Junior as Applied Math Major/CS Minor needs career guidance

In summary, the speaker is a junior at a University of California majoring in Applied Math and minoring in Computer Science. They have experience as a TA/Discussion Leader and have presented at a math conference about a successful study program. They have a 3.5 GPA and are open to various job opportunities, including teaching, research, and internships. They are also considering applying for internships at the NSA. They have questions about potential research and internships, the job market for CS-related jobs, the need for a graduate degree in math, and the value of a Masters degree. Overall, they are seeking advice and personal experiences from others.
tkhart2233
Hi all!

I am a junior at a University of California going for a major in Applied Math and a minor in Computer Science. So far I have been a TA/Discussion Leader for Calculus for a year, and I've done a presentation at a math conference for community colleges about a school-implemented study program that helps students be more successful in their math classes. I have a 3.5 GPA mostly due to my first year of not being ready for college - I've maintained a 4.0 for the last two years.

As far as what I'm interested in for prospective jobs, I'm really not sure! I loved being a TA - my grandma taught grade school and my mom's a professor so I feel like it's in my blood to teach, but I don't know how much I would love grading homework all the time, and am wondering what else I could potentially do with my degree. I'm pretty open to anything, and I plan on getting involved in some research and internships next quarter. I also was considering applying to a few internships at the NSA either this year or next, but don't know what my odds are or if I'm qualified.

I have loads of questions and am willing to hear any answers/opinions on any of them:

Are there any suggestions on types of research or internships that I should look into?
Should I focus more on looking into experience for CS-related jobs? (It seems like there's a much bigger job market for software/programming jobs, especially near the bay area.)
Am I kind of stuck with going to grad school if I want to do anything with my major? It seems that any entry-level math-related jobs require at least a Masters degree.
Is a Masters in math a waste of time? I keep hearing that if I'm going to go to grad school for an MA then I might as well just go straight for the PhD. Unless I just want to teach at a community college. But then would I bet limiting myself?
Anything else?

I know that I can get plenty of answers to these questions from career counselors, professors, TAs, research advisors, etc., from school, and I've done my own research and been on all of the math-career websites, but I wanted to see if anyone out there has any advice they could share based off of personal experience or experiences of friends/acquaintances. Thanks a ton for your time in advance! :-)

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd recommend applying for those internships. It will help you figure out what you like and what you are good at.

In the CS world, actual ability counts more than your degree. Develop a can-do track record and reputation. There are plenty of CS jobs where a BS or MS in math can be a big bonus, but only if you integrate the education into real problem solving in ways that other CS applicants can't.

1. What career options are available for someone with a degree in Applied Math and a minor in Computer Science?

As an Applied Math major and Computer Science minor, you have a wide range of career options available to you. Some common career paths include data analyst, software engineer, actuary, financial analyst, and operations research analyst. You could also pursue careers in fields such as artificial intelligence, data science, and cybersecurity.

2. How can I gain practical experience in both Applied Math and Computer Science during my studies?

One way to gain practical experience is to participate in internships or co-op programs while in college. These opportunities allow you to apply your skills and knowledge in real-world settings. You can also work on personal projects or participate in coding competitions to further develop your skills.

3. How important is networking in finding a job in the fields of Applied Math and Computer Science?

Networking is crucial in any field, including Applied Math and Computer Science. Many job openings are not publicly advertised, and having a strong network can help you learn about these opportunities. Attend career fairs, networking events, and reach out to professionals in your desired field to expand your network.

4. Is it better to pursue a graduate degree or enter the workforce after completing a degree in Applied Math and Computer Science?

The answer to this question depends on your career goals and personal preferences. A graduate degree can open up more opportunities for advanced positions and higher salaries. However, gaining work experience can also be valuable, especially if you are interested in pursuing a career in industry rather than academia.

5. How can I stand out in the job market as an Applied Math and Computer Science graduate?

To stand out in the job market, it is important to showcase your skills and accomplishments. This can include highlighting relevant coursework, projects, internships, and any other technical skills you have acquired. It may also be helpful to obtain industry certifications or participate in extracurricular activities related to your field of study.