Kinetic Energy of Springs with Mass

In summary, the equation (1/6)(m_s)(v^2) represents the kinetic energy of a spring with mass m_s and velocity v at its tip. The derivation for this equation involves breaking the spring into segments of mass dm and integrating the kinetic energy expression from 0 to the length of the spring, L. This allows for a better understanding and use of the equation.
fusebox13
Just to start with this equation:
[tex]\frac{1}{6} m_s v^2[/tex]
Incase my latex is broken, its (1/6)(m_s)(v^2). Where m_s is the mass of the spring, and V is the velocity of the spring at it's tip.
I'm looking for a derivation for this equation, because it was just handed to me and I don't like using equations without knowing where they came from. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Thanks in advance :shy:

Physics news on Phys.org
Think of the spring (length L) in segments of mass dm. One end of the spring is fixed, the other moves at speed [itex]v_s[/itex]. So a mass element at position x from the fixed end has speed [itex](x/L) v_s[/itex], and thus a KE of [itex]1/2 (dm) (x/L)^2 v_s^2[/itex]. Express dm in terms of dx: [itex]dm = (m_s/L) dx[/itex] and integrate the previous expression (from 0 to L) to find the total KE.

Thanks

So, essentially we are just summing up all the tiny dKE's. That makes a whole lot of sense now. Thanks Doc.

:!)

Related to Kinetic Energy of Springs with Mass

What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion.

How is kinetic energy calculated?

Kinetic energy is calculated using the formula KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where m is the mass of the object and v is its velocity.

What is the relationship between spring mass and kinetic energy?

The kinetic energy of a spring with a mass attached is directly proportional to the mass of the object and the square of its velocity.

How does the spring constant affect kinetic energy?

The spring constant, or stiffness, affects the kinetic energy by determining how much force is required to stretch or compress the spring and thus affect the velocity of the object attached to it.

Can the kinetic energy of a spring with mass change?

Yes, the kinetic energy of a spring with mass can change if there is a change in the mass or velocity of the object attached to it, or if there is a change in the spring constant.