Kernel of Linear Map $\theta$ in $\mathbb{F}_{q^n}$

In summary, we discussed the calculation of the dimension of the image of a linear map in a Galois extension field $\mathbb{F}_{q^n}$, as well as the relationship between the trace map and the kernel of a linear map. We also examined the concept of primitive elements and their orders, and used them to determine the elements that satisfy certain equations in the field.
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :eek:

Let $q$ be a power of a prime and $n\in \mathbb{N}$. We symbolize with $Tr$ the map of the trace from $\mathbb{F}_{q^n}$ to $\mathbb{F}_q$, i.e. $Tr:\mathbb{F}_{q^n}\rightarrow \mathbb{F}_q$, $\displaystyle{Tr(a)=\sum_{j=0}^{n-1}a^{q^j}}$. I want to calculate the dimension of the image of the linear map $\theta : \mathbb{F}_{q^n} \rightarrow \mathbb{F}_{q^n}$, $\theta (\beta)=\beta^q-\beta$.

We have that $\dim (\mathbb{F}_{q^n})=\dim (\ker (\theta))+\dim (\text{im} (\theta))$, right?

The dimension of $\mathbb{F}_{q^n}$ is $q^n$, isn't it?

The kernel of the linear map is $$\ker (\theta)=\{\beta \in \mathbb{F}_{q^n}: \theta (\beta )=0\}=\{\beta \in \mathbb{F}_{q^n}: \beta^q-\beta=0\}$$ How many elements does this set have? (Wondering)

After that I want to show that $\ker (Tr)=\{\beta^q-\beta :\beta \in \mathbb{F}_{q^n}\}$.

We have that $$\ker (Tr)=\{a\in \mathbb{F}_{q^n} : Tr(a)=0\}=\left \{a\in \mathbb{F}_{q^n} : \sum_{j=0}^{n-1}a^{q^j}=0\right \}$$ Could you give me a hint how we could continue? (Wondering)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey mathmari!

Let p be a prime such that $q=p^k$ for some k.
Then $\mathbb F_{q^n}$ is a Galois extension of $\mathbb F_p$, isn't it?
And it can be treated as a vector space.
As such $\mathbb F_{q^n}$ has a basis of $kn$ elements, which means that its dimension is $kn$, doesn't it? (Thinking)

And yes, it means that $\dim (\mathbb{F}_{q^n})=\dim(\ker (\theta))+\dim (\text{im} (\theta))$.

Did you already try to figure it out for an example?
Say $q=3$ and $n=2$? (Wondering)

Klaas van Aarsen said:
Let p be a prime such that $q=p^k$ for some k.
Then $\mathbb F_{q^n}$ is a Galois extension of $\mathbb F_p$, isn't it?
And it can be treated as a vector space.
As such $\mathbb F_{q^n}$ has a basis of $kn$ elements, which means that its dimension is $kn$, doesn't it? (Thinking)

So do we have that $\mathbb F_{q^n}=\{1, a, a^2, \ldots , a^{q^n-1}\}=\{1, a, a^2, \ldots , a^{(p^k)^n-1}\}=\{1, a, a^2, \ldots , a^{p^{k^n}-1}\}$ ? (Wondering)
Klaas van Aarsen said:
Did you already try to figure it out for an example?
Say $q=3$ and $n=2$? (Wondering)

For an element $x$ of $\mathbb{F}_{3^2}$ it holds that $x^{3^2}=x$ and in general an element $x$ of $\mathbb{F}_{q^n}$ satisfies $x^{q^n}=x$, or not? (Wondering) For $\beta \in \mathbb{F}_{q^n}$ we have that $\beta^{q^n}=\beta\Rightarrow \left (\beta^q\right )^n=\beta$

So we get \begin{align*}\beta^q-\beta=0 &\Rightarrow \beta^q-\left (\beta^q\right )^n=0 \\ & \Rightarrow \beta^q\cdot \left (1-\left (\beta^q\right )^{n-1}\right )=0 \\ & \Rightarrow \beta^q=0 \text{ or } 1-\left (\beta^q\right )^{n-1}=0 \\ & \Rightarrow \beta^q=0 \text{ or } \left (\beta^q\right )^{n-1}=1\end{align*}

Is everything correct so far? (Wondering)

mathmari said:
So do we have that $\mathbb F_{q^n}=\{1, a, a^2, \ldots , a^{q^n-1}\}=\{1, a, a^2, \ldots , a^{(p^k)^n-1}\}=\{1, a, a^2, \ldots , a^{p^{k^n}-1}\}$ ?

