Lagrange multipliers for extreme values

In summary, Lagrange multipliers are a useful tool for finding extreme values of a function subject to constraints. They work by introducing a new variable and setting up a system of equations with the constraints. They should be used in situations where optimization is needed, and have the advantage of being systematic and considering multiple constraints. However, they may not always give the global extreme values and can become more complicated for complex problems.
skate_nerd
The problem given is to find the local extreme values of \(f(x,y)=x^2y\) on the line \(x+y=3\). I went through the system of equations with the partial derivatives of \(x\), \(y\), and \(\lambda\), and found two extreme points \((0,3)\) and \((2,1)\). Plugging that into the original function I found \(f(0,3)=0\) and \(f(2,1)=4\). So from what I have learned so far, that means that \((0,3)\) is the minimum and \((2,1)\) is the maximum, correct?
Then how come if I find some other point that lies on the line \(x+y=3\) such as \((8,-5)\), that would be a negative number when plugged into \(x^2y\)? Wouldn't mean that \((0,3)\) isn't actually the minimum? Maybe I am misunderstanding the way these work, but if somebody could explain this to me that would be nice. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Re: lagrange multipliers for extreme values

skatenerd said:
The problem given is to find the local extreme values of \(f(x,y)=x^2y\) on the line \(x+y=3\). I went through the system of equations with the partial derivatives of \(x\), \(y\), and \(\lambda\), and found two extreme points \((0,3)\) and \((2,1)\). Plugging that into the original function I found \(f(0,3)=0\) and \(f(2,1)=4\). So from what I have learned so far, that means that \((0,3)\) is the minimum and \((2,1)\) is the maximum, correct?
Then how come if I find some other point that lies on the line \(x+y=3\) such as \((8,-5)\), that would be a negative number when plugged into \(x^2y\)? Wouldn't mean that \((0,3)\) isn't actually the minimum? Maybe I am misunderstanding the way these work, but if somebody could explain this to me that would be nice. Thanks

In this case You don't need to use Lagrange multipliers because the problem is to find the maxima and minima of the function $\displaystyle f(x)= 3\ x^{2} - x^{3}$, that has a local maximum in $x=2$ and a local minimum in $x=0$. However $\displaystyle f(x)= 3\ x^{2} - x^{3}$ tends to $- \infty$ if x tends to $\infty$ and vice versa so that it has neither and absolte maximum nor an absolute minimum... Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Wait so are you saying that with these situations with one constraint to the original function you can just find the intersection of the two? If that is the case then what is the point of ever using lagrange multipliers when you have only one constraint?

It is possible to express the objective function in one variable in this case because the constraint may be explicitly solved for one or both variables. It has been my experience that using Lagrange multipliers is computationally simpler, even in such cases.

Related to Lagrange multipliers for extreme values

1. What are Lagrange multipliers used for?

Lagrange multipliers are used to find extreme values (maximum or minimum) of a function subject to a set of constraints. They are commonly used in optimization problems in various fields such as mathematics, physics, engineering, and economics.

2. How do Lagrange multipliers work?

Lagrange multipliers work by introducing a new variable, called the multiplier, to the original function and setting up a system of equations with the constraints. The solutions to this system of equations give the extreme values of the function subject to the given constraints.

3. When should I use Lagrange multipliers?

Lagrange multipliers should be used when you need to optimize a function subject to constraints. This can be in situations where you want to maximize profit while adhering to budget constraints, or minimize energy consumption while maintaining a certain level of output.

4. What are the advantages of using Lagrange multipliers?

One advantage of using Lagrange multipliers is that they provide a systematic and efficient method for finding extreme values of a function subject to constraints. They also allow for the consideration of multiple constraints simultaneously, which may not be possible using other methods.

5. Are there any limitations to using Lagrange multipliers?

One limitation of using Lagrange multipliers is that they may not always give the global maximum or minimum of a function, but rather a local one. In addition, the method may become more complicated for problems with a large number of constraints or variables.