Kinetic Theory of Gas: F=-2mv/2L/V

In summary, the conversation discusses the formula F = Δp/Δt and its application in the kinetic-molecular theory of gases. It also delves into the concept of time and distance in relation to velocity and collision, as well as the assumption of equal average velocity components in the kinetic theory. The conversation concludes with an explanation of why vx = vy = vz in the kinetic theory of gases.
terryds
F = Δp/Δt

http://www.sumoware.com/images/temp/xzhhjttxobbodxgr.png
(Sorry for bad sketch.. hehe)

In the kinetic-molecular theory of gas, the Δp is -2mv (since it's supposed to be elastic collision)
But, why the Δt is 2L/V ??
I think it must be a very small time (since the impact is done in a very very small time)
Why the time is the interval time before the velocity gets back to the initial velocity ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You want the average, so the actual duration of the collision is not the relevant time scale. 2L/v is the time it will take for a molecule to travel to the other wall and come back to hit again. Therefore, on a given wall a molecule will have a change of momentum of Δp every 2L/v, on average.

Likes terryds
It should be ##Δ t=\frac{2L}{V_x}##. V is the velocity in 3D, and the distance covered may not necessarily be L (remember that ##<V^2>=<{V_x}^2>+<{V_y}^2>+<{V_z}^2>##, and the velocity components in the ##y## and ##z## direction may be non-zero). The particle starts at one wall, travels a distance of ##L## due to it ##V_x## velocity component, collides, and returns along its original trajectory to the wall covering a distance of L again (total distance traveled is ##2L##). Therefore, ##Δt=\frac{2L}{V_x}##. On a side note, to avoid confusion I recommend that you use ##v## to denote the velocity instead, as ##V## is almost always used to denote volume in these kind of questions.

Likes terryds
PWiz said:
It should be ##Δ t=\frac{2L}{V_x}##. V is the velocity in 3D, and the distance covered may not necessarily be L (remember that ##<V^2>=<{V_x}^2>+<{V_y}^2>+<{V_z}^2>##, and the velocity components in the ##y## and ##z## direction may be non-zero). The particle starts at one wall, travels a distance of ##L## due to it ##V_x## velocity component, collides, and returns along its original trajectory to the wall covering a distance of L again (total distance traveled is ##2L##). Therefore, ##Δt=\frac{2L}{V_x}##. On a side note, to avoid confusion I recommend that you use ##v## to denote the velocity instead, as ##V## is almost always used to denote volume in these kind of questions.

So, when it has non-zero velocities in x,y, and z directions, Δt is no longer 2L/v , right ?

terryds said:
So, when it has non-zero velocities in x,y, and z directions, Δt is no longer 2L/v , right ?
Wrong. You can decompose the motion along x, y and z, and look only along one axis. As PWiz correctly clarified, you have ##\Delta t = 2L/v_x##: you need to consider the component of velocity along one direction.

terryds said:
Just remember that time over here is always equal to (2×distance traveled )/(velocity in the direction of travel). If for example you take the distance only along the y axis, then you must use the ##v_y## component. If you take the distance traveled in the xy plane, then use the velocity in the xy plane.

DrClaude said:
Wrong. You can decompose the motion along x, y and z, and look only along one axis. As PWiz correctly clarified, you have ##\Delta t = 2L/v_x##: you need to consider the component of velocity along one direction.

Hmm..
I imagine if vz is much greater than vx
So, I think the gas molecule will collide before it travels 2Lx..

Last edited:
PWiz said:
Just remember that time over here is always equal to (2×distance traveled )/(velocity in the direction of travel). If for example you take the distance only along the y axis, then you must use the ##v_y## component. If you take the distance traveled in the xy plane, then use the velocity in the xy plane.

Hmm.. I see in ,
Can you please explain me why vx = vy = v[sub]z[/sub] ( Underline means that the average of velocity, I know it should be an over bar, but I don't know how to Latex haha)

terryds said:
Hmm..
I imagine if vz is much greater than vx
So, I think the gas molecule will collide before it travels 2Lx..
But it will not change how long it will take before it hits again the same wall which lies in the yz plane.

I made a drawing: the green molecule will take the same time to come back to that wall regardless of whether it takes the blue or the red path, provided that ##v_x## is the same.
Snapshot.jpg

Likes terryds
terryds said:
Can you please explain me why vx = vy = v[sub]z[/sub] ( Underline means that the average of velocity, I know it should be an over bar, but I don't know how to Latex haha)
Because of collisions between molecules, at equilibrium there is no preferred direction, and the average velocity should be the same along any axis.

Likes terryds
terryds said:
Hmm.. I see in ,

To use latex, just place the variables between two pound signs (i.e. #). When you're typing a post, you will see that near the post button, there is a latex preview button and a latex guide (I don't remember the exact position because I usually post through my phone).

The principal assumption in the kinetic theory of gases is that the number of gas particles is so large that we can say that the average components of the velocity of each particle will be approximately the same. One particle might have an unusually large ##v_z## component, but when you'll take the average over a very large number, they will all have the same average velocity. (Technically we are comparing the average of the sqaured velocity terms - hence we get a formula for the root mean square velocity, not the average velocity.)

1. What is the Kinetic Theory of Gas?

The Kinetic Theory of Gas is a scientific model that explains the behavior of gases at a molecular level. It states that gases are made up of small particles, such as atoms or molecules, that are in constant random motion. These particles collide with each other and with the walls of their container, creating pressure and other observable properties of gases.

2. How is the force of a gas calculated using the formula F=-2mv/2L/V?

The force of a gas can be calculated using the formula F=-2mv/2L/V, where F represents force, m is the mass of the gas particle, v is the velocity of the particle, L is the length of the container, and V is the volume of the container. This formula is derived from the Kinetic Theory of Gas, which states that the force of a gas is directly proportional to the mass and velocity of the gas particles, and inversely proportional to the length and volume of the container.

3. How does temperature affect the Kinetic Theory of Gas?

According to the Kinetic Theory of Gas, temperature is directly related to the average kinetic energy of gas particles. As the temperature of a gas increases, the particles gain more kinetic energy and move faster, resulting in an increase in pressure. Conversely, as the temperature decreases, the particles have less kinetic energy and move slower, resulting in a decrease in pressure.

4. Can the Kinetic Theory of Gas be applied to all gases?

Yes, the Kinetic Theory of Gas can be applied to all gases, regardless of their chemical composition. This is because the theory is based on the fundamental properties of gases, such as their particles being in constant motion and colliding with each other and their container. However, the behavior of gases may vary slightly depending on their individual properties, such as molecular weight and intermolecular forces.

5. How is the Kinetic Theory of Gas related to the Ideal Gas Law?

The Kinetic Theory of Gas is closely related to the Ideal Gas Law, which is PV=nRT. This law describes the relationship between pressure (P), volume (V), number of moles (n), temperature (T), and the ideal gas constant (R). The Ideal Gas Law is derived from the Kinetic Theory of Gas, and both models rely on the assumption that gas particles are in constant motion and have no volume or intermolecular forces. However, in real-world situations, gases do have some volume and experience intermolecular forces, so the Ideal Gas Law is not always perfectly accurate.