Shouldn't that be:
$$\text{basis }\mathbb F_{q^n}=\{1, a^p, a^{p^2}, \ldots , a^{q^{n-1}}\}=\{1, a^p, a^{p^2}, \ldots , a^{(p^k)^{n-1}}\}=\{1, a^p, a^{p^2}, \ldots , a^{p^{kn-1}}\}$$
for some element $a$ that is primitive? (Wondering)

mathmari said:
For an element $x$ of $\mathbb{F}_{3^2}$ it holds that $x^{3^2}=x$ and in general an element $x$ of $\mathbb{F}_{q^n}$ satisfies $x^{q^n}=x$, or not?

Yes.

mathmari said:
For $\beta \in \mathbb{F}_{q^n}$ we have that $\beta^{q^n}=\beta\Rightarrow \left (\beta^q\right )^n=\beta$

Isn't $(\beta^q)^n = \beta^{qn}$ instead? (Wondering)

Klaas van Aarsen said:
Shouldn't that be:
$$\text{basis }\mathbb F_{q^n}=\{1, a^p, a^{p^2}, \ldots , a^{q^{n-1}}\}=\{1, a^p, a^{p^2}, \ldots , a^{(p^k)^{n-1}}\}=\{1, a^p, a^{p^2}, \ldots , a^{p^{kn-1}}\}$$
for some element $a$ that is primitive? (Wondering)

Ahh ok!
Klaas van Aarsen said:
Isn't $(\beta^q)^n = \beta^{qn}$ instead? (Wondering)

Ahh yes!

For $\beta\in \mathbb{F}_{q^n}$ we have $\beta^{q^n}=\beta\Rightarrow \left (\beta^q\right )^{q^{n-1}}=\beta$, right? (Wondering)

Then we get:
\begin{align*}\beta^q-\beta=0 &\Rightarrow \beta^q-\left (\beta^q\right )^{q^{n-1}}=0 \\ & \Rightarrow \beta^q\left (1-\left (\beta^q\right )^{q^{n-2}}\right )=0 \\ & \Rightarrow \beta^q=0 \ \text{ or } \ \left (\beta^q\right )^{q^{n-2}}=1\end{align*} Do we get from that $\beta=0$ or $\beta=1$ ? (Wondering)

mathmari said:
For $\beta\in \mathbb{F}_{q^n}$ we have $\beta^{q^n}=\beta\Rightarrow \left (\beta^q\right )^{q^{n-1}}=\beta$, right?

Yes. (Nod)

mathmari said:
Then we get:
\begin{align*}\beta^q-\beta=0 &\Rightarrow \beta^q-\left (\beta^q\right )^{q^{n-1}}=0 \\ & \Rightarrow \beta^q\left (1-\left (\beta^q\right )^{q^{n-2}}\right )=0 \\ & \Rightarrow \beta^q=0 \ \text{ or } \ \left (\beta^q\right )^{q^{n-2}}=1\end{align*}

Don't we have that:
$$\beta^q\cdot \left (\beta^q\right )^{q^{n-2}} = \left (\beta^q\right )^{q^{n-2}+1}
\ne \left (\beta^q\right )^{q^{n-1}}$$
(Worried)

mathmari said:
Do we get from that $\beta=0$ or $\beta=1$ ?

