What are the steps for solving a problem using Lagrange Multipliers?

In summary: In Terms of the other point, where did it come from? Did it come from quadrant 1?In Quadrant 1, x^2 + y^2 = 8 so y = -2 or 2. In Quadrant 1, x^2 + y^2 = 8 so y = -2 or 2.1. Which Lagrange multiplier will I use to find the maximum? 2. What is the order of the multipliers? 1. I will use the multiplier which is the first one on the list, which is $\lambda$
harpazo
Use Lagrange Multipliers to find the individual extrema, assuming that x and y are positive.

Maximize: f (x, y) = e^(xy)

Constraint: x^2 + y^2 = 8

My Work:

I decided to rewrite the constraint as x^2 + y^2 without the constant 8 as originally given.

g (x, y) = x^2 + y^2

I found the gradient of f to be ye^(xy)i + xe^(xy)j.

I found the gradient of g to be 2xi + 2yj.

I then substituted the above into

gradient of f = L * gradient of g, where L represents the lowercase Greek letter lambda.

ye^(xy)i + xe^(xy)j = L * 2xi + 2yj.

I equated the coefficient of i to 2xL and the coefficient of j to 2yL.

This yields the following system of equations:

ye^(xy) = 2xL
xe^(xy) = 2yL

I am stuck here.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you solve both equations for $\lambda$ and then equate the results, you obtain:

\(\displaystyle \frac{ye^{xy}}{2x}=\frac{xe^{xy}}{2y}\)

Multiply through by 2:

\(\displaystyle \frac{ye^{xy}}{x}=\frac{xe^{xy}}{y}\)

Since $e^{xy}\ne0$ for any real values, you may divide through by that expression:

\(\displaystyle \frac{y}{x}=\frac{x}{y}\)

What does this imply?

MarkFL said:
If you solve both equations for $\lambda$ and then equate the results, you obtain:

\(\displaystyle \frac{ye^{xy}}{2x}=\frac{xe^{xy}}{2y}\)

Multiply through by 2:

\(\displaystyle \frac{ye^{xy}}{x}=\frac{xe^{xy}}{y}\)

Since $e^{xy}\ne0$ for any real values, you may divide through by that expression:

\(\displaystyle \frac{y}{x}=\frac{x}{y}\)

What does this imply?

1. Why can't e^(xy) = 0? What is the reason for this fact?

2. After dividing through using e^(xy), we are left with
y/x = x/y.

I then cross-multiply to find x^2 = y^2 but I do not know what the implication is in this case.

Harpazo said:
1. Why can't e^(xy) = 0? What is the reason for this fact?

Consider:

\(\displaystyle e^u=0\)

What do you get when solving for $u$?

Harpazo said:
2. After dividing through using e^(xy), we are left with
y/x = x/y.

I then cross-multiply to find x^2 = y^2 but I do not know what the implication is in this case.

Okay, you correctly found $x^2=y^2$...what do you get when you substitute for either $x$ or $y$ in the constraint?

MarkFL said:
Consider:

\(\displaystyle e^u=0\)

Okay, you correctly found $x^2=y^2$...what do you get when you substitute for either $x$ or $y$ in the constraint?

1. e^u = 0

Solving for u we get undefined.

2. I will plug either x^2 or y^2 into the constraint and get back to you later.

MarkFL said:
Consider:

\(\displaystyle e^u=0\)

Ok. I will take it from x^2 = y^2. I decided to plug x^2 for y^2 in the given constraint which is x^2 + y^2 = 8.

x^2 + x^2 = 8

After doing algebra, I found x to be -2 and 2.

I then substituted x = -2 & x = 2 into the constraint to find the y value(s).

I found the following 4 points which I denoted using A through D:

A (-2, 2)

B (-2, -2)

C (2, 2)

D (2, -2)

I rejected points A, B, and D because they fall outside of quadrant 1.

The critical point is (2, 2).

I finally substituted the critical point (2, 2) into the original function. I found the max value to be e^4 > 0. This max value happens at the critical point (2, 2).

What do you say?

I agree that the point $(2,2)$, is the only one that meets all criteria. Now we need to compare the value of $f$ at another point on the constraint, such as $(\sqrt{5},\sqrt{3})$, to determine if our critical point is a maximum or a minimum...what do you find?

MarkFL said:
I agree that the point $(2,2)$, is the only one that meets all criteria. Now we need to compare the value of $f$ at another point on the constraint, such as $(\sqrt{5},\sqrt{3})$, to determine if our critical point is a maximum or a minimum...what do you find?

1. In Terms of the other point, where did it come from? Did it come from quadrant 1?

2. The back of the book tells me that I am correct. The max value is e^4 and it can only be found at the critical point (2, 2).

3. How can I solve this problem using Lagrange Multipliers? Like I said in another post, I enjoy working with Lambda.

I arbitrarily chose another point on the constraint, so that we could do a comparison like I mentioned just now in the other thread. :D

MarkFL said:
I arbitrarily chose another point on the constraint, so that we could do a comparison like I mentioned just now in the other thread. :D

Good information. I have two more questions in terms of Lagrange Multipliers. The next chapter is DOUBLE INTEGRALS. Remember that I only present my questions after trying several times on my own.

1. What is the purpose of Lagrange Multipliers 2?

Lagrange Multipliers 2 is a mathematical technique used to optimize a function subject to one or more constraints. It helps find the maximum or minimum values of a function while satisfying the given constraints.

2. How does Lagrange Multipliers 2 differ from Lagrange Multipliers 1?

Lagrange Multipliers 2 is an extension of Lagrange Multipliers 1, which is used to optimize a function with only one constraint. In Lagrange Multipliers 2, multiple constraints can be incorporated into the optimization process.

3. Can Lagrange Multipliers 2 be applied to non-linear functions?

Yes, Lagrange Multipliers 2 can be applied to both linear and non-linear functions. It is a versatile technique that can handle a wide range of optimization problems.

4. How does one use Lagrange Multipliers 2 in practical applications?

Lagrange Multipliers 2 can be used in various fields such as economics, engineering, and physics to optimize systems subject to constraints. It helps in finding the optimal values for variables in a system while satisfying the given constraints.

5. Are there any limitations to using Lagrange Multipliers 2?

One limitation of Lagrange Multipliers 2 is that it may not always find the global maximum or minimum of a function. It can also be computationally expensive for complex systems with multiple constraints. Additionally, it may not be applicable to all types of optimization problems.