Kinetic Energy and relative momentum

In summary, the concept of kinetic energy is relative and not an intrinsic property of an object. It is dependent on the reference frame and can be perceived differently by different observers. This means that the transfer of kinetic energy is also frame dependent and can be difficult to understand without considering the reference frame.
jlennoxg
I've just started getting interested in physics and I am only a few (basic) books deep but there is something that has been distracting me that I can't come to a logical conclusion about. I assume this means there is a flaw in my basic understanding and wish to fix it asap. Here goes.

I am assuming the following statements to be true (as is my understanding which, as I've said, is likely flawed).

*The kinetic energy of an object is greater the faster it is moving.

*As motion is relative, Person A on the ground can observe Person B whizzing through space close to the speed of light and claim that they are stationary and it is Person B who is moving. Likewise, Person B can claim that they are stationary and it is indeed Person A who is moving close to the speed of light (along with the Earth which Person A is standing on).

What I don't understand is where kinetic comes into this. If Person A is stationary they have no kinetic energy and they perceive Person B to have a high amount of kinetic energy. But at the same time Person B perceives them to have a high kinetic energy similar to that which Person A thinks Person B has. They can't both have high kinetic energy AND no kinetic energy can they?

I hope that makes sense and I've not overcomplicated it too much. Sorry if this is a stupid question or has an obvious answer, it's just something that has been bugging me! Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
jlennoxg said:
If Person A is stationary they have no kinetic energy and they perceive Person B to have a high amount of kinetic energy. But at the same time Person B perceives them to have a high kinetic energy similar to that which Person A thinks Person B has. They can't both have high kinetic energy AND no kinetic energy can they?
Kinetic energy is frame dependent. It is not an intrinsic property of the object. It is a number assigned to the object based on the reference frame, just like position and velocity.

Consequently the transfer of KE is also frame frame dependent:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXr3O1cxYrc#t=90s

If you internalize those facts, you will never be confused asking yourself where the energy comes from to drive one of these:

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Kinetic Energy and relative momentum

What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. It is dependent on the mass and velocity of the object, and can be calculated using the equation KE = 1/2mv^2.

How does kinetic energy differ from potential energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object has due to its motion, while potential energy is the energy an object has due to its position or state. Kinetic energy can be converted into potential energy and vice versa.

What is relative momentum?

Relative momentum is a measure of the momentum of an object in relation to another object. It takes into account the velocity and mass of both objects and is used to describe the motion of objects in a system.

How is kinetic energy and relative momentum related?

Kinetic energy and relative momentum are related because both are dependent on the mass and velocity of an object. As an object's velocity increases, its kinetic energy and relative momentum also increase.

What are some real-life applications of kinetic energy and relative momentum?

Some real-life applications of kinetic energy and relative momentum include car accidents, where the kinetic energy of moving cars can cause damage, and rocket launches, where the relative momentum of the rocket and fuel is used to propel it into space.