I don't think so.
Let's pick $q=3$ and $n=2$, so that $q^n=9$.
Then $2^3-2\equiv 6 \equiv 0 \pmod 3$, so that $\theta(2)=0$.
Therefore it can't be that the kernel of $\theta$ is just $\{0,1\}$, can it? (Wondering)

Klaas van Aarsen said:
Don't we have that:
$$\beta^q\cdot \left (\beta^q\right )^{q^{n-2}} = \left (\beta^q\right )^{q^{n-2}+1}
\ne \left (\beta^q\right )^{q^{n-1}}$$
(Worried)

Ah yes (Worried)

But how can we continue from $\beta^q-\beta=0 \Rightarrow \beta^q-\left (\beta^q\right )^{q^{n-1}}=0$ ? Could you give me a hint? (Wondering)

mathmari said:
But how can we continue from $\beta^q-\beta=0 \Rightarrow \beta^q-\left (\beta^q\right )^{q^{n-1}}=0$ ? Could you give me a hint?

Suppose $\alpha$ is a primitive element of $\mathbb F_{q^n}$.
Then $\mathbb F_{q^n} = \{0,\alpha,\alpha^2,\ldots,\alpha^{q^n-1}\}$, isn't it?
Furthermore, the order of $\alpha$ is $q^n-1$.
That is, $\alpha^{q^n-1}=1$, and $\alpha^i \ne 1$ for all $1\le i < q^n-1$.

We have $\beta^q-\beta=0 \iff \beta(\beta^{q-1}-1)=0 \iff \beta=0 \lor \beta^{q-1}=1$.
For which $\beta =\alpha^i$ will we have that $\beta^{q-1}=1$? (Wondering)

Alternatively, we have $\beta^q-\left (\beta^q\right )^{q^{n-1}}=0$.
And $q$ is co-prime with $q^n-1$ isn't it?
So $\beta\mapsto \beta^q$ is a bijection.
Therefore we can also count the $\gamma=\beta^q$ such that $\gamma-\gamma^{q^{n-1}}=0 \iff \gamma(1-\gamma^{q^{n-1}-1})=0
\iff \gamma=0 \lor \gamma^{q^{n-1}-1}=1$.
For which $\gamma=\alpha^i$ will that be the case? (Wondering)

Klaas van Aarsen said:
Suppose $\alpha$ is a primitive element of $\mathbb F_{q^n}$.
Then $\mathbb F_{q^n} = \{0,\alpha,\alpha^2,\ldots,\alpha^{q^n-1}\}$, isn't it?
Furthermore, the order of $\alpha$ is $q^n-1$.
That is, $\alpha^{q^n-1}=1$, and $\alpha^i \ne 1$ for all $1\le i < q^n-1$.

We have $\beta^q-\beta=0 \iff \beta(\beta^{q-1}-1)=0 \iff \beta=0 \lor \beta^{q-1}=1$.
For which $\beta =\alpha^i$ will we have that $\beta^{q-1}=1$? (Wondering)

We have that $\beta^{q-1} =1 \Rightarrow \left(\alpha^i\right )^{q-1}=1 \Rightarrow a^{i(q-1)}=1$. This holds for $1\leq i<q^n-1$ such that $i(q-1)$ is a multiple of $q^n-1$ :

$$i(q-1)=k\cdot (q^n-1)\Rightarrow i= \frac{k}{q-1}\cdot (q^n-1)$$
So we have to find all the values of $k$ such that $$1\leq \frac{k}{q-1}\cdot (q^n-1)<q^n-1$$ That is $1\leq k<q-1$, or not? (Wondering)

Does $i$ have to be an integer or can it be also a rational number? (Wondering)

mathmari said:
We have that $\beta^{q-1} =1 \Rightarrow \left(\alpha^i\right )^{q-1}=1 \Rightarrow a^{i(q-1)}=1$. This holds for $1\leq i<q^n-1$ such that $i(q-1)$ is a multiple of $q^n-1$ :

$$i(q-1)=k\cdot (q^n-1)\Rightarrow i= \frac{k}{q-1}\cdot (q^n-1)$$
So we have to find all the values of $k$ such that $$1\leq \frac{k}{q-1}\cdot (q^n-1)<q^n-1$$ That is $1\leq k<q-1$, or not? (Wondering)

Does $i$ have to be an integer or can it be also a rational number? (Wondering)

We picked $i$ such that the $\alpha^i$ are exactly the elements of $\mathbb F_{q^n}\setminus \{0\}$.
That means $i\in \{1,\ldots,q^{n}-1\}$, so no, $i$ is not rational.
Btw, that is up to and including $i=q^{n}-1$.
(Alternativelly we could pick $i\in \{0,\ldots,q^{n}-2\}$.)

