KISS Principle Marine Propulsion

In summary, this motor eliminates the need for a water tight bearing, reduces noise and vibration levels, and has hardly any cavitation.
anorlunda
Staff Emeritus
Insights Author
I"m a big fan of the KISS principle in engineering. I'm also a boater. I just found something I wanted to share.

It is a permanent magnet motor in which the propeller itself is the rotor. The video hints that it works with simple reversals of polarity similar to a stepper motor.

slask.png

That eliminates nearly all of those troublesome intermediate devices and hull penetrations for mechanical power transmission, It is about as KISS as I can imagine for an electric drive.

Put one of those forward and another one aft, and you have a superbly maneuverable vessel.

How to generate the electric power on board is a separate question.

Attachments

• slask.png
    slask.png
    62.8 KB · Views: 768
Likes PaulK2 and DrClaude
Engineering news on Phys.org
anorlunda said:
I"m a big fan of the KISS principle in engineering. I'm also a boater. I just found something I wanted to share.How to generate the electric power on board is a separate question.

This is almost the exact concept in my mind when I made the comment in the Boeing Challenge thread, my thoughts are a very lite-weight flying platform (more complicated) where this is a perfect heat exchange opportunity. One has only to imagine a closed loop steam cycle within the blades and hub section. electric is generated at the outer ring and a resistance inside the blade tips makes high pressure steam that moves to the hub and provides torque to drive the blades, the bulk of the blade area serves to exchange heat that returns the spent steam to liquid and the cycle repeats.

ps. The mechanics would be similar to the workings of a bubble jet printer, just a much greater scale. Perhaps this might help build a mental picture of the basic workings.

Last edited:
The pump in our washing machine works in a similar manner. There are permanent magnets on the rotor which is submerged in the water. Means there is no need for a water tight bearing which reduces chances of a leak.

Video text said:
... with reduced noise and vibration levels and hardly no cavitation.
Is that a double negative there?
What has cavitation got to do with it? Maybe the blades are so poorly shaped that they have problems with cavitation.

Baluncore said:
Is that a double negative there?
What has cavitation got to do with it? Maybe the blades are so poorly shaped that they have problems with cavitation.

I think if you add more vanes on the prop, you can reduce the RPM for the same power. At reduced RPM you have less cavitation.

1. What is the KISS Principle in marine propulsion?

The KISS Principle, or Keep It Simple, Stupid Principle, in marine propulsion refers to the concept of designing a propulsion system that is simple, efficient and reliable. It focuses on minimizing complexity and using straightforward solutions to achieve optimal performance.

2. How does the KISS Principle apply to marine propulsion?

In marine propulsion, the KISS Principle can be applied by using a propulsion system that has fewer components, is easy to maintain and has a lower risk of failure. This can result in cost savings, increased efficiency and improved safety for marine vessels.

3. What are the benefits of using the KISS Principle in marine propulsion?

Some of the benefits of using the KISS Principle in marine propulsion include reduced maintenance costs, improved fuel efficiency, increased reliability and reduced risk of breakdowns. It also allows for easier troubleshooting and repairs, saving time and resources.

4. Are there any disadvantages to using the KISS Principle in marine propulsion?

One potential disadvantage of using the KISS Principle in marine propulsion is that it may limit the options for advanced features or technology that could potentially improve performance. Additionally, in some cases, a simpler propulsion system may not be suitable for larger or more complex vessels.

5. How can the KISS Principle be implemented in marine propulsion?

The KISS Principle can be implemented in marine propulsion by using proven, reliable technologies and designs, minimizing the number of components and systems, and prioritizing ease of maintenance. Regular maintenance and inspections are also crucial to ensure the system continues to function optimally.