K-algebras, endomorphisms and k-linear mappings

• MHB
  • Thread starter Math Amateur
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses verifying that any endomorphism of an A-module is a k-linear mapping, with a focus on the argument presented by Peter and a critique by Euge. The main argument involves identifying elements in the field k with elements in the algebra A and showing that the endomorphism satisfies the required properties. Euge suggests adding more detail to the argument for clarity.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading "Introduction to Ring Theory" by P. M. Cohn (Springer Undergraduate Mathematics Series)

In Chapter 2: Linear Algebras and Artinian Rings Exercise 2.1 (1) reads as follows:"Let A be a k-algebra, where k is a field.

Given an A-module M, verify that any endomorphism of M as an A-module is a k-linear mapping."

My thinking on this follows.I would very much appreciate it if someone critiques my argument … and hopefully confirms it is OK ...
Consider \(\displaystyle A\) to be a right \(\displaystyle A\)-module where the action of \(\displaystyle A\) on \(\displaystyle M\) is denoted as \(\displaystyle xa\) where \(\displaystyle a \in A\) and \(\displaystyle x \in M\)

Now an endomorphism of \(\displaystyle M\) as an \(\displaystyle A\)-module is defined as a mapping \(\displaystyle f \ : \ M \to M\) such that \(\displaystyle f\) is a homomorphism of the additive groups and further, that:

\(\displaystyle (xf)a =(xa)f\) for all \(\displaystyle x \in M, a \in A\)Now, … … if we identify any element \(\displaystyle a\) in the
field \(\displaystyle k\) with the element \(\displaystyle a.1\) in the algebra A then we can write:

\(\displaystyle (xf)a =(xa)f\) for all \(\displaystyle x \in M, a \in k\)

and so \(\displaystyle f\) is then a \(\displaystyle k\)-linear mapping.

Can someone please confirm that the argument above is valid?

Peter

Physics news on Phys.org
Peter said:
I am reading "Introduction to Ring Theory" by P. M. Cohn (Springer Undergraduate Mathematics Series)

In Chapter 2: Linear Algebras and Artinian Rings Exercise 2.1 (1) reads as follows:"Let A be a k-algebra, where k is a field.

Given an A-module M, verify that any endomorphism of M as an A-module is a k-linear mapping."

My thinking on this follows.I would very much appreciate it if someone critiques my argument … and hopefully confirms it is OK ...
Consider \(\displaystyle A\) to be a right \(\displaystyle A\)-module where the action of \(\displaystyle A\) on \(\displaystyle M\) is denoted as \(\displaystyle xa\) where \(\displaystyle a \in A\) and \(\displaystyle x \in M\)

Now an endomorphism of \(\displaystyle M\) as an \(\displaystyle A\)-module is defined as a mapping \(\displaystyle f \ : \ M \to M\) such that \(\displaystyle f\) is a homomorphism of the additive groups and further, that:

\(\displaystyle (xf)a =(xa)f\) for all \(\displaystyle x \in M, a \in A\)Now, … … if we identify any element \(\displaystyle a\) in the
field \(\displaystyle k\) with the element \(\displaystyle a.1\) in the algebra A then we can write:

\(\displaystyle (xf)a =(xa)f\) for all \(\displaystyle x \in M, a \in k\)

and so \(\displaystyle f\) is then a \(\displaystyle k\)-linear mapping.

Can someone please confirm that the argument above is valid?

Peter

I think you should put in more detail in your argument that $(xf)a = (xa)f$ for all $x\in M$ and $a\in k$. This is how I would argue the last part:

Take $x\in M$ and $a\in k$. Then

$\displaystyle (xf)a = (xf)(a\cdot 1) = (x(a\cdot 1))f = (xa)f$.

The first and third equalities follows from the distributive property and the middle equality follows from the $A$-homomorphism property of $f$.

Euge said:
I think you should put in more detail in your argument that $(xf)a = (xa)f$ for all $x\in M$ and $a\in k$. This is how I would argue the last part:

Take $x\in M$ and $a\in k$. Then

$\displaystyle (xf)a = (xf)(a\cdot 1) = (x(a\cdot 1))f = (xa)f$.

The first and third equalities follows from the distributive property and the middle equality follows from the $A$-homomorphism property of $f$.
Thanks for the critique, Euge ... Most helpful to me ...

Peter

Related to K-algebras, endomorphisms and k-linear mappings

1. What is a K-algebra?

A K-algebra is a mathematical structure that consists of a field K, which is a set of numbers with operations such as addition and multiplication, and a set A with operations such as addition, multiplication, and scalar multiplication by elements of K. K-algebras are used to study linear transformations and vector spaces over the field K.

2. What is an endomorphism?

An endomorphism is a linear transformation from a vector space to itself. In other words, it is a mapping that takes elements from the same vector space and maps them back to the same vector space. Endomorphisms are important in the study of K-algebras because they represent operations that can be performed on the elements of a K-algebra without leaving the algebra.

3. What is a K-linear mapping?

A K-linear mapping, also known as a K-linear transformation, is a mapping between two K-algebras that preserves the algebraic structure. In other words, it is a function that respects the operations of addition, multiplication, and scalar multiplication in both K-algebras. K-linear mappings are used to study the relationship between different K-algebras.

4. How are endomorphisms and K-linear mappings related?

Endomorphisms and K-linear mappings are closely related because every endomorphism is also a K-linear mapping. This means that endomorphisms preserve the algebraic structure of the underlying K-algebra, making them important tools in the study of K-algebras.

5. What are some real-world applications of K-algebras, endomorphisms, and K-linear mappings?

K-algebras, endomorphisms, and K-linear mappings have many applications in various fields of science and engineering. For example, they are used in quantum mechanics to study the algebraic structures of observables and states. In computer science, K-algebras are used in programming languages to model data types and operations. Endomorphisms and K-linear mappings are also important in the study of group theory, topology, and algebraic geometry.