Will $i= \frac{k}{q-1}\cdot (q^n-1)$ be in that set for all values of $1\le k {\color{red}\le} q-1$? (Wondering)

Klaas van Aarsen said:
We picked $i$ such that the $\alpha^i$ are exactly the elements of $\mathbb F_{q^n}\setminus \{0\}$.
That means $i\in \{1,\ldots,q^{n}-1\}$, so no, $i$ is not rational.
Btw, that is up to and including $i=q^{n}-1$.
(Alternativelly we could pick $i\in \{0,\ldots,q^{n}-2\}$.)

Ah ok! I see! (Nerd)
Klaas van Aarsen said:
Will $i= \frac{k}{q-1}\cdot (q^n-1)$ be in that set for all values of $1\le k {\color{red}\le} q-1$? (Wondering)

For any $k$ in that interval we get $k\cdot \frac{q^n-1}{q-1}=k\cdot \displaystyle{\sum_{i=0}^{n-1}q^i}$ which is an integer, right?

For $1\leq k\leq q-1$ we get $$\frac{q^n-1}{q-1}\leq k \cdot \frac{q^n-1}{q-1}\leq (q-1)\cdot \frac{q^n-1}{q-1} \Rightarrow \sum_{i=0}^{n-1}q^i\leq k \cdot \frac{q^n-1}{q-1}\leq q^n-1$$ So, it is in the set $\{1, \ldots , q^n-1\}$, isn't it?

mathmari said:
For any $k$ in that interval we get $k\cdot \frac{q^n-1}{q-1}=k\cdot \displaystyle{\sum_{i=0}^{n-1}q^i}$ which is an integer, right?

For $1\leq k\leq q-1$ we get $$\frac{q^n-1}{q-1}\leq k \cdot \frac{q^n-1}{q-1}\leq (q-1)\cdot \frac{q^n-1}{q-1} \Rightarrow \sum_{i=0}^{n-1}q^i\leq k \cdot \frac{q^n-1}{q-1}\leq q^n-1$$ So, it is in the set $\{1, \ldots , q^n-1\}$, isn't it?

Yep. (Nod)

Klaas van Aarsen said:
Yep. (Nod)

So, the kernel has the element $\beta=0 \Rightarrow \alpha=0$ (1 element) and the elements $\beta^{q-1} =1 \Rightarrow \left(\alpha^i\right )^{q-1}=1 \Rightarrow a^{i(q-1)}=1 \Rightarrow a^{k(q^n-1)}=1$, $1\leq k\leq q-1$ ($q-1$ elements).
So, in total the kernel has $q$ elements.

Is that correct? (Wondering) Therefore we get the following (where $q=p^k$): \begin{align*}\dim (\mathbb{F}_{q^n})=\dim (\ker (\theta))+\dim (\text{im} (\theta)) &\Rightarrow kn=q+\dim (\text{im} (\theta)) \\ & \Rightarrow kn=p^k+\dim (\text{im} (\theta)) \\ & \Rightarrow \dim (\text{im} (\theta))=kn-p^k\end{align*}
Is this correct? (Wondering)

mathmari said:
So, the kernel has the element $\beta=0 \Rightarrow \alpha=0$ (1 element) and the elements $\beta^{q-1} =1 \Rightarrow \left(\alpha^i\right )^{q-1}=1 \Rightarrow a^{i(q-1)}=1 \Rightarrow a^{k(q^n-1)}=1$, $1\leq k\leq q-1$ ($q-1$ elements).
So, in total the kernel has $q$ elements.

