Kirchhoff's Law with Capacitors: Voltage, Resistance & Charge

In summary, Kirchhoff's law with capacitors involves using different conventions for the passive and active sign, which can lead to confusion. This can be simplified by thinking about the physics of current flow rather than relying on complicated rules.
Silviu
Hello! I am bit confused about kirchhoffs law with capacitors. So if I have a battery and resistance, I obtain V-RI=0. But from what I read, if I have a capacitor and resistance (so discharging capacitor), the equation reads
R(dq/dt) + q/c = 0, which is equivalent to RI + q/c =0. Why in this case we have "+" between terms, if the capacitor acts like a battery?

Physics news on Phys.org
If the capacitor discharges, the current lowers the charge, so ##I = - dV/dt = -{1\over C}{dq\over dt}##

Likes vanhees71
Silviu said:
Hello! I am bit confused about kirchhoffs law with capacitors. So if I have a battery and resistance, I obtain V-RI=0. But from what I read, if I have a capacitor and resistance (so discharging capacitor), the equation reads
R(dq/dt) + q/c = 0, which is equivalent to RI + q/c =0. Why in this case we have "+" between terms, if the capacitor acts like a battery?
In addition to the above, it could also come from using the passive sign convention for the capacitor and the active sign convention for the battery. The convention used doesn't affect any of the physics.

The passive sign convention means that a positive current goes from the positive side to the negative side so P=IV is the power received by the element. The active sign convention means that a positive current goes from the negative side to the positive side so P=IV is the power produced by the element.

To get the right sign, it's much easier to think in terms of actual current flow. E.g., a positive current towards the positively charged plate of the capacitor leads to an increasing voltage. It's much simpler to think about the physics than learn the quite complicated conventional rules by engineers, which usually leads to confuse themselves ;-).

What is Kirchhoff's Law with Capacitors?

Kirchhoff's Law with Capacitors, also known as Kirchhoff's Loop Rule, is a fundamental law in electrical circuit analysis that states that the sum of voltage drops in a closed loop is equal to the sum of the voltage sources in that loop.

How does Kirchhoff's Law apply to capacitors?

In the context of capacitors, Kirchhoff's Law states that the sum of the voltage drops across all capacitors in a closed loop is equal to the sum of the voltage sources in that loop.

Can Kirchhoff's Law with Capacitors be applied to both series and parallel circuits?

Yes, Kirchhoff's Law with Capacitors can be applied to both series and parallel circuits. In series circuits, the total voltage drop across capacitors is equal to the sum of individual voltage drops. In parallel circuits, the total voltage drop across capacitors is equal to the voltage source.

How does Kirchhoff's Law with Capacitors relate to charge conservation?

Kirchhoff's Law with Capacitors is based on the principle of charge conservation, which states that the total charge entering a junction must equal the total charge leaving that junction. This principle is essential in understanding the behavior of capacitors in a circuit.

What is the role of resistance in Kirchhoff's Law with Capacitors?

Resistance plays a crucial role in Kirchhoff's Law with Capacitors as it affects the amount of voltage drop across a capacitor. In a series circuit, the total resistance is equal to the sum of individual resistances, while in a parallel circuit, the total resistance is inversely proportional to the individual resistances.