
Beyond the Standard Model and the two Quantum Mechanics sections are often good places to look for new work.

Likes berkeman, Wrichik Basu and Ibix
Guy_Rene_emancipee said:
The replies so far confirm my understanding
I am following your suggestion to browse the site.

You are right.

My previous understanding was wrong.
I am happy I learned.

Likes pinball1970, Wrichik Basu, Tom.G and 2 others
Guy_Rene_emancipee

The site is mostly for critical discussions, especially focused on Physics, Mathematics, Engineering, Computer Technology/Science, and other Natural Sciences, including medical topics.

One may on occasions bring-up a slightly deviant topic or question, but best IF you explain or describe from your own experiences, look for an find some online article or online presentation, so that some member could at least give intelligent criticism (in case you may have too much trouble looking for a high quality publication or journal article).

Topics types to be very careful about: Religion, God, Parapsychology, any kind of pseudoscience, unproven or discredited theories

Topics to stay away from: Philosophy, conspiracy theories, Metaphysics, (and probably "God" should be included here although I judged maybe "if careful about")

Likes pinball1970 and topsquark
symbolipoint said:
Topics types to be very careful about: Religion, God, Parapsychology, any kind of pseudoscience, unproven or discredited theories

Topics to stay away from: Philosophy, conspiracy theories, Metaphysics, (and probably "God" should be included here although I judged maybe "if careful about")
All the topics under "very careful" should be under "stay away from".

Likes pinball1970, phinds and topsquark
Wrichik Basu said:
All the topics under "very careful" should be under "stay away from".
I put some of those in "be very careful about", because some posting members may have some well studied knowledge in those areas and some precise discussion could occur. Some connections are found in scholarly work between religious writings and history, archeology, and maybe languages developments. You cannot prohibit all of it. Some (few?) scholars look for truths between archeology & History and Religion/old religious communities. Not sure if any critical measurements relating to Parapsychology but I am guessing that some people have tried and again not sure about any successes. "Intelligence Quotient", these days mostly discredited. Possibility of too many cultural and environmental effects.

Sometimes intelligent members need to be given the opportunity to try.

• Skeptical
Likes topsquark
symbolipoint said:
Not sure if any critical measurements relating to Parapsychology but I am guessing that some people have tried and again not sure about any successes.
Actually parapsychology is subject to regular scientific attempts (usually a big rush in every few decades) and there are some permanent faculties at university level (a few member, usually) too, but no (positive) results.

So I guess in theory it could be a topic... It's just the usual mentions are NOT about the scientific part, so :lock: comes fast.

Guy_Rene_emancipee said:
Usually some metaphysics: strictly constructive/supportive to a scientific topic/question is not locked immediately, but metaphysics for the sake of metaphysics won't last long.

Last edited:
Likes topsquark
Rive said:
Actually parapsychology is subject to regular scientific attempts (usually a big rush in every few decades) and there are some permanent faculties at university level (a few member, usually) too, but no (positive) results.
I suspect that it's just academics making fools of themselves by being outwitted by an illusionist claiming to have supernatural powers.

• Haha
Likes chwala
PeroK said:
I suspect that it's just academics making fools of themselves by being outwitted by an illusionist claiming to have supernatural powers.
Those faculties I mentioned were made to combat that, actually :smile:
There was a big surge of interest in classic parapsychology around '70s, '80s, and it was necessary to clear up the relevant statistics, develop new methods and tests for investigations, collect data and such.
They made a great, scientific job. They found nothing, as expected: but they made that big nothing a worthy reference. Now, they are kept alive mostly for educational and documentation purpose.

I don't think we need parapsychology here as it would be a really, really difficult thing to keep it focused, but in theory a scientific side exists (albeit with a solid 'nothing to see here' result).

• Informative
Likes topsquark, symbolipoint and Wrichik Basu
Rive said:
I don't think we need parapsychology here as it would be a really, really difficult thing to keep it focused,
Yes. So much so that the forum rules specifically disallow it.

Likes Rive, topsquark, Wrichik Basu and 1 other person
PeroK said:
It's people like you that make it so difficult to stare at goats. (George Clooney, if you didn't catch the reference.)

-Dan

• Haha
Likes DaveE
Nugatory said:
Yes. So much so that the forum rules specifically disallow it.
I had a premonition that you were going to say that... :wink:

Likes topsquark
topsquark said:
It's people like you that make it so difficult to stare at goats. (George Clooney, if you didn't catch the reference.)

-Dan
As I'm not psychic, I can't figure that one out.

Likes topsquark
berkeman said:
I had a premonition that you were going to say that... :wink:

Oh but! . . . your premonition is causal determinism. . . . :-p

• Love
Likes topsquark

1. What is the process for joining a scientific organization?

The process for joining a scientific organization may vary depending on the specific organization. However, it typically involves submitting an application, meeting certain criteria (such as having a relevant degree or experience), and paying any necessary fees.

2. Are there any specific qualifications or requirements for joining a scientific organization?

Yes, most scientific organizations have specific qualifications or requirements for membership. These may include having a certain level of education, experience in a particular field, or a demonstrated interest in the organization's focus.

3. Can anyone join a scientific organization?

In general, anyone who meets the qualifications and requirements set by the organization can join. However, some organizations may have restrictions based on factors such as age, location, or professional background.

4. What are the benefits of joining a scientific organization?

Joining a scientific organization can provide numerous benefits, such as networking opportunities, access to resources and information, and the ability to collaborate with other professionals in the field. It can also enhance one's credibility and visibility within the scientific community.

5. Are there any rules or expectations for members of a scientific organization?

Yes, most scientific organizations have rules and expectations for their members. These may include adhering to a code of conduct, participating in organization activities, and maintaining active membership status by paying dues or fulfilling other requirements.