Yep.
Although $\alpha\ne 0$. It's supposed to be a primitive element after all.
Note that we cannot write $0$ as $\alpha^i$. The element $0$ is separate. (Nerd)

mathmari said:
Therefore we get the following (where $q=p^k$): \begin{align*}\dim (\mathbb{F}_{q^n})=\dim (\ker (\theta))+\dim (\text{im} (\theta)) &\Rightarrow kn=q+\dim (\text{im} (\theta)) \\ & \Rightarrow kn=p^k+\dim (\text{im} (\theta)) \\ & \Rightarrow \dim (\text{im} (\theta))=kn-p^k\end{align*}
Is this correct?

A dimension corresponds to $p$ elements.
So there are $k$ dimensions in $q=p^k$ elements, aren't there? (Thinking)

Klaas van Aarsen said:
Yep.
Although $\alpha\ne 0$. It's supposed to be a primitive element after all.
Note that we cannot write $0$ as $\alpha^i$. The element $0$ is separate. (Nerd)

So, the elements that are in $\ker (\theta)$ are the elements of $\mathbb{F}_q$, or not?

That means that $\dim (\ker (\theta ))=\dim (\mathbb{F}_q)$. The dimension of $\mathbb{F}_q$ over $\mathbb{F}_q$ is $1$, or not?

So, do we get that $\dim (\ker (\theta ))=1$ ?

Do we also have that $\dim (\mathbb{F}_{q^n})=n$ over $\mathbb{F}_q$ ?

(Wondering)

mathmari said:
So, the elements that are in $\ker (\theta)$ are the elements of $\mathbb{F}_q$, or not?

That means that $\dim (\ker (\theta ))=\dim (\mathbb{F}_q)$. The dimension of $\mathbb{F}_q$ over $\mathbb{F}_q$ is $1$, or not?

So, do we get that $\dim (\ker (\theta ))=1$ ?

Do we also have that $\dim (\mathbb{F}_{q^n})=n$ over $\mathbb{F}_q$ ?

I think so yes. (Nod)

Klaas van Aarsen said:
I think so yes. (Nod)

That means that $$\dim (\mathbb{F}_{q^n})=\dim (\ker (\theta))+\dim (\text{im} (\theta)) \Rightarrow n=1+\dim (\text{im} (\theta)) \Rightarrow \dim (\text{im} (\theta))=n-1$$
Is that correct? (Wondering)
About the second part:
$$\ker (Tr)=\{a\in \mathbb{F}_{q^n} : Tr(a)=0\}=\left \{a\in \mathbb{F}_{q^n} : \sum_{j=0}^{n-1}a^{q^j}=0\right \}$$ How can we show that this is equal to $\{\beta^q-\beta:\beta \in \mathbb{F}_{q^n}\}$ ? (Wondering)

mathmari said:
That means that $$\dim (\mathbb{F}_{q^n})=\dim (\ker (\theta))+\dim (\text{im} (\theta)) \Rightarrow n=1+\dim (\text{im} (\theta)) \Rightarrow \dim (\text{im} (\theta))=n-1$$
Is that correct?

Yep. (Nod)

mathmari said:
About the second part:
$$\ker (Tr)=\{a\in \mathbb{F}_{q^n} : Tr(a)=0\}=\left \{a\in \mathbb{F}_{q^n} : \sum_{j=0}^{n-1}a^{q^j}=0\right \}$$ How can we show that this is equal to $\{\beta^q-\beta:\beta \in \mathbb{F}_{q^n}\}$ ?

Suppose we fill in $\beta^q-\beta$ in the formula for $Tr$? (Thinking)

Klaas van Aarsen said:
Suppose we fill in $\beta^q-\beta$ in the formula for $Tr$? (Thinking)

Is $Tr$ a linear map? If yes, then we have $Tr(\beta^q-\beta)=Tr(\beta^q)-Tr(\beta)$.

We have the following: \begin{align*}&Tr(\beta^q)=\sum_{j=0}^{n-1}\left (\beta^q\right )^{q^j}=\sum_{j=0}^{n-1}\beta^{q^{j+1}}=\beta^q+\beta^{q^2}+\ldots+\beta^{q^{n-1}}+\beta^{q^n}=\beta^q+\ldots+\beta^{q^{n-1}}+\beta \\ &Tr(\beta)=\sum_{j=0}^{n-1}\beta^{q^j}=\beta+\beta^q+\ldots +\beta^{q^{n-1}}\end{align*} That means that $Tr(\beta^q)=Tr(\beta)$.

