Lagrangian and Hamiltonian Celestial Mechanics

In summary, the conversation revolves around the speaker's desire to learn the Lagrangian and Hamiltonian approach to celestial mechanics. They have previous experience with Newtonian numerical solutions and are looking for a good introductory text for their intended application. The person they are speaking to recommends "Classical Dynamics of Particles and Systems" as a good reference for beginners, with more examples than Goldstein's textbook. The speaker, who is a fan of Goldstein, also suggests the Shaums outline series for additional examples. They caution against reading Goldstein too early as it may lead to frustration and hinder understanding of commonly encountered problems.
Pheetuz
Hi folks,

I am looking to learn the Lagrangian and Hamiltonian approach to celestial mechanics - I have previous experience in Newtonian numerical solutions for orbital motion but am looking to achieve similar things but through the use of Hamiltonian formulations.
After having a poke around this site I have found a few people recommending "Classical Dynamics of particles and systems" as an introductory text to the Lagrangian and the Hamiltonian - is this a good reference for me to use, given the intended application?

Cheers!

Physics news on Phys.org
Or perhaps focus on the subject at hand: H. Goldstein Classical Mechanics

I think that textbook by Marion, to Marion and Thornton that you mentioned is good for that. Goldstein is good but it is more advanced. I think a good reading of Classical Mechanics of Particles and Systems contains more examples than Goldstein and I would read that first. This is coming from a Goldstein fan who read every section and did most problems in the third edition. I also think the Shaums outline series for Lagrangian Mechanics or Theoretical Mechanics provides many examples to learn from. I think reading Goldstein too early runs the risk of learning (or possibly frustration and not learning) many results of advanced mechanics, and being unable to do commonly encountered problems at a lower sophistication.

Likes BvU

1. What is the difference between Lagrangian and Hamiltonian celestial mechanics?

Lagrangian celestial mechanics is a mathematical framework used to describe the motion of objects in space, taking into account the gravitational forces acting on them. It is based on the principle of least action, which states that the path an object takes between two points in space is the one that minimizes the action. Hamiltonian celestial mechanics, on the other hand, is a more general formulation that includes both the position and momentum of the objects, and is based on the Hamiltonian equations of motion.

2. How are Lagrangian and Hamiltonian mechanics used in celestial mechanics?

Both Lagrangian and Hamiltonian mechanics are used to solve complex problems in celestial mechanics, such as predicting the orbits of planets and other celestial bodies. They provide a mathematical framework for analyzing the motion of objects in space and can be applied to a wide range of scenarios, from simple two-body problems to more complex systems with multiple interacting bodies.

3. What are the advantages of using Lagrangian and Hamiltonian mechanics in celestial mechanics?

Lagrangian and Hamiltonian mechanics offer several advantages for studying celestial mechanics. These include the ability to handle complex systems with multiple bodies and interactions, the ability to account for non-conservative forces, and the ability to easily incorporate constraints and boundary conditions into the equations of motion.

4. What are some real-world applications of Lagrangian and Hamiltonian mechanics in celestial mechanics?

Lagrangian and Hamiltonian mechanics have numerous applications in celestial mechanics, including predicting the motion of planets and satellites, analyzing the stability of orbits, and designing spacecraft trajectories for missions to other planets. They are also used in astrodynamics, the study of the motion of artificial satellites and spacecraft.

5. How are Lagrangian and Hamiltonian mechanics related to other branches of physics?

Lagrangian and Hamiltonian mechanics are closely related to other branches of physics, such as classical mechanics, quantum mechanics, and field theory. They provide a powerful mathematical framework for describing the motion of particles and systems, and have been applied in various fields, from astrophysics to particle physics.