Jones Vector of Linear Polarization

In summary, the conversation discusses the representation of linearly polarized light in the Jones vector form. The use of 'α' in the form refers to the angle of the E-vector to the horizontal, and the jones vector is represented by [E_x, E_y] = E_0 [cos α, sin α]. The use of 'ε' in the second image suggests an attempt to write the Jones vector for elliptically polarized light, which can be converted into the form shown. The conversation also clarifies that the cos(kz-ωt) term refers to the wave aspect, not the polarization.
iScience
Hi, I understand that the α in the form below refers to angle of E-vector to the horizontal.

wRsKBwS.png

and that a jones vector should be represented this way:

uZebSxl.png

I tried to represent the linearly polarized sin & cos form in the jones vector form

YakoHo5.png
I know I'm doing something wrong because a linearly polarized light should have no phase delays between x & y. I'm just getting my space and time domains mixed up.Thanks

Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org
Mainly the reason I am confused is because in my book it gives this form for linearly polarized light:

$$\vec{E}=(\hat{i}E_{0(x)}+\hat{j}E_{0(y)})cos(kz-\omega t)$$

the two components being cosine makes sense because 0 phase difference.

but if i write that in matrix form, shouldn't i also have two cosines, not one cosine and one sine?

If I understand your first post, you are on the right track- linearly polarized light with polarization oriented and angle 'α' from the x-axis is indeed written as you say, if you are using linear basis states. The use of 'ε' in your second image makes me wonder if you are now trying to write the Jones vector for elliptically polarized light (with ellipticity ε), which using linear basis states is:

[E_x, E_y] = [cos ε, i sin ε]

which kinda-sorta looks like it can be converted into what you showed.

As for your second post, I am guessing that E_x and E_y are the x- and y- components of E, which again result in E = [E_x, E_y] = E_0 [cos α, sin α] as before. The cos(kz-ωt) refers to the 'wave part', not the polarization, which is simply the direction of E.

Does this help?

1. What is the Jones Vector of Linear Polarization?

The Jones Vector of Linear Polarization is a mathematical representation of the polarization state of an electromagnetic wave. It is a two-dimensional vector that describes the amplitude and phase of the electric field in a particular direction.

2. How is the Jones Vector of Linear Polarization calculated?

The Jones Vector is calculated by taking the electric field vector in the x and y directions and representing them as complex numbers. These complex numbers are then combined into a two-dimensional vector, with the x component representing the amplitude and the y component representing the phase.

3. What are the applications of the Jones Vector of Linear Polarization?

The Jones Vector is commonly used in optics and telecommunications to describe the polarization state of light. It is also used in polarization-sensitive devices such as polarizers and waveplates.

4. How does the Jones Vector of Linear Polarization differ from the Stokes Vector?

The Jones Vector and the Stokes Vector are both mathematical representations of polarization, but they differ in their level of complexity. The Jones Vector is simpler and only takes into account linear polarization, while the Stokes Vector can describe any type of polarization, including circular and elliptical.

5. Can the Jones Vector of Linear Polarization be used for non-linear polarization?

No, the Jones Vector can only describe linear polarization. For non-linear polarization, other mathematical representations such as the Mueller Matrix or the Poincaré Sphere must be used.