So, we get $Tr(\beta^q-\beta)=0$ and so $\beta^q-q\in \ker(Tr)\Rightarrow \text{im}(\theta)\subseteq \ker (Tr)$, right? (Wondering)

Now it is left to get the equality. We know that $\dim (\text{im}(\theta))=n-1$. How can we calculate the dimension of $\ker (Tr)$ ? (Wondering)

mathmari said:
Is $Tr$ a linear map? If yes, then we have $Tr(\beta^q-\beta)=Tr(\beta^q)-Tr(\beta)$.

We'll have to verify!
Do we have for all $a,b\in\mathbb F_{q^n}$ and $\lambda\in\mathbb F_q$ that $Tr(a+b)=Tr(a)+Tr(b)$ and $Tr(\lambda a)=\lambda Tr(a)$? (Wondering)

mathmari said:
We have the following: \begin{align*}&Tr(\beta^q)=\sum_{j=0}^{n-1}\left (\beta^q\right )^{q^j}=\sum_{j=0}^{n-1}\beta^{q^{j+1}}=\beta^q+\beta^{q^2}+\ldots+\beta^{q^{n-1}}+\beta^{q^n}=\beta^q+\ldots+\beta^{q^{n-1}}+\beta \\ &Tr(\beta)=\sum_{j=0}^{n-1}\beta^{q^j}=\beta+\beta^q+\ldots +\beta^{q^{n-1}}\end{align*} That means that $Tr(\beta^q)=Tr(\beta)$.

So, we get $Tr(\beta^q-\beta)=0$ and so $\beta^q-q\in \ker(Tr)\Rightarrow \text{im}(\theta)\subseteq \ker (Tr)$, right? (Wondering)

Now it is left to get the equality. We know that $\dim (\text{im}(\theta))=n-1$. How can we calculate the dimension of $\ker (Tr)$ ? (Wondering)

If $Tr$ is a linear map, than $\dim(\text{im}(Tr))$ is either $0$ or $1$ isn't it?
Can we find an element $a$ such that $Tr(a)\ne 0$? (Wondering)

Klaas van Aarsen said:
We'll have to verify!
Do we have for all $a,b\in\mathbb F_{q^n}$ and $\lambda\in\mathbb F_q$ that $Tr(a+b)=Tr(a)+Tr(b)$ and $Tr(\lambda a)=\lambda Tr(a)$? (Wondering)

$$T(a+b)=\sum_{j=0}^{n-1}\left (a+b\right )^{q^j}$$ We apply here the binomial theorem and the intermediate terms are $0$ over $\mathbb{F}_q$ and then we get $$\sum_{j=0}^{n-1}\left (a^{q^j}+b^{q^j}\right )=\sum_{j=0}^{n-1}a^{q^j}+\sum_{j=0}^{n-1}b^{q^j}=Tr(a)+Tr(b)$$ right? (Wondering)

Furthermore, $$Tr(\lambda a)=\sum_{j=0}^{n-1}\left (\lambda a\right )^{q^j}=\sum_{j=0}^{n-1}\left (\lambda^{q^j} a^{q^j}\right )$$ Is this equal to $\lambda Tr(a)$ ? (Wondering)
Klaas van Aarsen said:
If $Tr$ is a linear map, than $\dim(\text{im}(Tr))$ is either $0$ or $1$ isn't it?
Can we find an element $a$ such that $Tr(a)\ne 0$? (Wondering)

Why is the dimension $0$ or $1$ ? (Wondering)

For $a=1$ we get $Tr(1)=n\neq 0$, don't we? (Wondering)

mathmari said:
$$T(a+b)=\sum_{j=0}^{n-1}\left (a+b\right )^{q^j}$$ We apply here the binomial theorem and the intermediate terms are $0$ over $\mathbb{F}_q$ and then we get $$\sum_{j=0}^{n-1}\left (a^{q^j}+b^{q^j}\right )=\sum_{j=0}^{n-1}a^{q^j}+\sum_{j=0}^{n-1}b^{q^j}=Tr(a)+Tr(b)$$ right? (Wondering)

Furthermore, $$Tr(\lambda a)=\sum_{j=0}^{n-1}\left (\lambda a\right )^{q^j}=\sum_{j=0}^{n-1}\left (\lambda^{q^j} a^{q^j}\right )$$ Is this equal to $\lambda Tr(a)$ ?

