Kinetic energy loss in disintegrated matter

In summary: So if you throw a baseball at the sun, it will release the kinetic energy of the individual atoms in the baseball. The atoms will break apart into smaller and smaller pieces and eventually those pieces will collide with other particles in the sun, releasing more light and heat. As long as the baseball has some kinetic energy, it will be released in this way. If you start with a baseball that has no kinetic energy, it will be impossible to release that energy in any way.
David12357
What happens to the kinetic energy when an object is disintegrated? Does it survive?

For example, if I throw a baseball at the sun at 100 mph, I will get X amounts of heat energy released and X amount of light as it burned up before contact. If I threw another baseball 100,000 mph into the sun, do I get the same X amounts of light and heat released, or is it higher relative to us since it was going faster? I thought it was the same energy release.
If the energy released is the same for both baseballs, where does the kinetic energy go? Is it traveling through space in another form, i.e dark energy or dark matter? I am puzzled on this concept if you scale this scenario up to very large objects in space, which have considerable influence on space/time.

Physics news on Phys.org
The "missing" kinetic energy generally ends up as heat, and there is more heat at the end if we started with more kinetic energy at the beginning.

David12357 said:
If the energy released is the same for both baseballs, where does the kinetic energy go?
It goes into e.g. kinetic energy of the individual atoms that the baseballs disintegrate into, and the atoms in the sun that those atoms collide with. Dark energy and dark matter are not involved in these processes.

David12357 said:
I thought it was the same energy release.
It is, perhaps, instructive to read what Feynman said about energy conservation here.
http://www.feynmanlectures.caltech.edu/I_04.html
The more toy blocks you start with, the more toy blocks you have to look for when all is said and done.

Likes Nugatory
David12357 said:
If I threw another baseball 100,000

For me, rather than begin by contemplating a baseball, its easier to think about one particle that collides with a different particle emitted by the sun. Its evident that the faster the incoming particle is moving, the more energy will be involved in the collision, and of course all the energy will be conserved in the collision.

A baseball is a collection of particles; each single particle making up the baseball will be involved in its own series of collisions, each individual collision conserving energy. The disintegration of the baseball involves chemical bonds between atoms being broken, which is part of the total energy involved that must be conserved, but it doesn't fundamentally change anything about conservation of energy.

Any macro object in the universe as far as I know is a collection of individual particles bound together by some force and those bonds have potential energy which needs to be accounted for if they are broken.

What is kinetic energy loss in disintegrated matter?

Kinetic energy loss in disintegrated matter refers to the decrease in the energy of particles that are broken apart or disintegrated. This can occur due to various processes such as collisions, nuclear reactions, or decay.

How is kinetic energy loss in disintegrated matter measured?

Kinetic energy loss in disintegrated matter can be measured using instruments such as particle detectors, calorimeters, and spectrometers. These devices can detect and measure the energy of particles before and after they are disintegrated.

What factors can affect the amount of kinetic energy loss in disintegrated matter?

The amount of kinetic energy loss in disintegrated matter can be affected by various factors such as the type of particles involved, the energy of the particles, and the type of interactions that occur during disintegration. Other external factors such as temperature and pressure can also play a role.

Can kinetic energy be conserved in disintegrated matter?

In most cases, kinetic energy is not conserved in disintegrated matter. This is because some of the energy is converted into other forms, such as heat or electromagnetic radiation. However, in certain processes like elastic collisions, kinetic energy can be conserved.

How is kinetic energy loss in disintegrated matter relevant in real-world applications?

Understanding kinetic energy loss in disintegrated matter is important in various fields such as nuclear physics, astrophysics, and particle physics. It can also have practical applications in areas such as energy production, medical imaging, and environmental monitoring.