Kiln Building Q&A: Choosing the Right Element for 1500°C Heat

In summary, the conversation is about building a kiln and choosing the appropriate heating element. The person is seeking advice and information on how to achieve a temperature of 1200 degrees celsius and if the heating element will continually get hotter or potentially melt. They are also recommended to do further research on building ceramic kilns for more detailed information.
mayarefugee
Hello Everyone,

I've been looking for an answer to problem I have and I'm getting nowhere so I thought asking the question in a place like this might be useful.

I'm planning to build a kiln. I have refractory material that can sustain 1500 degrees celsius. I'm trying to choose an element but I don't understand heat that well.

If I put any element (of reasonable wattage) in their at full power will the inside of the kiln continually get hotter and eventually get to a high temp?

How should I choose an element (I will be putting a PID controller on it by the way) - I want to get heats of up to 1200 degrees celsius.

Does the heat from the element get stored and re-readiated fromt he refractory/walls?

Do heating elements get hot enough that they can melt/destroy themselves?

Thanks in advance,

Maya

Science news on Phys.org
Just Google "building ceramic kiln" and you'll quickly find much more authoritative information on this topic than we can provide here.

Related to Kiln Building Q&A: Choosing the Right Element for 1500°C Heat

1. How do I determine the correct element for my 1500°C kiln?

The correct element for a 1500°C kiln depends on several factors, such as the size and shape of the kiln, the firing schedule, and the type of materials being fired. It is best to consult with a kiln manufacturer or expert to determine the most suitable element for your specific kiln and firing needs.

2. Can I use a lower temperature element in my 1500°C kiln?

It is not recommended to use a lower temperature element in a 1500°C kiln. This can lead to uneven heating, longer firing times, and potential damage to the kiln. It is important to use the correct element for the desired temperature to ensure safe and efficient firing.

3. How often do I need to replace the element in my 1500°C kiln?

The frequency of element replacement depends on usage and maintenance of the kiln. In general, elements should be replaced every 1-3 years for optimum performance. Regularly checking for signs of wear and tear, such as discoloration or breaks, can help determine when it is time for replacement.

4. What is the difference between Kanthal and Nichrome elements?

Kanthal and Nichrome are both types of resistance heating elements commonly used in kilns. Kanthal is a type of iron-chromium-aluminum alloy that is more durable and has a higher melting point than Nichrome. Nichrome is a nickel-chromium alloy that is less expensive but may have a shorter lifespan compared to Kanthal.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when working with 1500°C kilns?

Yes, there are several safety precautions to take when working with high temperature kilns. It is important to wear protective gear, such as heat-resistant gloves and goggles, and to carefully follow the manufacturer's instructions for operating the kiln. It is also recommended to have a fire extinguisher nearby and to regularly check for any potential hazards, such as frayed wires or damaged elements.