Since $\lambda\in \mathbb F_q$, don't we have that $\lambda^q=\lambda$? (Thinking)

mathmari said:
Why is the dimension $0$ or $1$ ?

Since $\text{im}(\theta)\subseteq \ker(Tr)$, we have that $\dim(\ker(Tr))\ge \dim(\text{im}(\theta))=n-1$.
And $\dim(\mathbb F_{q^n})=\dim(\ker(Tr)) + \dim(\text{im}(Tr))$, isn't it? (Wondering)

mathmari said:
For $a=1$ we get $Tr(1)=n\neq 0$, don't we?

Indeed.
But only if $p\not\mid n$, isn't it? (Wondering)

Klaas van Aarsen said:
Since $\lambda\in \mathbb F_q$, don't we have that $\lambda^q=\lambda$? (Thinking)

Oh yes! (Nerd)
Klaas van Aarsen said:
Since $\text{im}(\theta)\subseteq \ker(Tr)$, we have that $\dim(\ker(Tr))\ge \dim(\text{im}(\theta))=n-1$.
And $\dim(\mathbb F_{q^n})=\dim(\ker(Tr)) + \dim(\text{im}(Tr))$, isn't it? (Wondering)

Ahh ok, I got it! (Yes)
Klaas van Aarsen said:
Indeed.
But only if $p\not\mid n$, isn't it? (Wondering)

Do you mean $q$ instead of $p$, i.e. if $q\not\mid n$ then for $a=1$ we have $Tr(1)=n\neq 0$ ?

If $q\mid n$ what $a$ can we take then?

(Wondering)

mathmari said:
Do you mean $q$ instead of $p$, i.e. if $q\not\mid n$ then for $a=1$ we have $Tr(1)=n\neq 0$ ?

No, I meant $p$, the prime that $q$ is a power of.
The characteristic of a finite field is the number of times that we must add $1$ together until we get $0$, which is this prime $p$.
So if $n$ is a multiple of $p$, then $Tr(1)=0$, regardless of what $q$ is. (Nerd)

mathmari said:
If $q\mid n$ what $a$ can we take then?

I don't know yet what we can pick if $p \mid n$. (Sweating)

$Tr$ is a non-zero polynomial of degree at most $q^{n-1}$, isn't it?
So it has at most $q^{n-1}$ zeroes.
Since there are $q^n$ elements in total, there must be at least an element $a$ with $Tr(a)\ne 0$, mustn't it? (Wondering)

1. What is a kernel of a linear map?

The kernel of a linear map is the set of all elements in the domain that get mapped to the zero element in the co-domain. In other words, it is the set of all inputs that result in an output of zero.

2. What is the significance of the kernel in linear algebra?

The kernel is significant because it represents the null space of a linear map. This means that it contains all vectors that are mapped to zero, and by understanding the kernel, we can better understand the range and rank of the linear map.

3. How is the kernel of a linear map related to its inverse?

The kernel of a linear map and its inverse are closely related. If the kernel of a linear map is trivial (only contains the zero vector), then the inverse exists. Conversely, if the kernel is not trivial, then the inverse does not exist.

4. How does the size of the finite field affect the kernel of a linear map?

The size of the finite field, denoted by q, directly affects the size of the kernel. In particular, the kernel of a linear map in a finite field $\mathbb{F}_{q^n}$ has a size that is a factor of q^n. This relationship is known as the rank-nullity theorem.

5. Can the kernel of a linear map be empty?

Yes, the kernel of a linear map can be empty, but it is not common. This means that there are no elements in the domain that get mapped to zero in the co-domain. In other words, the only vector mapped to zero is the zero vector itself.