Judging force and pressure before a practical

In summary, it is possible to find out how much pressure a person can take by calculating how much they can lift without struggling and how much they can move. There are calculators that can help estimate a person's maximum.
Physics quest
Ok, I am wondering if its possible for me to calculate how much force or pressure I can take from carrying or moving something based on what I can already move. Is it possible to predict how much pressure I can take on my hands, or how much I can potentially create?

For example (not necesserily real figuires of what I am capable of, I am just making an example);

lets say I can easily lift, let's say 50 pounds without a problem, is it possible to find out without lifting anything else, how much I could logically lift before I have to struggle? Its the same with moving say, heavy boxes or crates. I can quite easily flip over, push X amount of weight, let's say 100kg, but if I wanted to actually lift the box off the ground is it possible to find out how much effort it would take me? given the weight of the object and how I moved it before.

I assuming now there's probably no way to find out, but there must be some way of finding out how much pressure something can take before it breaks or how much strength a bridge has before its supports cannot take anymore. Physical engineering I am assume has a way of finding out how strong supports have to be, beforehand to hold up X amount of bridge and weight of vehicles.

Physics news on Phys.org
The problem is that biological systems have a lot more to them than mechanical ones. For instance your ability to lift a weight depends not only on your strength but also your technique, your fatigue and your ability to recruit type I muscle fibers or a higher number of motor units (something gained through practice). There are calculators that attempt to predict your maximum from a weight you can lift a maximum of 3, 5, 10 etc times but they are simply estimations; knowing you can lift something easily doesn't really tell you what your maximum is, I'm sure we could all lift 50 pounds with ease but our maximums will likely be widely spread.

Hm, can you point me/link me to any of those calculators? I don't need to be dead spot on but if there's any that can give me some form or estimation maybe it could help me.

Thanks.

Related to Judging force and pressure before a practical

1. What is the difference between force and pressure?

Force is a physical quantity that describes the amount of push or pull on an object, while pressure is the force applied over a specific area. In other words, force is a vector quantity while pressure is a scalar quantity.

2. How do I measure force and pressure in a practical experiment?

Force can be measured using a force meter or a spring balance, while pressure can be measured using a pressure gauge or a manometer. It is important to calibrate these instruments before use to ensure accurate measurements.

3. What are the SI units for force and pressure?

The SI unit for force is Newton (N), while the SI unit for pressure is Pascal (Pa). However, other commonly used units for force include pound-force (lbf) and kilogram-force (kgf), and for pressure include atmospheres (atm) and pounds per square inch (psi).

4. How do I calculate force and pressure?

Force can be calculated using the equation F = m x a, where m is the mass of the object and a is the acceleration. Pressure can be calculated using the equation P = F/A, where F is the force applied and A is the area over which the force is applied.

5. What are some real-life examples of force and pressure?

Examples of force include pushing a door open, kicking a ball, or pulling a cart. Examples of pressure include the weight of an object on a surface, the force of a fluid on the walls of a container, and the pressure exerted by a person's hand on a table.